Review vs Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the impression the drink doesn't give a flying figgoo about the actual tap compared to the value a ruckman needs to provide elsewhere. As he said in the presso - as long as our mids are sharking whoever taps it out we will get our share. Hence the problem with Minno because he mostly just seems to thump and it becomes a 50:50 proposition whether that thump goes near one of ours or one of theirs. So is that an asset? I don't think Cordy is the answer and I'm not convinced Bev thinks Cordy is the answer but he may be the best answer on our list. Or Bev may go to the absolute extreme, dump Cordy, play Fletcher/Boyd/Rough through the ruck and just bring Grant back into the side. Would make things even more interesting. Fun times. Hope Griffen is enjoying watching us on the Television :)

Don't tell me there isn't advanced stats or something similar that Bev and the match selection committee are using in regards to Cordy's role - and after all we have won both games with him in the team.

I think you're right but also not looking at individual stats but team stats. Is there a stat that reflects attitude because IMO this is equally important in team selection and team performance.

I thought Fletch was good yesterday and did a couple of very good things defensively including leaving his direct opponent to successfully impact one on one contests. Surely he will play again next week.

Any thoughts?

Also didn't mind Webb going at 70% DE for the match in those conditions. What a player this kid is, get it in his hands!

Last edited:

I thought Fletch was good yesterday and did a couple of very good things defensively including leaving his direct opponent to successfully impact one on one contests. Surely he will play again next week.

Any thoughts?
He was good.
Perhaps we will start to see roughhead as ruck and Roberts takes over in defense.

I've only been able to see the last quarter, how was Talia on Buddy?

I've only been able to see the last quarter, how was Talia on Buddy?
Buddy beat him, but it was a genuine contest and talia never dropped his head. Was continually marshalling the defence and organising his team.

Massive difference in the talk and organisation on field from last year. Massive difference. Guys know their role and work for each other. Wood is a big influence down back in this regard as well.

Buddy beat him, but it was a genuine contest and talia never dropped his head. Was continually marshalling the defence and organising his team.
Really? I wouldn't say Buddy beat him. I reckon they about broke even with each other.

But when the game was hot in the last quarter I can distinctly remember 2 one-on-one contests involving Talia and Buddy, and Talia won them both. Very good game from him.

Massive difference in the talk and organisation on field from last year. Massive difference. Guys know their role and work for each other. Wood is a big influence down back in this regard as well.
I reckon having Boyd down back would help with that in a massive way. Our defense looks so organized, but look who we have down there. Boyd, Murph and Morris when his fit.

Putting all our experience in the backline has been a masterstroke. Who was it that compared the Boyd move to Burgoyne? Great move.

Don't tell me there isn't advanced stats or something similar that Bev and the match selection committee are using in regards to Cordy's role - and after all we have won both games with him in the team.

I have no idea. If he plays again next week then that has got to be the case. We can't afford to keep getting the ball pumped into our defensive 50 from clearances. The dam wall will break eventually.

Your mate Hrovat missed two tackles in a row with two minutes to play but kept working so bloody hard and ended up with what may have been a match saving play. Kid's got character!
Hrovat isn't my mate any more than any other dogs player! Just feel he's underrated sometimes. Probably because it's hard not to compare to what our other young guns are doing. Compare him to other team's players at his age/games played, he's outperforming the vast majority.

Anyway, he played an alright game. It's hard being the sub. Seemed like he was just a bit too excited to get into the game but once he settled he did ok. Definitely not a great game but 10 disposals in a quarter and a half is not bad.

AFL should ditch the sub rule now. It's rubbish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're going by the logic as to why Cordy is currently our first ruck, we'd want a very mobile ruck who covers territory well. I'm not sure if any of those players do that significantly well enough to be worth trading a draft pick for.

From what I've heard, I'm pretty sure that Smith is a special case in regards to free agency.

Was just remembering someone on this board saying before Hawthorn "We have Hawthorn, Adelaide and Sydney coming up. We'll be lucky to come out of that with a win." which sounded 100% reasonable at the time. Well bugger me we got 2.

I think next week though is as big a test as any we've had this year. We'll be expected to win and we should win, but will our young blokes get ahead of themselves? Almost no point beating Sydney if we can't beat St Kilda

Best bloody win ever.

Bob, Easton Wood, Lin Jong, Picken, The Bont, Matty Boyd, Stringer, Dahlhaus. Just magnificent, heroes, all of them.

We were up against it yesterday - excellent opponent, atrocious conditions, shocking umpiring. Must admit I didn't think we'd pull it off in the last quarter, we just looked like we were spent - to find something extra as we did was unbelievable, simply heroic from all of them.

Welcome to the Bulldogs Luke Beveridge.

We are back.

Really? I wouldn't say Buddy beat him. I reckon they about broke even with each other.

But when the game was hot in the last quarter I can distinctly remember 2 one-on-one contests involving Talia and Buddy, and Talia won them both. Very good game from him.

Watched Talia v Buddy right below me for 2 quarters. Buddy beat him, and we're lucky he didn't kick a lot more goals.

Best bloody win ever.

Bob, Easton Wood, Lin Jong, Picken, The Bont, Matty Boyd, Stringer, Dahlhaus. Just magnificent, heroes, all of them.

We were up against it yesterday - excellent opponent, atrocious conditions, shocking umpiring. Must admit I didn't think we'd pull it off in the last quarter, we just looked like we were spent - to find something extra as we did was unbelievable, simply heroic from all of them.

Welcome to the Bulldogs Luke Beveridge.

We are back.

****ed if I could tell the basis of half the frees against us.

**** it was great being there among Swans members. Best live win I've seen. I'm still hoarse from shouting.

Hi all, I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post my question, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how I can watch yesterdays replay online for free (I don't have foxtel...) I've watched the last few weeks replays on AFL's smart replay site with no problems but it's telling me this week that I'm outside of Australia and dont have access to full replays. Has anyone else experienced this problem with the smart replay site? Any advice would be much appreciated :)

I'm having the exact same problem. If it's happening to both of us, then it seems to be a problem at the AFL's end. Hopefully will be rectified soon.

He's almost 25, in his 7th season. If he could become stronger and compete with other ruckman physically in marking/ruck contests I think he could make it. He has good footy smarts for a big man. We've all been very patient and his body failing frequently hasn't helped. What I'm saying is that I don't think he has a clear position (it's nothing personal). Bev knows plenty, but do you think Bev would be happy with the 'huge' discrepancy in hit outs to advantage, giving the swans first use of the footy? I wonder whether this clear advantage that the swans had would have been capitalised on more if the conditions were better?

We'll see what Bev does next week. I'd give him 1 more chance. 1 more season assuming that there is very little improvement ...???

It doesn't really matter what YOU think. Or how many chances you "give" Cordy. It matters what our head coach thinks.

Bev was asked the question during his presser.

He didn't even know the number of hitouts the Swans recorded!

Is that bad coaching when the coach doesn't care about hitout numbers.

Did you see his presser? Just curious.

I also noticed those two kicks by Cordy lead to goals. Those were 2 good kicks ; )

Havn't had a chance to watch the game due to playing footy so have only seen the highlights so far. After the siren went, there were some massive chills going down my spine. The emotion these players showed was amazing.

One excuse being floated around is Sydney don't play well in the wet (although you'd think they would). What people seem to have forgotten quickly is we were cutting them up when the weather was fine, Sydney were struggling to keep up with is until the rain came.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back