Why did Brisbane take Aish?

Remove this Banner Ad

Once the potential players start dictating who can and who can't draft them then the whole draft is dead. Maybe, just maybe Brisbane had faith that if Aish entered the draft he understood he could be sent anywhere and accepted that fact.

I think for early picks it is important clubs recruit players that really want to be there, it is extremely difficult to get market value with moving on early draft pick players as the clubs they typically want to go to do not have access to good picks and are reluctant to let go of good quality proven players.

Yes, this is our latest Draft Staff Member:
Fortune-teller.jpg

Eventually the AFL will need to take a stand and ban a player for trying to manipulate the draft/trading season to get to a specific club.
Why and how?
What has Aish, for instance, done wrong?
Banning a player is asking for the courts to rule on the legality of the restraints players are under. I doubt it will happen for that reason at least.

Once the potential players start dictating who can and who can't draft them then the whole draft is dead. Maybe, just maybe Brisbane had faith that if Aish entered the draft he understood he could be sent anywhere and accepted that fact.
Maybe they have a legal and moral right to dictate but regardless in this case and in all others as far as I can recall the player went where he was drafted.

Why even take the risk?
The Suns had him live with Gary Ablett for a week during his final year of junior footy and came to the conclusion that the go home factor was too great of a risk to use their 5th pick on him. Instead they went with Kolodjashnij from Tasmania who had no go home factor attached to him.

Yes, this is our latest Draft Staff Member:
Fortune-teller.jpg

It is really not that hard. When Scott came to us Gibson decided to go, and we had a few players over the years that had bailed. Scott said he would only draft players that really wanted to play with us and commit with us and one of the first questions they posed to the players is do they want to play for the club why do they want to represent the club if chosen.

We haven't lost any players to GWS or GC despite many of them approached, the only player since then we have lost was Greenwood, because he wasn't confident that he would remain in our best side so left for more opportunity.

You just can't keep turning over good quality guys you are putting 2 years of development work into, you just end up becoming a footballer factory rather than a club. Player retention while rebuilding is critical. Brisbane has had a lot of success with finding decent talent outside the first round, this is usually the Achilles heel for clubs rebuilding, who struggle to find good talent outside the first round. With the kind of talent Brisbane has been producing from later rounds in the draft they should have had a much stronger team.

Try asking the players if they want to play for Brisbane, if they don't then maybe you will get a marginally less skilled player with your early pick, but if they don't leave and you don't wate 2 years developing them and then losing them for a late first round pick then you will likely have a much better team in the long-run.

It is really not that hard. When Scott came to us Gibson decided to go, and we had a few players over the years that had bailed. Scott said he would only draft players that really wanted to play with us and commit with us and one of the first questions they posed to the players is do they want to play for the club why do they want to represent the club if chosen.

We haven't lost any players to GWS or GC despite many of them approached, the only player since then we have lost was Greenwood, because he wasn't confident that he would remain in our best side so left for more opportunity.

You just can't keep turning over good quality guys you are putting 2 years of development work into, you just end up becoming a footballer factory rather than a club. Player retention while rebuilding is critical. Brisbane has had a lot of success with finding decent talent outside the first round, this is usually the Achilles heel for clubs rebuilding, who struggle to find good talent outside the first round. With the kind of talent Brisbane has been producing from later rounds in the draft they should have had a much stronger team.

Try asking the players if they want to play for Brisbane, if they don't then maybe you will get a marginally less skilled player with your early pick, but if they don't leave and you don't wate 2 years developing them and then losing them for a late first round pick then you will likely have a much better team in the long-run.

Lets just not be in the Draft at all, right? We'll stick with just Academies.

OH. WAIT. They are considered an unfair advantage and we now need to spend numerous draft picks on kids who would usually be worth a second rounder.

I think that unfortunately for a lot of the smaller clubs, you are about to see that Brisbane is just a couple of years further down a very sad track because of its particular circumstances. The draft as it was originally intended is already in its death spiral.

