Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Thread X

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Carlton just don't know what it takes to be successful in a national competition anymore. They seriously are the new Richmond.

You can't buy your premierships anymore. Their decisions seem very rushed and not calculated.

Carlton was once the club you can bank on to appear in a prelim or two. Now you can bank on Carlton embarrassing themselves while picking up a couple of spoons.

Of course we haven't won a final in a long time, but the struggle is more emphasized with Carlton due to the 'losing culture' they have.

Egos too often come into play in football clubs and leagues. Clearly the VFL hierarchy took exception to comments made by Beveridge and Gordon and decided to flex their muscle. I hope Minson appeals this as it seems outrageous to cop 4 weeks for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a decent showing by BJ on 360 last night when asked for comment on the Malthouse sacking. Didnt want to give an opinion because he doesnt know whats going on inside the club, also called out the media (very similar to Bombers call) that they have so much power over perception and what happens at Football clubs that they had influenced this decision.

Robbo rambled on something about how it was not easy to write the stuff they do.

It doesn't seem that Malthouse's sacking can be discussed without reference to the 'good job' Ratten was doing because they were within a kick of a 'preliminary' final in 2011.

I heard someone on radio say yesterday that Carlton 2012 was the same as Geelong 2006 and that they simply needed to stick with Ratten. I think you could mount the argument if two years later Carlton had not turned over half of its list. It seems a strange comment to make when footy moved on and left Carlton and its 22 list cloggers well and truly in its wake.

It's almost like everyone takes the bizarre, delusional perspective on anything to do with Carlton because it mirrors the way the club is run.

The reality is that they ****ed Pagan by not accepting the need to rebuild and then sacked him when he couldn't make finals with a list of VFL players. They then spent 5 years treading water under Ratten building an appalling list with the good players they had developing countless habits that are less than what it was required of AFL players, playing dumb and unsustainable football, when they weren't deliberately losing games, and won some finals on the back of a really good group of 10 or so senior players. Carlton then finally accepts, some 13 years too late and 2 rounds into a new season, that a rebuild is required and rather than turning to their incumbent coach who was already part of the list reconstruction and who is a proven builder of lists they decide it's time to white ant the coach because they can't deal with being pummeled during the 'rebuild'.

Only Carlton would have its messiah in the position of list manager, almost like he can bring in 10 elite talents with the shift of a brown paper bag. What about the millions of dollars and the 3 to 5 years it takes to develop the average draftee?

* Carlton!

He tapped him, lightly, on the back.

I don't think a suspension was warranted at all, but if one must be imposed, a week would have done the job just fine. Four weeks is ridiculous.

I can't help but wonder whether the carry on from Footscray has made it worse. They needed to keep their mouth shut.
From afl.com.au:

Umpire Chrystie described the contact as "low to moderate" in force, and said it pushed him off his line as he moved to signal a shot on goal had been touched.

He said Minson had been intimidating in his language when questioning the umpire on his decision.

"From my point of view the expletives were intimidating and the push sent me off my line," Chrystie told the Tribunal.

"I don’t begrudge what happened on the day, that’s just the law."

That sounds to me that it wasn't just a simple tap on the back but rather something a bit more aggressive.

Plus If it's true that Minson touched the umpire twice in one game and was sent off the second time then I suspect the suspension would have been something like 1 week for the first incident + 3 weeks for the second?? I would say 2-3 weeks is about right if the above comments are true.

I hope Bomber tells Carlton no if they approach him the thought of him in a Carlton polo makes me cringe.

Can't see Bomber who's a dual premiership coach going through an interview process which seems the path the blues are going down..

Was a decent showing by BJ on 360 last night when asked for comment on the Malthouse sacking. Didnt want to give an opinion because he doesnt know whats going on inside the club, also called out the media (very similar to Bombers call) that they have so much power over perception and what happens at Football clubs that they had influenced this decision.

Robbo rambled on something about how it was not easy to write the stuff they do.
Was transcribed pretty much word for word by another poster on the MB. I won't tag him here but this makes for good reading. I wish BJ had gone a bit harder tbh because he was dead right.

Gerard - What do you make of the Carlton events today?

