Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. People say, why don't they boo buddy or Jetta (though buddy does get booed) and the implication is, is that it's because Goodes speaks out.

Being proud of his heritage or being a vocal advocate means he is a tosser or campaigner, who can be subject to extreme vilification.

Again I wonder, why are people so threatened, why the intense response ,

Andrew McLeod is a massive advocate for his people, speaks out about important issues frequently, does a huge amount of positive work without seeking fanfare as a result. He's extremely proud of his heritage.

How often was he booed as a player???

How is he viewed now??

Um, the booing, the jeering, etc. And it's still not intimidating to someone sitting in a crowd of people. I'm not sure you'll ever get it though.
So you're saying booing and jeering are intimidating to a player (thus he needs to challenge a challenge), but making 'war cry' gestures are not..

If you know your history you can't really demand that all our indigenous people simply "come together and celebrate" etc.

The reality is Goodes has s**t on the liver about the history and plight of his people.

It's a view he has and when you look at the history it's kind of difficult to begrudge him that.

Opinions vary and they vary amongst the indigenous community too. For somebody not sold on our kinda weak version of "reconciliation", these "celebrations" can just rub salt.

What is this white war dance you speak of? Lift up your kilt Braveheart style? Not sure I'd want to see that!

Lol. It would be funny but you see my point.

If i was to stand in the crowd and raise my jumper and point to my white skin it would be racist but the reverse doesn't apply.

Wonder how it would be taken if Bachar Houli performed some form of traditionally arabic heritage and cultural war dance on the ground?

Andrew McLeod is a massive advocate for his people, speaks out about important issues frequently, does a huge amount of positive work without seeking fanfare as a result. He's extremely proud of his heritage.

How often was he booed as a player???

How is he viewed now??
Agree. That said peeps go about it in different ways. Goodes is decisive. He has a bit of Rob Riley about him. Not a bad thing.

If you know your history you can't really demand that all our indigenous people simply "come together and celebrate" etc.

The reality is Goodes has s**t on the liver about the history and plight of his people.

It's a view he has and when you look at the history it's kind of difficult to begrudge him that.

Opinions vary and they vary amongst the indigenous community too. For somebody not sold on our kinda weak version of "reconciliation", these "celebrations" can just rub salt.
Yeah reconciliation is no where right now. That's why I thought the Goodes dance was pretty cool. Kinda just embrace their stuff. Like let's enjoy the weekend guys!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I live in the NT and deal with real indigenous on a daily basis as well as speak part 2 languages blah blah. You will never see any indigenous kids with an adam goodes or cathy freeman t shirt. They see these people as brown skins or yellow skins as they are not full indigenous but only half or third caste and there is a serious movement here to dna or segregate proper indigenous from the people who claim racist monies that are payed to people who have a tiny bit of colour and are milking it to the extreme. Funny if I wore a " Im white and proud t shirt" I would be deemed racist and all the rest of the crap but people who are only a little bit of colour like to shove it in our faces and thrive on it.

Except in a football sense the Indigenous community has plenty to be proud off, the contribution they have made is substantial and there wouldn't be a club that doesn't have at least one great Indigenous person or in the case of the new clubs they have good young indigenous players who in time may become greats of those clubs.

As long as Goodes hasn't broken any AFL rules, then it shouldn't create any real heat in the media.

Of course there are a number of fans who have booed him for that kind of thing. But to say a much, much larger number just really amazingly coincidentally decided to start booing him en masse immediately after he did what he did two years ago is a bit of a stretch.

Except he has been booed en masse before that incident, it just happens that one particular occasion coincided with the indigenous round and has been jumped on by the media. Goodes copped a massive amount of boos against Hawthorn two weeks before the Collingwood game because almost broke Josh Gibson's legs by leading with his legs. The media even reported on it and the boos and called out Goodes for playing soft football.

But nah, every single incident just has to be about his race.

I call him a flog because he is an arrogant opinionated flog. It's got nothing to do with race precious
Right...ummm you do realise you literally just proved my point.

Why is it you think he is an "arrogant opinionated flog"? Can't think of too many vastly radical opinions the man has except those in which the casual racist disagrees with...

that's hardly the manner to create awareness. as it's shown tonight it just incites anger. End of the day, which ever way you look at it, it's put a negative edge too what is really meant to be a positive weekend

This is what I mean.

"It's a positive weekend, be positive!"

There's many within the indigenous community who after the last 200 years would say stick your positivity up your arse and start fixing things.

And in many ways they have a point.

There'll be many, many indigenous people who would have leapt at the their TV in joy and support at that little symbolic gesture from Goodes. I don't think they'll be too fussed about ruining the whitefellas' positive vibes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back