Best Australian Film Ever

What is the best Australian film ever?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Interview (Hugo Ducking and Weaving and Tony Martin) is a strangely compelling flick.

The short movie Tripe starring John Meillon has it's moments too.

Another one for The Interview, Weaving is brilliant in it. I love his transformation. From memory it came out around the same time as The Boys (Anita Cobby murder)

My top 20 roughly in order.

The Interview
The Dish
Sunday Too Far Away
Mad Max II
The Castle
Crocodile Dundee
Mad Max
The Boys
Breaker Morant
Gallipoli
The Lighthorsemen
Wake in Fright
The Dressmaker
Don's Party
Hotel Mumbai
They're a Weird Mob
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Priscilla
Chopper
Romper Stomper

Anyone seen Felicity?

Aussie film ('78) about a girl from Catholic private school going on a gap to Hong Kong and getting stuck into it, rabbit style.

Had John Michael Howson in it as a pervy underwear shop assistant. Some problematic scenes by modern standards.

Would you consider Blue Murder a movie . I know it was a teleseries over 2 nights back in the day. Watched it many times on Netflix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you consider Blue Murder a movie . I know it was a teleseries over 2 nights back in the day. Watched it many times on Netflix.
May as well because it is a top notch production. Richard Roxburgh and Tony Martin are very convincing thugs.
It also gives me the opportunity to mention the first "Phoenix" series (Russell Street bombing).
Probably a little dated now but was genuinely gripping when first released.
We had better call it a day before we get the derailment hammer :D.

Another one for The Interview, Weaving is brilliant in it. I love his transformation. From memory it came out around the same time as The Boys (Anita Cobby murder)
They did and both movies had a similar look and feeling. Quite grainy and gritty.
Could only watch "The Boys" once.
What they did to Anita was unhinged and bestial.

Gallipoli
Changed the entire country. Anzac day was arguably dying pre-release, from the year it came out attendances as Anzac Day services have been rising annually (Covid notwithstanding)

May as well because it is a top notch production. Richard Roxburgh and Tony Martin are very convincing thugs.
It also gives me the opportunity to mention the first "Phoenix" series (Russell Street bombing).
Probably a little dated now but was genuinely gripping when first released.
We had better call it a day before we get the derailment hammer :D.

I still watch the first series of Phoenix from time to time, again imho, the best tv we've made in this country. I loved Nell Feeney's character as Megsy the analyst.

Lachie : "What the hell was that about?"

Jock Brennan : "Oh the usual. Well done and the toecutters will see you first thing Monday morning."

Noddy Faithful : "Well that's it, the job's ****ed."

Back