Goddard - It's tough to say, there's always two sides to the story, I think the treatment on Mick has been unwarranted or pretty harsh.

Robbo - In what way?

Goddard - Well for you guys to sit there and have an opinion on why he should be sacked or if he shouldn't be sacked. I think it's pretty tough. I just think to be in his shoes it would be really tough. And apart from that, I don't know, I've really got no comment to make because I don't know what's going on, there's always two sides. You guys, unless you're inner sanctum and you can make comment because you know what's going on inside, but we're pretty quick to judge I think.

Gerard - How have you read the day Jordan?

Lewis - Well I think everyone knew it was coming, it was just a matter of when.

Robbo - Why did you think it was coming?

Lewis - Well I read the paper believe it or not. I think their win / loss record obviously adds to that and the pressure was mounting, so I think it was inevitable it was going to happen pretty soon because it probably wasn't good for the club and it wasn't good for Mick Malthouse or the players because there was just so much media around it. The pressure just built I think and a decision had to be made.

Robbo - So I just picture Alistair Clarkson throwing bombs at the Hawthorn board, do you think Alistair Clarkson would survive?

Lewis - Well I don't think any coach would survive

Robbo - Exactly!

Lewis - Ultimately the board makes the final decision

Robbo - You pick a fight with your football club board and you lose.

Lewis - It's probably not the best fight to pick.

Robbo - Mmmm

Gerard then asks Goddard about Dustin Fletcher's 400th and they all have a chat about it and talk about having the coach on the bench on Sunday.

Robbo - I want to go back (directed at Goddard), do you think the media treatment, or us talking about Mick Malthouse every night was too strong? Do you think we step over the line?

Goddard - Not so much step over the line, but I think you guys do realise it, but you guys have such an influence on public perception that you can sway public perception and then I think you can build pressure within football clubs to make decisions and that's why I'm very proud of Essendon, the board and the footy club for sticking by James, and .............. (Robbo cuts him off with a disbelieving tone)

Robbo - Oh come on, that's a lie, they nearly sacked James twice

Goddard - He's still there, he's ............. (Robbo again)

Robbo - It wasn't a lie, I take that back.

Goddard - They listened to us players, and said ...........

Robbo - Don't.

Goddard - Don't. What do you guys want, who's the best to? (slightly inaudible, Robbo talking over him again). Whereas I think boards can be, boards can be pretty quick to make decisions that affects the whole footy club. But going back to my comment, yeah you guys can build pressure within footy clubs and force boards and footy clubs to make decisions, I think that's .............. (Robbo again)

Robbo - We didn't force Carlton , the media didn't force Carlton (getting animated)

Goddard - I didn't say you did, well, if you're going to write about him everyday

Robbo - That's our job, that's our job, your job is to play footy in really difficult situations

Goddard - There's no other industry in the world where you can sit there and comment on who should and shouldn't be fired

Robbo - It's not easy to do that though Brendon, it's not. It's really tough when you're dealing with a person's career and life. Everyone thinks the media just sit back and go, 'oh yeah, beauty, we'll knock that off'

Goddard - No, no, I'm just saying the influence you guys have

Robbo - We didn't influence the Malthouse sacking (in a solemn voice)

Goddard - Well just on public perception, you definitely did. I've witnessed that first hand.

Robbo - But you reckon Mick might have helped himself to a sacking with his behaviour in the last 5 days?

Goddard - I don't want to comment on what Mick should and shouldn't do.

Gerard then interrupts and brings an end to it.

Goddard remained calm throughout and Robbo was getting a bit animated with his voice and gesticulations as he's prone to do.

Robbo backpedalled on the lie comment, got defensive and conveniently forgot the months leading up to the last five days.

imo, the media lit the fire with their constant pressure and they gave it copious amounts of oxygen. Mick in the end just added the accelerant. The damage was already done.

I clicked on the HUN website today, before the sacking, and their first three articles in the sports section were all Malthouse.

It would be good, but they won't. Because it sells papers and generates clicks, and because of when the booing really took off. It's an unfortunate cocktail that will keep being exploited until Goodes retires, whether he chooses to add to the publicity about it or not. It's taken on a life of its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back