Best Australian Film Ever

What is the best Australian film ever?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Have raised a glass to Bazza at the Prince of Teck.

That place has been de-Aussified something fierce! I remember being there in 1999/2000 (millenium in London. Can't remember it!) and you could buy Victoria Beer there. The Poms refused to allow it to be sold as 'Victoria Bitter' as bitter is its own thing and VB is actually some kind of lager. Place was decked out in kangaroo roadsigns and all kinds of crazy 'Strayan crap on the walls.

I was last there in 2006 to see an Iron Maiden gig nearby at a venue that's since been torn down and went to the Teck. Wouldn't have known it was the same place! Looked like a normal pub!

Sad. It was like the Australian Embassy of Drunkards. I loved it.

Picnic at Hanging Rock was just creepy to see as a little kid.
Weird but good movie. Not sure I seen it since a little kid.
Should try to watch it again now.

I have a feeling it will have aged terribly. Some movies/shows are best kept as memories.

I rewatched Knight Rider a few years ago. Wow that sucked. Left me shattered and questioning my childhood.

I have a feeling it will have aged terribly. Some movies/shows are best kept as memories.

I rewatched Knight Rider a few years ago. Wow that sucked. Left me shattered and questioning my childhood.
OMG, Knight Rider was s**t always.....
This sounds more like a traumatic personal experience than anything else.

Shine
The Sum of Us
Alexandra's Project
Turkey Shoot
Bad Boy Bubby

This is an American movie filmed in Africa from memory

It was filmed in Namibia in the Namib desert.

p1101049042-4.jpg

You would think they could have found a location like that in Australia but I think it was cheaper for them to film in Namibia.

I would still consider it an Australian film with George Miller directing it even if he was bankrolled by Americans in Hollywood.

This is an American movie filmed in Africa from memory
It’s an Australian-led co-production with obviously some helpful American financing in there to secure that blockbuster-scale budget. Culturally Australian franchise set in Australia, and was pre-production there, intending to be filmed there but they had to relocate it to plan b stand-in Namibia (still mostly Aussie crew and creative control though). You will notice that Furiosa was back to filming in Broken Hill region because the locations were suitably their regular self again. No slight on Namibia though, it’s always been one of the places I’ve most wanted to visit.

It’s different to other foreign blockbusters that just happen to be shot here, or something set in Australia which is primarily a foreign production. Less creative input and development in such cases, and a more Americanised product.

Last edited:
"Hes not taking my ******* car"

Two Hands
My dog kept barking at a squirrel the other day. I kind of jokingly said "shut your f***ing mouth" and my wife said "we should have called him Wally". Not bad for a Canadian. Was proud. Haha.

Last edited:
Back