Review Round 5 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

There's an argument to be made for simply accepting this as part of the development phase and brushing off the ramifications of that game, but I reckon the boys really need to take responsibility for this one. The theme this year has been about building a 'Winning Culture', not just for the sake of retaining our free agents, but to build a foundation for the club to use as a launching pad for success in the coming seasons. Performances like that are cancer to the clubs efforts to instil a winning culture in the playing list. The complete absence of any defensive structure through the middle - or ability to adjust in defense to West Coast's forward structure - is a really worrying sign for the sides cohesive development. It's obviously been great to see how much individual improvement there has been throughout the squad, but that can easily be undone by the team not developing as a unit. Really hope our midfield setups and running patterns were merely an aberration and not actually a reflection of where the group is currently at.

Hawthorn next week (likely) without Hodge & Lewis is a massive opportunity for the team to bounce back and decide what kind of role they want to play in the competition this year. Can only they demand better from each other next week.

West coast coaches obviously did some great homework and knew how to nullify the strengths of several of our players.

Running mummy ragged
Dragging Haynes around to prevent his offensive game
Shutting down jezza and sunshine with double and triple teams
High pressure that forced turnovers

Team will need to cop a serve from Leon and bounce back against the hawks.

Scmozzle.
Expect the occassional bad effort and happy to stay on board.
Maybe next year will see us tick off the West coast hoodoo.
Onwards to next week and stick with,dont panic Giants fans.
Well said. We are still only a young club and will have days like that. Pumped for our 1st true home game next week.

Dylan Sheil is so much like Daniel Kerr it's uncanny ! Looks like him in size and shape , runs the same and is just an inside bull just like Kerr . Hope you guys keep him
That is a huge compliment if referring to on field, but an equally huge insult if referring to off field

West coast coaches obviously did some great homework and knew how to nullify the strengths of several of our players.

Running mummy ragged

Never thought I'd say this, but we missed Palmer. Having a defensive forward would have helped cut-off their rebound.

Didn't see the game cause I was at work, but sounds like we found a wormhole and were transported back to 2013 with that kind of scoreline.

Saw Griffen's stats. Came with the reputation of being one of the game's elite mids but geez has fallen away.

Good thing is the boys will want to respond next week and hawthorn will most likely have a few structural changes as they will probably have some outs. Plus they may take us lightly. Would be a great way to respond. 48 hours ago we would have said we had a good chance against the hawks after or swans and Gold Coast performance . Hopefully last night was just a bad day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good thing is the boys will want to respond next week and hawthorn will most likely have a few structural changes as they will probably have some outs. Plus they may take us lightly. Would be a great way to respond. 48 hours ago we would have said we had a good chance against the hawks after or swans and Gold Coast performance . Hopefully last night was just a bad day
Im taking it as a wake up call.

Heater's comments about not having/executing a plan B says a lot about where the young group is at. LC would have had a plan B, but you could be excused for thinking he didn't. In the end, LC was forced to do things like send Sunshine back just to stem the bleeding. So, what happened? Was it...

A. LC doesn't have a sound set of back up plans
B. The leadership group on field cannot initiate the alternate plan when instructed
C. The playing group cannot respond when LC and the on field leaders call a switch
D. Weagles just too good for us, no matter what we tried

I'm taking it as a personal attack on my integrity for following the team.

lol, 40 plus years as a st kilda supporter can obviously thicken the skin then..

Massively disappointed that we didn't step up after the 1st quarter and that contrary to Sheeds famous demand, they let someone dominate them..
Our ball use in that qtr showed how nervous the guys were and I think the occasion got to them.

But it's one game in a season, I wont be concerned unless it becomes a trend.
I would like to see Mohr and Hampton back in along with Williams and Barrett, Leon needs to reward NEAFL form and punish AFL form and there are a few who have been down for a couple of weeks.

Having the match against the GC was the worst preparation possible for this match.

In that match, our guys were able to just ping it around without any pressure... let's face it, the suns applied virtually no pressure. It was a NEAFL quality opposition.

However against the Weagles, we were choked. There were countless times our players would handball it to a player whom the opposition would have read in advance and was there to perform a tackle as soon as our player received the ball (or worse, intercept it)

Whilst it was a crap performance, it's highlighted our need to be versatile and not just a one trick pony. Hopefully this will indicate that we need to be able to adapt at the drop of a hat.

Some positives_
Nathan Wilson as dedicated kicker, his foot skills surpass Lachie Whitfield's,
Toby Greene has improved his kicking last 2 weeks,
Tom Scully's form is on the up.

Side note;
Not a fan of the away jumper, particularly the white sox.

Side note;
Not a fan of the away jumper, particularly the white sox.

Hated the white socks - absolutely terrible. Don't mind the away jumper, can even live with the white shorts - but they needed to keep orange and/or charcoal socks. The white ones are just liked we played - insipid.

Running mummy ragged

Good synopsis ...

We were
1 out coached
2 tired, 4 out of 5 travelling. This is an annual problem that GWS and AFL need to address. Maybe a home game at SCG or Blacktown

Good synopsis ...

We were
1 out coached
2 tired, 4 out of 5 travelling. This is an annual problem that GWS and AFL need to address. Maybe a home game at SCG or Blacktown

I don't think the travel is something the AFL need to address. Let's remember the Canberra thing is our club. I don't recall it ever being an AFL pushed partnership. Spotless being out of action over Easter is something we have to deal with and because of that our early rounds are always going to be all over the country. Having a home game at the SCG or Blacktown will take one away from Spotless since we have a deal to have 3 games in Canberra.

What other options are there? Back to back away games in Melbourne?

I don't think the travel is something the AFL need to address. Let's remember the Canberra thing is our club. I don't recall it ever being an AFL pushed partnership. Spotless being out of action over Easter is something we have to deal with and because of that our early rounds are always going to be all over the country. Having a home game at the SCG or Blacktown will take one away from Spotless since we have a deal to have 3 games in Canberra.

What other options are there? Back to back away games in Melbourne?

Winning away is a good habit to learn.

Blaming travel is something we can't justify, maybe WCE and Freo can but noone else is even remotely as effected as they are.

Not watching. Score update on my phone.

Who would keep watching this embarrassing "effort" after the first half?

I'm not going next week. heck them.

Thank god you stopped at naming them and didn't get to the write the song! I'm not sure that "We will surrender whenever we have an off night" would have had the same ring to it. :D:p

#wewillneversurrender

Remove this Banner Ad

Back