Has anyone ever taken a dna ancestry test?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have had a few over the years. Different companies.

Mainly to clarify my work and to prove or disprove family stories.

Currently trying to figure out where a strong match fits. I have a strong possibility but he shouldn't exist.

I have no qualms about 'giving the gumment ' my dna
Have you ever done the 23andme dna test? I’m interested in doing that as they focus on genetic health traits rather than just genealogy.

Have you ever done the 23andme dna test? I’m interested in doing that as they focus on genetic health traits rather than just genealogy.
No and unlikely to

My focus is on my Ancestry test - large database and spending extra free money on YDNA - which I have the basics but the money grab is ridonkulous at times. Which is why its a future project

I did one as I was extremely curious about one side of our family having South American connection. Paid for the test and am completely European. It has at least confirmed our family research was incorrect. They released recently a traits feature which was very interesting.

I want to do one for the same reason. My family thinks we have an Aboriginal ancestor down the line, but I'm nearly certain we'd come back 100% British lol

I want to do one for the same reason. My family thinks we have an Aboriginal ancestor down the line, but I'm nearly certain we'd come back 100% British lol
I was so disappointed to be 51% Cornish , but I do have Sweden and Denmark so I’m claiming some Viking heritage. At least I know why I like Cornish pasties so much.

Cornish , Irish, Scottish, British and some over the border Welsh raiders

German/Polish as well - the current border is Polish the name German
We have similar ancestry lol.

I got a letter from my aunt today and it turns out she's has just done one and apart from what was expected, English, Welsh, French Canadian she has some Swedish ancestry that nobody can quite explain. Has anyone else done one of these?
Never done one but my older sister has so never felt any need or interest to do one myself.
I mean I find ancestry interesting and figured out enough to know if I go back to my 16 great great grandparents, 12 of them come from Ireland,
1 from Wales, 1 from Scotland and I think a couple from England that I a little more sketchy on because it harder to find records on death of one and what boat they came out on in 1840's. But the maths of it has meant I expect 12/16th of my DNA will be Irish origin and the rest in Britian.
I cannot remember what my sister found but I can recall nothing surprised me from it and basically it said the same. I think it had a tiny bit from Western Europe but that probably just means of the two great great grandparents from England link back a generation or two again some ancestor from somewhere close to England like France or Denmark in Western Europe.

I did find out something interesting on Christmas day. My oldest brother and his wife travel a lot and they caught up with an uncle on my Dad's side up near Cairns. I've never seen him since I was a kid but I did not even know he was still alive. He might even come down to Melbourne soon which would be fun to meet up with him as never had much contact with relatives on my Dad's side. My sister in law somehow got out of him that despite never married, I hink he has a daughter that in Canada so that would be a cousin I never knew I had overseas. Have no idea anything else.

As for DNA test, I think it only confirms what you already expect in most cases. However if you were unsure about some link in a family chain it could help narrow a search down.

who gives a s**t

in 200 years no-one alive will remember that you even existed

paying some clown hundreds to tell you something irrelevant that you can do absolutely nothing with is a waste of money that i can better spend on hookers to feel slightly less alone
To find out you’re spending money bonking your cousin

my dad always thought and was told we had come from Irish stock, but one side came from East London and the other side came from Cornwall and Suffolk

my dad always thought and was told we had come from Irish stock, but one side came from East London and the other side came from Cornwall and Suffolk
Never really bothered too much
Irish surname,English maiden name.
50/50

Not a fan of
"Who Do You Think You Are?"
Some b-grader finds out their great/great/great/great grandmother was a lunatic and they start crying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never really bothered too much
Irish surname,English maiden name.
50/50

Not a fan of
"Who Do You Think You Are?"
Some b-grader finds out their great/great/great/great grandmother was a lunatic and they start crying.

WDYTYA

There has been some Brit celebs who have been approached for the show and tell of later being rejected. The researchers spend some months doing the background digging and nothing. I believe Michael Parkinson was one.

WDYTYA

There has been some Brit celebs who have been approached for the show and tell of later being rejected. The researchers spend some months doing the background digging and nothing. I believe Michael Parkinson was one.
That is a good point... because some people wouldn't have anything that interesting to report. 'Another cousin married a cousin, meh.... oh this lady had like 15 kids... meh'.

I never thought about the fact they probably pick people, do research and then film the ones that find out something really cool.

I do like the show, I've watched a lot of the Aussie one. Uncle Jack's was pretty harrowing. Tina Arena's emotional.
Want to get my hands on Shaun Micallef's but haven't been able to find it.

That is a good point... because some people wouldn't have anything that interesting to report. 'Another cousin married a cousin, meh.... oh this lady had like 15 kids... meh'.

I never thought about the fact they probably pick people, do research and then film the ones that find out something really cool.

I do like the show, I've watched a lot of the Aussie one. Uncle Jack's was pretty harrowing. Tina Arena's emotional.
The only episode I've seen was Michael O'Loughlin.

I did one as I was extremely curious about one side of our family having South American connection. Paid for the test and am completely European. It has at least confirmed our family research was incorrect. They released recently a traits feature which was very interesting.

Both are possible.

Quite a lot of Europeans migrated or escaped to South America.

A lot of British ancestry still in South America to this day in different countries.

Both are possible.

Quite a lot of Europeans migrated or escaped to South America.

A lot of British ancestry still in South America to this day in different countries.
Yeah so my family history research had a great great uncle running a banana plantation in British Guiana and he ran off with a native slave woman and had kids. But it seems that story may not be true, just like how my grandfathers part in his hair was caused by the bullet of a Japanese soldier 😂

Last edited:
Both are possible.

Quite a lot of Europeans migrated or escaped to South America

I'm told I possibly have distant relatives in Argentina and/or Brazil because of this. Apparently a bunch upped out of Italy and headed that way.

Argentina had a cricket team way back when that was mainly British expats who permanently lived there so there's a bit of European history there like you say.

I'm told I possibly have distant relatives in Argentina and/or Brazil because of this. Apparently a bunch upped out of Italy and headed that way.

Argentina had a cricket team way back when that was mainly British expats who permanently lived there so there's a bit of European history there like you say.

There's reportedly between five hundred thousand to a million Irish-Argentinians that are the ancestors of those who started arriving in the 1830s-1930s. One of them just played for Argentina in the world cup, a Mac Allister.

Yep, in my partner's family tree his Mum's Aunty Teresa left Italy and settled in Argentina. She had nine kids (including two sets of twins) to two different fathers. The extended family is massive lol. I was able to stalk find a lot of the descendants on Facebook 🤣 with Spanish naming conventions it was easy (women don't change their last names when they get married).
I noticed that a lot of Teresa's children died 'young', in their 50s and 60s. Even Teresa herself was only 51 when she died.
No idea if this is a reflection on the Argentinan lifestyle or standards of living? They do consume a lot of meat etc. Crazy.

I think just about every person that looks into a family history will find something interesting.
I watched one on Sandra Sully some months back. That was about the less interesting one I seen and I kind of felt sad for her at the end of the episode.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back