Health Caffeine: Anyone ever done decaf?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Eagles NFL, 76ers, Blue Jays
I've given it a go due to some health issues from a bad experience and well to be honest I thought the first week would be the hardest, and while it was hard, it's nothing compared to the drop nearly 4 weeks later. I feel a whole lot clearer about everything in my mind but now I'm feeling overwhelmed by it all. I did not think caffeine was responsible for clouding my mind where I felt like I was zoned out all the time.

Ironically, I feel more focused without caffeine than I ever did with it. I'm going to bed on time, I'm getting solid sleep.

I've given it a go due to some health issues from a bad experience and well to be honest I thought the first week would be the hardest, and while it was hard, it's nothing compared to the drop nearly 4 weeks later. I feel a whole lot clearer about everything in my mind but now I'm feeling overwhelmed by it all. I did not think caffeine was responsible for clouding my mind where I felt like I was zoned out all the time.

Ironically, I feel more focused without caffeine than I ever did with it. I'm going to bed on time, I'm getting solid sleep.

I went decaf about 11 months ago. Haven't looked back. Caffeine's a weird little drug. Effects you in ways you don't realise. I noticed I was much less likely to come home and have an alcohol after a shite day at work after I decafed. Fortunately there is a coffee roaster walking distance from where I live that does a respectable blend of decafed beans.

I also noticed an improvement in sleep.

I went decaf about 11 months ago. Haven't looked back. Caffeine's a weird little drug. Effects you in ways you don't realise. I noticed I was much less likely to come home and have an alcohol after a shite day at work after I decafed. Fortunately there is a coffee roaster walking distance from where I live that does a respectable blend of decafed beans.

I also noticed an improvement in sleep.
I can only think of the caffeine as a dopamine boost. Now I'm not getting it my mood is really flat. Even 3 weeks later, I'm getting headaches and cravings for caffeine. I'm curious as to why other dopamine hits aren't being craved.

I have never done decaf deliberately, that's silly
For reference, I'm referring to eliminating caffeine from the diet, and further to that I had a heart tachycardia most likely from caffeine consumption in an attempt to deal with shift work. It's not a very good experience.

I love my coffee but I think I have developed a bit of a sensitivity to caffeine which is affecting my digestive system so I'm going decaf to see whether my suspicions are right. Only been a couple of days so far so still not sure whether it is the issue or not.

I love my coffee but I think I have developed a bit of a sensitivity to caffeine which is affecting my digestive system so I'm going decaf to see whether my suspicions are right. Only been a couple of days so far so still not sure whether it is the issue or not.
I think once you build up to 450mg or there about caffeine intake has little benefit. I think elite athletes cycle intake up to 450mg and then reset.

To be honest, I'm clearer and more focused now than at any time with caffeine.

Have gone off caffeine before and can completely relate to the clarity, which is funny given most of us drink it get a bit of a pep up. Sleep and waking up are 1000x better with no caffeine. I had pretty brutal withdrawals though, felt like the flu. Currently back on the bandwagon as I just love the taste.

Have gone off caffeine before and can completely relate to the clarity, which is funny given most of us drink it get a bit of a pep up. Sleep and waking up are 1000x better with no caffeine. I had pretty brutal withdrawals though, felt like the flu. Currently back on the bandwagon as I just love the taste.
That's funny you should say that. Third day off caffeine for me and I've felt like I had the flu all day. I actually tested myself for covid even though I only had it a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it's the caffeine withdrawal.

A decaffeinated coffee seems about as pointless as a non alcoholic beer, I wouldn't bother drinking either of them.
That's a pretty ignorant statement to be honest. A decaffeinated coffee isn't pointless to someone like me who suffers from adverse effects of caffeine. And a non-alcoholic beer isn't pointless to someone who struggles with their use of alcohol, or someone who would like to be drinking but needs to drive home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a pretty ignorant statement to be honest. A decaffeinated coffee isn't pointless to someone like me who suffers from adverse effects of caffeine. And a non-alcoholic beer isn't pointless to someone who struggles with their use of alcohol, or someone who would like to be drinking but needs to drive home.

I would rather just drink something else like a hot chocolate or a soft drink since they taste better and also have no caffeine and no alcohol.

I drink black coffee, no sugar. Make it from freshly roasted beans in my own espresso machine. I *in love black coffee man. But I started experimenting with decaf beans 11 months ago. Took a while to find some decent beans. But now, the data is in and for me it is undeniable. I am happier without caffeine.

Well worth the experiment and the learnings. Always with the learnings.

I would rather just drink something else like a hot chocolate or a soft drink since they taste better and also have no caffeine and no alcohol.
I agree and disagree. Coffe can be quite aromatic. When I started out I was drinking a pack of sugar free natural soda a day. Like the Kombucha

I usually go with decaf just for a warm drink that helps hydrate me without sugar. Caffeine is a diuretic so I think not so good for hydration and don’t think it helps pep me up that much but I have a normal coffee before driving on long trips

My local coffee place was out of decaf this morning so I decided to have a regular one to see how I went. Straight away I felt light headed and my heart started racing. Definitely staying away.

I drink black coffee, no sugar. Make it from freshly roasted beans in my own espresso machine. I *in love black coffee man. But I started experimenting with decaf beans 11 months ago. Took a while to find some decent beans. But now, the data is in and for me it is undeniable. I am happier without caffeine.

Well worth the experiment and the learnings. Always with the learnings.
Learnings in the caffeinated beverage space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back