People of note who are related to other people of note in different fields

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Paul Rodriguez snr is a famous comedian, and his son Paul Rodriguez jnr is arguably the greatest ever street skateboarder.

The Wilson's of the beach boys are cousins of Mike Love (also beach boys), and Stan Love (brother of Mike) a professional basketball player. Stan's son Kevin is also a basketballer.

A weaker example would be Steve Bracks the politician, and his son Nick Bracks. I don't want to discount his worthiness for getting his jobs, but one would assume having a famous father might give you a slight leg up when it comes to beating out handsome man #169 for a neighbours role, or posing for the magazines in your underpants. Speaking of which, was Steve a handsome fellow back in his day?

Are the traits or qualities which allowed them to achieve their success an anomaly, or commonly shared amongst their family?

Sir Francis Galton and Charles Darwin were cousins.
Had to look up Sir Francis Galton. Seems as though the Galton and Darwin families came from wealth, and had a number of academics in their line. Irregardless of the opportunities afforded to them, it's incredible 2 people from the same line can have such an impact on science.

The first 2 examples have nothing to do with nepotism, the weaker example yes.
Easier to become successful at something if your family has money / connection.

Nepotism is going to feature for sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone in the arts/media is questionable if they came after their noteworthy relative. Given opportunities in these areas are limited, yet highly sought after, and ability/merit can be hard to quantify.
Easier to become successful at something if your family has money / connection.

Nepotism is going to feature for sure
Agreed. However, your brother and cousins being in a band has next to nothing to do with you becoming an NBA player.

And I can appreciate that Rodriguez jnr would have had a slight advantage over many of his peers in having the financial means and time to better practice (I am assuming), however this cannot be classed as nepotism. Nepotism in this field would be Tony Hawk's son Riley becoming a professional skater, where he is more Jack Silvagni than Ablett jnr (good enough, but there's not much between him and those who did not make it)...

Paul McCartney is a musician, Stella McCartney is a fashion designer.

Bruce Springsteen is a musician, his daughter is an Olympic medal winner.

Luke Perry was an actor, his son Jack Perry is a professional wrestler on AEW.
Did not know that about Miss Springsteen. Not familiar with how the world of equestrian works, but definitely an unusual mix of talents in that family.

Give me all the money in the world and I wouldn't achieve half of what either of those two did.
Yeah, you've still got to have talent, but there are plenty of people with the talent that didn't have the opportunities some are offered.

Anyone in the arts/media is questionable if they came after their noteworthy relative. Given opportunities in these areas are limited, yet highly sought after, and ability/merit can be hard to quantify.
Yeah it's huge in arts,media, boardrooms etc
Agreed. However, your brother and cousins being in a band has next to nothing to do with you becoming an NBA player.
For sure, your family being rich can help but you still need talent.
And I can appreciate that Rodriguez jnr would have had a slight advantage over many of his peers in having the financial means and time to better practice (I am assuming), however this cannot be classed as nepotism. Nepotism in this field would be Tony Hawk's son Riley becoming a professional skater, where he is more Jack Silvagni than Ablett jnr (good enough, but there's not much between him and those who did not make it)...
Yeah agree

ONJ was also related to Tottie Goldsmith (Auntie I think).
Yes, but same field... Music... Tottie was in the Chantoozies, girlband from sometime in late 80's I think. I never knew until decades later that Olivia Newton-John was her auntie. I think Tottie Goldsmith was in some tv soapie also but cannot recall what exactly. One of her other band members was too. Ally Flower I think her name. Think she was in Sons and Daughters. Cannot remember other member of Chantoozies. Maybe some actress from Prisoner or something.

Last edited:
Did not know that about Miss Springsteen. Not familiar with how the world of equestrian works, but definitely an unusual mix of talents in that family.

Any sport involving horses is very expensive. Equestrian is a rich persons pastime… most people will never be introduced to it young as their families don’t move in wealthy circles and even if they were, they wouldn’t have the money to finance a junior career in it.

Success is where talent meets opportunity, I’m sure Bruce’s wealth would have resulted in his daughter having the opportunity to find her talent and develop it.

Any sport involving horses is very expensive. Equestrian is a rich persons pastime… most people will never be introduced to it young as their families don’t move in wealthy circles and even if they were, they wouldn’t have the money to finance a junior career in it.

Success is where talent meets opportunity, I’m sure Bruce’s wealth would have resulted in his daughter having the opportunity to find her talent and develop it.
Was going to say poor people don't do equestrian.

Rupert Murdoch's great aunty married this guy.
Also Aunty Nora wrote the first ever cookbook for an electric stove.
The Kalgoorlie electric stove - Australian food history timeline

Also vaguely remember reading,hearing that
Mark Harvey (Afl champ) and Mick Harvey (Bad Seeds champ) are cousins.

Anna Torv, star of sci-fi series Fringe and also in St.Kilda based The Secret Life of Us tv series is related to media baron Rupert Murdoch in some manner. Just cannot remember in what way.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back