Travel 'The Church' in London to close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
Not sure where to put this thread to be honest but 'The Church' in Kilburn is shutting which will disappoint many backpacker past and present.

Anyone who was lived in London probably went to this place over the years. Drinking at 10am, sawdust on the floor, antipodeans everywhere, normally strippers and whatever else went on. Only went every now and then when living near Kilburn but always a day that would live on in infamy.

Disappointing to hear. When I was over there, many a weekend was spent getting messy at the Redback, then making our way to The Church on Sunday and getting even messier. Good times.

Last I heard, the Reddy was closed down a few years ago as well, which is a shame. Both pretty filthy joints, but geez I loved them at the time!

Very sad times indeed but my understanding is that a lot of the Anitpodean pubs have closed over the last few years. I lived in Willesden Green so spent plenty of time at the Redback and Shebu walkie.

In regards to the Church, even thougn I lived in london for nearly 5 years, heading to the church wasn't a weekly event and usually saved for a special occasion such as a long weekend.

I had one of my best days ever after a session there. I have moved back to Oz a but found myself back in london for a wedding and had a free sunday, so along with a few mates we went to the church and got on it. We then headed to White Hart Lane to watch tottenham beat Liverpool 2-1 and then ended up at the Redback. It brought back plenty of memories.

Sad but was always going to happen after they tightened up the visa rules. Just not as many aussies here as there used to be.

Very sad times indeed but my understanding is that a lot of the Anitpodean pubs have closed over the last few years. I lived in Willesden Green so spent plenty of time at the Redback and Shebu walkie.

In regards to the Church, even thougn I lived in london for nearly 5 years, heading to the church wasn't a weekly event and usually saved for a special occasion such as a long weekend.

I had one of my best days ever after a session there. I have moved back to Oz a but found myself back in london for a wedding and had a free sunday, so along with a few mates we went to the church and got on it. We then headed to White Hart Lane to watch tottenham beat Liverpool 2-1 and then ended up at the Redback. It brought back plenty of memories.

Both now closed. God I had some dodgy nights in both.

Nothing beats London when you're young and single. ;)

Disappointing to hear. When I was over there, many a weekend was spent getting messy at the Redback, then making our way to The Church on Sunday and getting even messier. Good times.

Last I heard, the Reddy was closed down a few years ago as well, which is a shame. Both pretty filthy joints, but geez I loved them at the time!

Supposedly due to liquor license violations.

http://www.traveller.com.au/what-happened-to-londons-aussie-expats-2v45e

There's been a geographical shift among London expats as well as a cultural one. While there are probably still plenty of Aussies clogging up flats in Shepherds Bush, Putney and Hammersmith, you're just as likely to hear that familiar 'Strayan twang in Islington, or Dalston, or Shoreditch, or Mile End.

People don't move to those suburbs to drink snakebites and flip through the TNT. They go to blend in to a multicultural city, to do the "London thing" rather than the "expat thing". They drink at trendy bars; they look up events in the more broadly focused Time Out.
This article makes a good point, there are fewer Aussie expats and those who are moving there are less likely to do "The Australian Scene'

I guess that qualified as me. I lived in Whitechapel when I was there, and I generally would go out more in Shoreditch/Brick Lane area. I probably had more European friends than Aussie friends in London.

That said, the walkabout was great to catch up on AFL wit fellow Aussies (was there in 2010/11 so was a good time to be a Collingwood supporter). There is still one left (in Temple) I hope it sticks around

Last edited:
Those Walkabouts were ghastly. I always found odd the brief fad for Australian themed pubs, when you considered the English pub culture is better than ours anyway.
Hey I'm not saying they were classy, but it was nice to watch the big AFL matches there.

Agree 100% about the English pub culture. Although I think the Irish is even better

A lot of the Irish theme pubs around Melbourne are closing too, and the real Irish have moved on from Clifton Hill. Though you know where to find expats if you look around, especially for someone who's into Irish music like me.

