Filming people in public - when will the law catch up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a lawyer but from what I remember you don’t really have any rights around being filmed in a public place
I think it depends on use, I think, you have certain rights if it's used in a commercial way. It's an American example but Spike Jonze had to get waivers from the people who appeared in Praise You and I assume if you did that sort of thing here you'd have to do similar.

Pretty poor journalism.

According to Barbara McDonald, a professor at the University of Sydney Law School, there's no law against filming another person in public.

That's because there isn't a law in Australia that protects your privacy as an individual.

There are laws that protect your privacy as an individual, just not in a public place with respect to an individual filming another individual.

Probably paraphrased a quote from the professor and misconstrued the point.

My grandmother is quite ill at the moment. My uncle posted a photo of her on facebook, she's in her pyjamas and looking quite sick and miserable on the couch.

This is a woman who never left the house without full make up and dressed to the nines. I can't imagine she'd be happy with that photo being shared with hundreds of my uncle's FB friends, many of who know her.

Privacy has gone the way of the dodo. My question, broadly, is is there anything that can be done?
or worse, now that Facebook would own the photo since it was posted on their platform.

Big no no. I take pics in public and sometimes videos but always try to get anyone in the footage and if I see someone getting in the footage I put tbe camera down.

And no I don't post it on tiktok or any other social media site.

I wouldn't like someone recording me without my permission so try to do the same to others.

This stuff is creepy as hell. I'd chin anyone that did this to me. Should be looked at the same as we look at people filming women in bathrooms etc

My grandmother is quite ill at the moment. My uncle posted a photo of her on facebook, she's in her pyjamas and looking quite sick and miserable on the couch.

This is a woman who never left the house without full make up and dressed to the nines. I can't imagine she'd be happy with that photo being shared with hundreds of my uncle's FB friends, many of who know her.

Privacy has gone the way of the dodo. My question, broadly, is is there anything that can be done?
People just need to be stop being so soft.

I thought this was a breach of the surveillance devices act
Depends on the state, and the purpose. Some states like WA are more rigid. Each state has it's own set of rules.
Evidence would unlikely be admissible in court.

This is not actually in a public place. It's in a private mall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Kalyn Ponga situation is an interesting one under the issue this thread is discussing

Honestly who watches this s*t anyway? It's all so ****** banal.

I have a 7 year old nephew staying with us and it's an eye opener as to what entertains kids these days.

Gone are the 70sand 80s of playing on the street. Instead he loves nothing more than youtube and other social media short videos, made by amateurs about something completely silly like "let's eat petrol station food for the day"

If he's happy and his screen time is low, we are all happy

I have a 7 year old nephew staying with us and it's an eye opener as to what entertains kids these days.

Gone are the 70sand 80s of playing on the street. Instead he loves nothing more than youtube and other social media short videos, made by amateurs about something completely silly like "let's eat petrol station food for the day"

If he's happy and his screen time is low, we are all happy
It was video nasties, heavy metal music and video games in the 80s that was stopping us from playing in the streets like our parents did and they were all soft anyway because they didn't spend their youth at war. People have probably been making versions of this argument for the past two hundred years.

It was video nasties, heavy metal music and video games in the 80s that was stopping us from playing in the streets like our parents did and they were all soft anyway because they didn't spend their youth at war. People have probably been making versions of this argument for the past two hundred years.
Yeah there is a bit of that.

But I recon there is a shift now from DOING things (even if that is playing a computer game, watching a movie, etc) to watching other people do things, or even lamer, watching other people watching other people do things.

You’re right things always change

But the modern lifestyle is a health risk and that’s hard to dismiss with “the back in my day” argument

But I recon there is a shift now from DOING things (even if that is playing a computer game, watching a movie, etc) to watching other people do things, or even lamer, watching other people watching other people do things.
I've long held a theory that a lot of boomer men had fractious relationships with their fathers who could actually tell them how much harder they had it at their age and mean it and they in turn spend the rest of their lives trying, usually in vain to prove something to their dad to get his approval.

Like watching pr0n

Remove this Banner Ad

Back