Unless the AFL actively works to reduce their influence over drafting/trading, player managers will become a greater force where the top draft picks are concerned. They will simply park their prize cattle at a small bottom club for a couple of years then negotiate to get them to one of four or five big clubs as they begin to move into their prime. Player movement may become as commonplace as it is in NRL.

Rinse and repeat that for a few years and the AFL will be the EPL, regardless of salary caps.

The danger for a small club is that if you get stuck at the bottom of the ladder for too long, you will be reduced to a feeder club for whichever big club can offer the most glamour, fame and non-football earnings and squeeze a gun player into their salary cap.

I hope I am wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope Brisbane plays serious hard ball and says he will only go for a top 10 draft pick.

Isn't his contract up end of the year? If so, then he'll just enter himself in the draft and no other clubs would touch him anyway as part of the gentlemen's agreement that everyone seems to abide by.

Guys, no doubt Aish wanted out last year.

Once again. Where's the evidence he wanted out at the end of last year? Concrete evidence, not speculation and hearsay.

And by the way I've never stated that Aish was no chance to leave the Lions at the conclusion of his contract in November 2015. There's still six months to run on that contract and Aish may delay re-signing to test the waters as to his worth. If his worth is greater than what Brisbane are prepared to offer him, then he'll go.

As is his right to do so.

The truth will come out, and then I'll put Roylion in my sig.

:rolleyes: Good for you. What a hero.

Last edited:
Hopefully the Aish situation leads to all first round draftees getting 3 year deal preferably with a 4th year option. 2 years is much too easy for players to just bide their time then leave.

If you want to play AFL then you enter the draft system and you be thankful for the opportunity no matter where the club is based. If at any time you want to leave that club then you can kick up a stink as asked to be traded but the club won't be dictated to by 1st or 2nd year players.

It hasn't helped that Adelaide have joined Port as top 8 & potentially top 4 teams this year, whilst the Lions languish at the foot of the ladder

These kids could always have some guts and confidence in their own ability and try to do something about their club's ladder position, rather than trying to piggyback onto the relative success of others.

Why did you start this thread today and not on draft night 2013? There in lies your answer.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I started the thread today because he's just been dropped again (and rightly so, he's been terrible).
Who knows- maybe he spends the rest of the year in the magoos and he's played his last game for the club?

My whole point is that there WASN'T any need to be captain hindsight to see this happening.
It was highlighted as an issue well before the draft.

And yes pav is a good example of the go home factor not being an issue, after seemingly being a big factor prior to him being drafted....
But freo hadn't just lost 5 top picks before getting him either!

Maybe Aish isn't interested or happy at Brisbane. Maybe he just isn't that good. Junior talent does not always translate into AFL quality.

To be fair, people weren't just rating him on junior form. He was an important contributor in the midfield in back-to-back SANFL premiership sides for Norwood, and was near-BOG in the 2012 SANFL GF as a 16-year-old (current Melbourne player Dean Terlich won the Jack Oatey Medal on the day, for best afield). He did this while weighing about 65kg too, so he was contributing with genuine football skill and talent, not from being a "man-child" type (ala a young Shannon Hurn at Central). Not really sure what issues he's having this year, but I thought he was good and pretty underrated (in terms of Rising Star ddiscussion) in 2014 too.

Come on guys- Brisbane screwed up here big time.

All the signs were there that Aish wouldn't be hanging around. But the kicker for me? Constantly dropping him from the side, the year he decides if he signs on or not. Are they happy to lose another 1st round pick?

Can't keep him in the side if his form does not warrant it.

Come on guys- Brisbane screwed up here big time.

All the signs were there that Aish wouldn't be hanging around. But the kicker for me? Constantly dropping him from the side, the year he decides if he signs on or not. Are they happy to lose another 1st round pick?

Perhaps if he showed some ticker and played well, he'd be in the team. Leppa is treating him as a player..not just a high draft pick.

If be pretty surprised if he went to a melb club. Thought the whole thing was home sickness.
Think he'd be better off getting over himself, signing a 3 year deal with Brisbane, and start playing good footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back