Can't understand why Irish & English backpackers come to Melbourne just to drink in Oirish pubs and hang out with Irish & English backpackers - safety in numbers. (and backpacker girls are easy)

That said, the walkabout was great to catch up on AFL wit fellow Aussies (was there in 2010/11 so was a good time to be a Collingwood supporter). There is still one left (in Temple) I hope it sticks around

I watched a couple of AFL GF's at the temple walkabout and they were cracking days.

I remember one year the GF was well and truly finished butthe pub was still packed, their early morning licence ran out at 11am and their normal licence didn't kick in until midday. The pub would stay open but they couldn't serve alcohol.

So about 10.45am eveyone is at the bar trying to buy enough beers to see you through the next hour and they put the old biggest marks, biggest brawls DVD on the big screen and everyone had a great old time.

I watched a couple of AFL GF's at the temple walkabout and they were cracking days.

I remember one year the GF was well and truly finished butthe pub was still packed, their early morning licence ran out at 11am and their normal licence didn't kick in until midday. The pub would stay open but they couldn't serve alcohol.

So about 10.45am eveyone is at the bar trying to buy enough beers to see you through the next hour and they put the old biggest marks, biggest brawls DVD on the big screen and everyone had a great old time.

I remember watching 2006 GF there. In the final quarter when it was close to say the least with Swans coming right back the eagles a massive thunderstorm hit London and took out the TV signal for periods of time. I thought it was hilarious not giving a s**t about either side.

Personally I've never understood the attraction of moving away to the other side of the world, only to mingle on weekends with other Aussies at Aussie pubs. I lived in London for a while but tried to avoid that scene. I went to the Walkabout in Shepherds Bush once on a Sunday evening and hated it. Drunken yobbos everywhere. Much preferred a night out in Camden Town!

'The Church' was a great Sunday completely wasted, drinking a few early morning offies at Kings Cross Station waiting for your crew to rock up.

Then drinking a few more offies in the queue before getting inside and drinking great Aussie Beer like Fosters and XXXX while pissing in a trough.

Then staggering outside completely blind at about 1pm before staggering on to a tube with some Burger King going straight to the SheBu Walkabout.

Those were the f***ing days.

I lived in London for 18mths but didn't really do the Aussie pub thing.

That said I went to Church twice during that time and both times it was unreal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never really got in to the aussie pub culture there either but did the Church whenever friends were over or I just wanted to lash out a bit. A took an american once. Bit too much for the poor bastard I think.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Aussie pub scene in London either but when I was living in Acton it was hard to avoid them as we were within walking or staggering distance of the Redback as well as the Bondi Bar which was another Aussie pub that had just opened when I moved there in 2000.

The Shepherds Bush Walkabout was only a short bus or tube ride from Acton so we used to end up there quite often too, it was an absolute shithole but the drinks were cheap and the women cheaper.

Those Walkabouts were ghastly. I always found odd the brief fad for Australian themed pubs, when you considered the English pub culture is better than ours anyway.
Agree.

I always hated the idea of going to the other side of the planet to meet other Australians.

Did anyone else do the boat races on stage at The Church?

I got roped into it for the NZ team as I was with a bunch of Kiwi mates, I can't skull beer for s**t and nearly spewed after downing my can but we won.

It was super competitive between the Aussie and Kiwi teams.

There was also that tradition where the girls got on stage and danced around flashing their **** at the end of the session.

The Church only went for about 3 hours but f*** it was loose and you got more pissed there than Fev at the Brownlow.

Does anyone else remember the big concrete wall that surrounded the Redback beer garden?

I was refused entry one time at the Redback for being too drunk so I thought ""f*** that" I'll just climb the big concrete wall and sneak in the back way.

Somehow I got to the top of the concrete wall and suddenly realized how high it was but thankfully some good sammies walking past told me to stay put while they got a ladder for me to climb down.

It sounds like a dream but it was real.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back