2015 QAFA (B) Central

Remove this Banner Ad

Define 'enough' ?

Teams get no joy from 200 point wins, I think you'll find many of them play silly buggers with their setups and positions to ensure everyone gets a go. If they went flat out for 4 quarters, it would be very very ugly.

I've only ever known the Woodsmen to have one huge thumping win, and that was against Springfield last year by about 250 points. I imagine they only did it because of some rumoured behaviour from Springfield earlier in the year and they just wanted to teach them a lesson.

Whereas in a game vs Kenmore, I witnessed them deliberately gift the opposition a goal for a specific player - so they obviously think the boys at Kenmore are good blokes.
The players get more out of a close game and to be honest they enjoy it more.

Define 'enough' ?

Teams get no joy from 200 point wins, I think you'll find many of them play silly buggers with their setups and positions to ensure everyone gets a go. If they went flat out for 4 quarters, it would be very very ugly.

I've only ever known the Woodsmen to have one huge thumping win, and that was against Springfield last year by about 250 points. I imagine they only did it because of some rumoured behaviour from Springfield earlier in the year and they just wanted to teach them a lesson.

Whereas in a game vs Kenmore, I witnessed them deliberately gift the opposition a goal for a specific player - so they obviously think the boys at Kenmore are good blokes.

Not entirely true.

We certainly rotate our players, but we don't move forwards back and backs forward or anything silly.

No question we kept the foot down vs Springfield last year, they deserved it.

Kenmore bloke was a special case, not much more needs to be said.

They may not have played against us. But sounds like they won't be playing for a while. Did they get red carded as that's a two week penlity. No place for that in any level.

No penalty at all.

Not entirely true.

We certainly rotate our players, but we don't move forwards back and backs forward or anything silly.

No question we kept the foot down vs Springfield last year, they deserved it.

Kenmore bloke was a special case, not much more needs to be said.

No penalty at all.
Well that doesn't set a good example. Now free to do it again. Would hate to see a player get seriously hurt by a king hit. Yes we did the same thing with the Kenmore player. Highlight of the year for me.

Define 'enough' ?

Having experienced plenty of hidings in the early days of UQ's 3rds team and then handing out plenty with the 3peat 4ths team. I completely agree there is not much joy on either side of the coin.

I wasn't at the game in question so I certainly can not comment on what happened there. I have found acting with Class as the winning team in those situations can go along way to avoid unnecessary bullshit. Sure celebrate goals and good team play, but carrying on all day and making a point to insult an out classed opposition makes you just as much of a dickhead as they guy throwing elbows and late hits because he doesn't like losing.

Last edited:
Having experienced plenty of hidings in the early days of UQ's 3rds team and then handing out plenty with the 3peat 4ths team. I completely agree there is not much joy on either side of the coin.

I wasn't at the game in question so I certainly can not comment on what happened there. I have found acting with Class as the winning team in those situations can go along way to avoid unnecessary bullshit. Sure celebrate goals and good team play, but carrying on all day and making a point to insult an out classed opposition makes you just as much of a dickhead as they guy throwing elbows and late hits because he doesn't like losing.

Not sure which games or teams you might be referring to, but I have seen a number of 100+ point wins in this division over the years but I am yet to see a team in front by that much that does "carry on all day and make a point to insult an out classed opposition". Sure you might see the odd guy who never kicks goals get excited when he does kick one, but that is about it.

Agreed.

To all teams credit, there have been some hidings in this comp over the years - but I've never seen any of the teams carry on about it (except maybe Pine Rivers, but thats when they belted sides that actually should have put up more of a fight)

Actually, i think you'll find that the coaching staff from Ipswich would be pretty disappointed with the behaviour of a few of their players. I haven't seen unprovoked assaults /punches in this league for a long time, if at all to be honest.

I am in some way part of said coaching staff. If you wanna go sprouting your s**t, at least go and give the full story

Feel free to post your side of the story. Was he wrong, and you guys weren't actually disappointed ??

