Has anyone ever taken a dna ancestry test?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gwen's into her 80s now and was curious.
my nan did a ton of research into her ancestry, found the family crest, even went on a trip back to the motherland in either her 70s or 80s

and the end result of that is me still not having a ******* clue which parts of Scotland, Wales and Ireland I come from, just knowing that between my mum and dad's side all 3 are definitely involved

my nan did a ton of research into her ancestry, found the family crest, even went on a trip back to the motherland in either her 70s or 80s

and the end result of that is me still not having a ******* clue which parts of Scotland, Wales and Ireland I come from, just knowing that between my mum and dad's side all 3 are definitely involved
My uncle has done all that on mum's side and I've got boxes of stuff that I ended up with from dad's side when granny died. For us the mystery is mum's dad because she left Canada in the very early 50s, never saw him again and even with the internet there's not much about him that we can find.

I got a letter from my aunt today and it turns out she's has just done one and apart from what was expected, English, Welsh, French Canadian she has some Swedish ancestry that nobody can quite explain. Has anyone else done one of these?
Plan on doing one, my cousin has done one i have done the rest of the family tree,

It would have been good for s**t and giggles if my aunt had discovered some native American ancestry in the test. Her nickname in the family is Hyacinth.
shock-horror.gif

i would like to do it, see how accurate i have done my family tree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was watching a show with Miriam Margoyles and Alan Cumming last night where Alan took a test that said he was 76% Scottish, which seems a bit low for him
890f6477695d3de366a4d3c9ba375794.jpg

I got a letter from my aunt today and it turns out she's has just done one and apart from what was expected, English, Welsh, French Canadian she has some Swedish ancestry that nobody can quite explain. Has anyone else done one of these?
Bumping this.

Yes, I've done my DNA, both my parents, sister, grandma, aunts, uncles and cousins have done it lol. My partner did one too as I was working on his family tree.

As for its accuracy, it will never be 100% and it relies on many people testing to improve accuracy. I mean, mine matches up pretty well with what I've discovered about my parents' ancestries and what I already knew, including the 'communities'. There are some weird things, like my Dad and Grandmother etc having some Scottish in their ancestries but we don't have anyone in the tree that we know was Scottish, but it might not really mean anything. They were just plain English as far as we know lol. My Grandmother also has 6% Swedish ancestry and once again, we don't have anyone like that in the tree, but I guess it's showing how close our DNA is to people from that region? I dunno!

Another example is I have 14% Germanic Europe, and 9% Eastern Europe and Russia. These two regions overlap. It comes from my maternal grandfather, who has German Prussian ancestry - Germans who came to Australia initially to escape religious persecution (from Prussia, now modern day West Poland and I think some areas that are now in Czechia and Austria). In contrast, my Mum's DNA says 34% Eastern Europe and Russia, and 4% Germanic Europe! But to me, it's basically the same thing - some of her ancestors came from that general region and it can't be pinpointed.

As for my partner, he was born in Australia to Italian-born parents. The accuracy of his 'communities' is 100% correct based on what I've found in Italian records for his tree and I've been able to go back to late 1700s in some cases:
1672744628784.png

His Dad is from a large town in Basilicata, and his Mum from southern Calabria. There was nothing unusual about any of this.

And then he has this random assortment:
1672744733611.png

I mean, Southern Italy was conquered by many different groups of people over thousands of years, so it could be related to that, who knows... But it really doesn't mean that much.

Lastly, it's pretty amazing who I've discovered through DNA. Last year I connected with my grandmother's half-sister who we didn't know existed. Long story short, my maternal grandmother had no father listed on her birth certificate as she was born out of wedlock; a DNA match with this lady confirmed she could only be my grandmother's father's daughter from his marriage to someone else. So a missing hole in my tree was solved! She sent me photos of her family as well and I could see a definite resemblance (although she didn't think so, I think it was a bit of a shock.... and her sister didn't believe any of it!!). The DNA didn't lie in this case though! It also confirmed some of my Mum's DNA, her Southern English ancestry which we didn't know where it came from :)

Sorry for this long comment - Ancestry is something I'm really passionate about!

what's the point of knowing this stuff about yourself?
For me personally, I feel more connected to my ancestors, I dunno... I don't just mean the DNA test specifically, but doing the family tree research. I've discovered some interesting things, tragic things. It makes me appreciate where I've come from. Some things I've discovered about a 3rd-great-uncle of mine has given me an idea for a historical fiction novel.
Even doing my partner's Italian family tree has made me feel closer to him and his immediate family. His parents have discovered things about their families they never even knew, and it influenced his Dad to reconnect with one of his sisters whom he hadn't spoken to in years.

Re the DNA, I guess it's helped me confirm what I knew, and as aforementioned filling gaps in the tree by connecting with DNA matches.

I've had an Ancestry DNA test as I'm very interested in genealogy. I started doing it when my grandmother was getting on and I thought it was a shame so much of our family history would disappear when she passed on.
The test has been quite useful, helped me get in touch with some rellies and let me go back further with some lines. One of my new contacts sent me pics of my great grandfather and his family. It was amazing.

I did one as I was extremely curious about one side of our family having South American connection. Paid for the test and am completely European. It has at least confirmed our family research was incorrect. They released recently a traits feature which was very interesting.

i would like to do it, see how accurate i have done my family tree
I have had a few over the years. Different companies.

Mainly to clarify my work and to prove or disprove family stories.

Currently trying to figure out where a strong match fits. I have a strong possibility but he shouldn't exist.

I have no qualms about 'giving the gumment ' my dna

Remove this Banner Ad

Back