Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh ffs. It's a challenge to a challenge. Neither needs to be intimidated by it.
If you are not intimidated by a challenge you wouldn't need to respond. You are also making an assumption that Goodes was responding to a challenge... Like I said earlier, as an AOTY there are better ways he could have gone about recognising his heritage.

Agree. That said peeps go about it in different ways. Goodes is decisive. He has a bit of Rob Riley about him. Not a bad thing.

And McLeod was almost universally admired and respected as a player.

Goodes used to be, but he's tarnished his legacy as his career has gone on.

McLeod is decisive as well (in the context you use); he's very strong and very vocal and passionate about the issues he sees... But he's not a self obsessed tosser who tries to be a martyr all of the time.

People boo Goodes because he's a knob; he seems to be so self absorbed that he refuses to believe this, how could anyone boo Dual Bronwlow medallist (he shouldn't have win that second one, anyway) Adam Goodes?!?

It must be because people are racist.

l 28111"]that's hardly the manner to create awareness. as it's shown tonight it just incites anger. End of the day, which ever way you look at it, it's put a negative edge too what is really meant to be a positive weekend
So Indigenous Aussie can only make statements that are socially sanctioned by us?[/QUOTE]

Seemed to be the entire thrust of eddies point at half time. Fine for Michael long to do a long walk provided he does it respectfully and doesn't remind too many of us about our actual history and current practice (boooooooo)

As for that hawthorn legend Dermott carrying on about ancient war dance - just how long ago was it that we had to draw a line in the sand and try to knock someone's head off.

The rank hypocrisy that exists here is a disgrace. We can all say we need public comments about breast cancer or homophobia, but the moment a black man does a dance. Well the sky falls in

Lol. It would be funny but you see my point.

If i was to stand in the crowd and raise my jumper and point to my white skin it would be racist but the reverse doesn't apply.

Wonder how it would be taken if Bachar Houli performed some form of traditionally arabic heritage and cultural war dance on the ground?

The reverse doesn't apply because the context of history just doesn't apply.

Honestly, I think he would have been fine had he done it at the other end of the ground (you'd still have people calling him a flog for celebrating in a thumping), but meh.

As for Bachar, sure, go for it - I for one wouldn't have a clue what that would entail, but I'd be interested to know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CAPITAL FLOG....Hope your happy AFL!....You've created a monster here.

Protected species...Ego out of control....Dummy-spit baby.

How can any right-minded, serious thinking citizen take this boy seriously?....He is an AFL engineered puppet.

is 'boy' a term you often use when speaking about grown men or just when speaking about ones of a certain colour?

And McLeod was almost universally admired and respected as a player.

Goodes used to be, but he's tarnished his legacy as his career has gone on.

McLeod is decisive as well (in the context you use); he's very strong and very vocal and passionate about the issues he sees... But he's not a self obsessed tosser who tries to be a martyr all of the time.

People boo Goodes because he's a knob; he seems to be so self absorbed that he refuses to believe this, how could anyone boo Dual Bronwlow medallist (he shouldn't have win that second one, anyway) Adam Goodes?!?

It must be because people are racist.

McLeod uses his profile to focus attention on the issues.

Goodes uses the issues to focus attention on his profile.

That's why people boo him.

If you are not intimidated by a challenge you wouldn't need to respond. You are also making an assumption that Goodes was responding to a challenge... Like I said earlier, as an AOTY there are better ways he could have gone about recognising his heritage.
What would you have him do that is ok to represent his heritage?

Except he has been booed en masse before that incident, it just happens that one particular occasion coincided with the indigenous round and has been jumped on by the media. Goodes copped a massive amount of boos against Hawthorn two weeks before the Collingwood game because almost broke Josh Gibson's legs by leading with his legs. The media even reported on it and the boos and called out Goodes for playing soft football.

But nah, every single incident just has to be about his race.

It's a whole lot different when it's every week and each time he touches the footy, not just during a game once every couple of months after he's slid into a player.

what will happen when an irish bloke dances a jig towards the crowd in irish round. oh thats right in our equal society only one race is demanding special benefits although to be fair almost all aboriginals are very decent hardworking Australians it is the latte brigade and a few celebs whi are actually causing the divisions.

This is what I mean.

"It's a positive weekend, be positive!"

There's many within the indigenous community who after the last 200 years would say stick your positivity up your arse and start fixing things.

And in many ways they have a point.

There'll be many, many indigenous people who would have leapt at the their TV in joy and support at that little symbolic gesture from Goodes. I don't think they'll be too fussed about ruining the whitefellas' positive vibes.

I wholeheartedly agree - but a weekend that is built around building bridges and bringing people together is built around positivity. My point is this was hardly the weekend for such a display. its a reconciliation weekend, do you honestly think that sort of act supports reconciliation?

So Indigenous Aussie can only make statements that are socially sanctioned by us?

Seemed to be the entire thrust of eddies point at half time. Fine for Michael long to do a long walk provided he does it respectfully and doesn't remind too many of us about our actual history and current practice (boooooooo)

As for that hawthorn legend Dermott carrying on about ancient war dance - just how long ago was it that we had to draw a line in the sand and try to knock someone's head off.

The rank hypocrisy that exists here is a disgrace. We can all say we need public comments about breast cancer or homophobia, but the moment a black man does a dance. Well the sky falls in[/QUOTE]
Yep, you can make whatever point you like so long as you don't make it in a way that is any way confronting to the majority.

Andrew McLeod is a massive advocate for his people, speaks out about important issues frequently, does a huge amount of positive work without seeking fanfare as a result. He's extremely proud of his heritage.

How often was he booed as a player???

How is he viewed now??
Seeking fanfare, or being visible and vocal in the press. Goodes has had more exposure and been unrepentant, there is a huge element of sit down and shut up in the response.

You can be an advocate, as long as you are not prideful or directly confront prejudice, is what many reposnses indicate. I heard Wira used as an example of what is "acceptable" before.

The thing about Wira, is that he has done things quietly. Publicly, but quietly. This reinforces my point.

If you are a good boy and don't upset the apple cart, then good on you. If you re vocal and visible, well since we are the arbitars of what is an acceptable expression of pride or culture, and we find you threatening, then we will vilify you in the most intense way.

And it is intense. The response here is ott, but nothing compared to what happens on the social media,.

Right...ummm you do realise you literally just proved my point.

Why is it you think he is an "arrogant opinionated flog"? Can't think of too many vastly radical opinions the man has except those in which the casual racist

So anyone who doesn't agree with what Goodes says or does is a racist in your opinion? Congratulations you're a complete and utter farking moron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back