I shouldn't have to post my side of the story. What happens on a footy field stays on a footy field. But in saying that, the older brother remonstrated with the Woody player, after the younger brother was hit in the throat off the ball (similar to Hodge a few weeks back, reckless and clumsy more than malicious) I would have done the same thing in standing up for my team mate if I was closer to where it happened.

A member of the Woodies coaching staff even approached us after the game apologising for the incident and congratulating us on the effort we put in. Starting a team from scratch is not always easy

Similar situation but flipped for the Ferny Grove game. The younger of the two brothers laid a tackle which was clumsy and hit the FG player high. FG players remonstrated (which we have no issues with). They took it a bit far and kept targeting him all game, but you make those mistakes in footy, you have to expect that. This kid is about 5'7 and built like a broomstick. Every time he was targeted, our Cats boys would back him up. Thats footy.

Whoever said coaches were mad at him and had him dropped for a full quarter is just talking crap. Did not happen.

I don't want it to sound like I am making excuses. It's more reasoning. We are a terrible team made up of a lot of 17's. We are getting our kids a taste of senior footy for the future. We don't expect to win more than a couple of games, if that, for 2015. We are a club building for the future. But you know what, our kids are out there having a go, against better opposition. We have improved structurally almost every week, we have composed ourselves on and off the field in a professional way and we are doing what we can to create a good culture at the club.

Small steps are being taken towards a long term gain

Went down to Sherwood to check out the game of the week, Woodies v Cats..! What a flogging it was. I thought Jimboomba were dirty when they are loosing.. Ipswich hey, just must be in the blood.

You have got to be joking you claim Jimboomba are dirty, Over the years Jimboomba woodsmen Collingwood park Zillmere Pine rivers have all played in some of the best games in the competion, Woodmen and Jimboomba have played in some very close games including a final that went into over time and its been played like football should be played hard at the ball and win at all cost. Zillmere would be the same you don't need to have been born yesterday that the year they won the flag Danny would have had his guys going at 110% and Woodsmen last year were tough and strong and both team won a flag playing great football. What makes a Jimboomba player dirty in your mind because they tackle and play hard my god its a men game and if you want to play touch theirs a new competion called women's football but judging by what l see their they tackle and bump as hard as the men.

You don't win a flag sheep dogging you win going hard at the ball and that's the way Jimboomba woodsmen Yeronga logan bribie murri mavs did many many moons ago. As for the Ipswich sides they will accept defeat yes its hard but they will also rise and when they do look out their a great bunch of guys making your comp the second best in Brisbane in 2015

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar situation but flipped for the Ferny Grove game. The younger of the two brothers laid a tackle which was clumsy and hit the FG player high. FG players remonstrated (which we have no issues with). They took it a bit far and kept targeting him all game, but you make those mistakes in footy, you have to expect that. This kid is about 5'7 and built like a broomstick. Every time he was targeted, our Cats boys would back him up. Thats footy.

Whoever said coaches were mad at him and had him dropped for a full quarter is just talking crap. Did not happen.

I don't want it to sound like I am making excuses. It's more reasoning. We are a terrible team made up of a lot of 17's. We are getting our kids a taste of senior footy for the future. We don't expect to win more than a couple of games, if that, for 2015. We are a club building for the future. But you know what, our kids are out there having a go, against better opposition. We have improved structurally almost every week, we have composed ourselves on and off the field in a professional way and we are doing what we can to create a good culture at the club.

No point kids playing senior football if they aren't up to it though. Should be playing juniors and developing their game, not getting thrashed every week.

I have not seen a real dirty player or a team whinging and moaning this year. We have played jimboomba zillmere Ipswich mayne and uq. Sure some teams are a bit raw and clumsey but that's footy. We are always putting out new blokes every week. They too are learning the game. Which I might add is pretty tough for guys who don't have a background in afl. If teams have a lot of young lads playing then good luck to them. Sounds like the young boys from Ipswich play juniors as well as seniors. Great attitude for young boys. Umpires need to watch more than just the ball movement. If something untoward happens use the authority you have and card them. I don't think anyone goes out there to be a dirty player but if frustrated or looking for payback that's when s**t happens. As for a social league I don't get that. Tell that to all the players who put in every week and I think you'll find they all play to win. It might not happen but you all start even at the first bounce. We have all been on the end of some hidings in our time and fronting up every week shows good spirit. I'm new to this league but not to footy and no matter what level you play its always hard work.

