Johnson - enough is enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Seen him go the gut punch on opponents a hundred times, this one slipped low.

I'm comfortable with a fine but Scott & Selwood should be telling him to pull his head in unless he wants to wear the vest all season.

Boys he is a pain in the arse, granted , but that is an accident , there is no penalty there. He falling as well as his opponent , whose in front , how could he be deliberately doing that, he looked like he missed anyway, it'll go no where. Better to get him on something he is really culpable for.
rubbish. He is not attempting to tackle by wrapping his hands around the opponent. He has his fist closed and is trying to whack that player. Sure he might have gone for the stomach, but just because he hits the bloke in the nuts doesnt make him less culpable. IF anything he should get more of a penalty.

Slap him with 2-3 weeks so he can think about what a w***er he is.

Seen him go the gut punch on opponents a hundred times, this one slipped low.

I'm comfortable with a fine but Scott & Selwood should be telling him to pull his head in unless he wants to wear the vest all season.

They gave him the 'pull your head in' speech literally more than two years ago, when he whacked Ballantyne in a nothing preseason game and got himself suspended for Easter Monday (which, incidentally, would have been his first AFL game since missing the 2012 Elimination Final, yep, you guessed it: due to suspension). And we can all see what effect that's had. He's been cited/reported/suspended countless times since then.

Mark Thompson summed it up pretty well, I think last year on AFL 360 (quoting from memory): 'We'd pull him in and say "Steve, can you stop doing that?" And he'd say "Yep, yep, yep, I'll stop." And then he'd go out the next week and do the same thing again.'

And the other thing is that he had very few incidents, prior to that infamous clash with Baker in 2010. The inference is that he doesn't listen and - to an extent - that he doesn't give a stuff either.

Hmm, anyone clever enough to put together a "greatest hits" reel?

He was an absolute freak champion, who is going down (sic) in his own flames. He's now sooky, grumpy, and pissed off he's not getting away with his 'little' shots like he used to.

Won't find many massive hits, plenty of stupid stuff though.
I don't actually think his on field demeanour has changed at all and he hardly ever gets away with those little 'cheap' shots.

Where's the North Fans' sense if moral outrage? They know what an opposition player was 'trying' to do...
They, like most teams supporters, do not have an obsession with the cats that some hawks and freo fans do.

I think he's gotta get a week. Yeah it might have been intended elsewhere, but the intention was still illegal and not in the spirit of the game. He deliberately sswung, got him in the goolies, maybe not too hard, but cant have that s**t happening in the game. 1 week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you look at the footage in regular speed its actually in the motion of the tackle.

As a man who has played the game at the elite level, sometimes when you're tackling a player that motion with a clenched fist is actually very effective.

It can be used to sometimes pry the ball out of an opponents hands of to help with a tackle sticking. What he did was wrap his arms around McVeigh with a clenched fist and in doing this got him on a bad spot. Yes it looks bad, but to anyone that has played the game you would understand how these accidents can happen.

Also, this post is completely free from bias as I am a Richmond supporter.

They, like most teams supporters, do not have an obsession with the cats that some hawks and freo fans do.

I think he's gotta get a week. Yeah it might have been intended elsewhere, but the intention was still illegal and not in the spirit of the game. He deliberately sswung, got him in the goolies, maybe not too hard, but cant have that s**t happening in the game. 1 week.
I legitimately cannot believe that seemingly everyone, including Geelong supporters believe he had intention to cause injury to McVeigh.

Has no one on this forum ever laid a tackle in a game of footy? Sometimes when you go to lunge and tackle a player you can strike the player accidentally particularly when a closed fist is used.

Yes, maybe he could have pulled out of the tackle once the ball had passed and not closed his fist, but from memory he wasnt even penalised for an illegal tackle.

Johnson has to lose the habit of entering a tackle late with a clenched fist, as doing this can cause injury to a player. For example, his tackle on Mitchell in Round 1 could have caused more injury as the tackle caught Mitchell in the ribs/kidney area.

As a Richmond supporter you would think I'd be calling for Johnsons head but Im not. I think the mature way to look at it would be to advise Johnson to work on his tackling technique throughout the next few weeks. He should still practice lunging in, but he should close that fist and have an open hand, as he can better grab onto players and hold them up in a tackle.

This would be a better alternative than potentially giving away a free kick or injuring a player. Although having said that their was nothing technically illegal with Johnsons talking technique but it could be improved for his own good.

I legitimately cannot believe that seemingly everyone, including Geelong supporters believe he had intention to cause injury to McVeigh.

This would be a better alternative than potentially giving away a free kick or injuring a player. Although having said that their was nothing technically illegal with Johnsons talking technique but it could be improved for his own good.

I DON'T know about that....Have you ever heard him speak?....His elocution & enunciation levels bespeak of yokel.

I never understood the adulation he was getting a couple of seasons ago either.

He can do some flashy things, but too often he turns the simple into the complicated and turns it over.

Thought his star was overshot by the media.

To top it off he's now potting blokes every second week. Time to retire.
he only just missed the Brownlow despite missing nearly a third of a season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back