No point kids playing senior football if they aren't up to it though. Should be playing juniors and developing their game, not getting thrashed every week.
by far the silliest comment on here the league was designed to give the younger kids the chance to development their skills to see if they could play seniors for teams like Yeronga Wilston grange Morningside.
Some players take years to develop some don't but that's what older team mates are for back yourself and back your team mates and protect the first year players

I played Friday and didn't see the incident. The guys I played on we're all good guys. But I will say. It is never ok to come in 3 Rd man and hit a guy who isn't looking. ( if that is what happened ).

Good to have 2 sides of the story re the fists of fury incidents. Not withstanding what may have happened in the lead up, these actions have to be punished. To date the comp appears to have a good record but with more teams joining the potential for trouble will of course increase. This comp is no place (nor any comp for that matter) for thuggery, in fact it should be the polar opposite.

Really disappointing to hear of no reports for striking. Morro, if you stumble upon this, what's the umpires standard on these type of events? I'm not filled with confidence at the umpires ability to deal with hot heads in the comp.

It should be that, you throw a punch you get red carded, that's it. Park up on the pine, take a deep breath and let the fact that you've let your team mates down sink in. Then we'll see ya at the tribunal to hear your side of the story.

All good to look after your team mates, running over and clocking a bloke from behind is a coward act plain and simple. The old attitudes of these acts staying on the field etc, nope not any more, not when thuggery is concerned. The league needs to be made aware of who's involved and ensure they get put on a leash real quick. It's not the 80's anymore.

These ipswich kids may find themselves in a big spot of bother if they happen to clock the wrong bloke.

word is Jacob Guise and Josh Murray both collided at training last night and both guys will miss 2 to 4 weeks. So much for the great recruitment of guise its backfired.
Accidents are accident im sure guise and Murray will bounce back just sad they miss those games

These ipswich kids may find themselves in a big spot of bother if they happen to clock the wrong bloke.
never a true word said every dog gets their day but im pretty sure those in both Ipswich clubs wont put up with too much crap before they dish their own punishment out

Lol. It happened.
I was there, waiting for him to come back on the field. He was going to be on the receiving end of some of the relentless s**t he was going on with, with a number of our players. He eventually came on with about 5 minutes to go.

My advice to him, especially if he's built like a "broomstick", would be to maybe just play footy and put the rest of the s**t to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice to him, especially if he's built like a "broomstick", would be to maybe just play footy and put the rest of the s**t to bed.

I can assure you no one was dragged for any reasons along them lines. So whoever was off was not for any of the above mentioned reasons?

And if you re-read how the situation panned out, you might want to rephrase that. It was a clumsy tackle which clocked the FG high. Remonstrations were had and we can't argue with that. That's footy. But it was your team who wouldn't put it to bed. It was your team that wanted to keep 'targeting' this player for the rest of the game based on something that was obviously not malicious or spiteful. That to me is not football.

I can assure you no one was dragged for any reasons along them lines. So whoever was off was not for any of the above mentioned reasons?

And if you re-read how the situation panned out, you might want to rephrase that. It was a clumsy tackle which clocked the FG high. Remonstrations were had and we can't argue with that. That's footy. But it was your team who wouldn't put it to bed. It was your team that wanted to keep 'targeting' this player for the rest of the game based on something that was obviously not malicious or spiteful. That to me is not football.
Because it wasn't just simply that tackle. Yes, it escalated the situation but more importantly - It was the crap he was going on with off the ball, and there was plenty of it. You think he was targeted for a high shot? Wake up mate, he had already made himself a target before that.

Remember though, the cats were a last minute team in this comp. I admire what they've done in the limited time they've had. They gave us a tough match and all of the above bullshit aside, they tried and tried their guts out all night. If your team is going to go down, you'd want them to lose like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back