"Not allowed to wear long sleeves" at Hawthorn - Why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Watching the players warm up prior to this afternoon's Collingwood vs. North Melbourne clash, Channel Seven's commentators noted that Magpies wingman Paul Seedsman is donning a long-sleeved guernsey today in the cold, wet and windy conditions at the MCG. One commentator noted that you're "not allowed to wear long sleeves" at Hawthorn, to which Hawthorn Captain Luke Hodge, adding special comments today's broadcast, confirmed as correct. Hodge went on to say that forward Mark Williams was the last player at Hawthorn to wear a long-sleeved guernsey, and after he left the club, coach Alastair Clarkson "put a stop to it".

You'd think if a player feels more comfortable wearing a long-sleeved guernsey in particular conditions, that you'd simply allow them to, because assumedly players that are more comfortable will be more likely to perform at their best. I can't really see the negative in allowing it.

What I want to know is, why then would Hawthorn (do other clubs do it, too?) disallow it? Just seems an odd, curious team rule.

Can't think of any other reason

Can you

That reason didn't even cross my mind TBH.

As I said in the OP, I can't see the negative, and I genuinely didn't know why a coach or club would disallow it, hence the thread.

What reason would you wear long sleeves other than to stay warmer? There's no other reason why.

And if this make a player more comfortable during the game, why forbid them from doing it? Bizarre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would you want to be warm?

Because it makes you more comfortable, and you're more likely to perform at your best when you're physically comfortable.

Cause you are soft,

Are players that warm up before the match "soft" too? Should be able to just step out there cold, right, if you're a true "hard man"?

Again, bizarre mindset. Never even crossed my mind to link it to "softness" or "hardness", because that's something that's determined in a football sense by actions, not appearance.

Why would you want to be warm?

Cause you are soft,

;)

Well, yeah :p

But I think it might be a psychological thing. Like, if you're worried about being warmer on the field, well, it's a trivial concern in the thick of it.

It's kind of like some NBA teams banning headbands. That was more of a fashion statement though more than anything, but in Hawthorn's case it could be similar, in that the team looks the same, presents the same way.

Sounds trivial but you never know.

This guy wouldn't get a game then

Love Tucky.

Playing soccer I was always told by the referee to tuck myself in. Why??? It's stupid.

As long as I'm wearing the guernsey it's no problem

Well, yeah :p

But I think it might be a psychological thing. Like, if you're worried about being warmer on the field, well, it's a trivial concern in the thick of it.

It's kind of like some NBA teams banning headbands. That was more of a fashion statement though more than anything, but in Hawthorn's case it could be similar, in that the team looks the same, presents the same way.

Sounds trivial but you never know.

By the same token, I feel like thinking this sort of thing matters and affects how your team is perceived and performs as a unit is just as much of a "psychological thing", placing more importance on it than necessary. To ban it, you're letting it play on your mind as a coach or group just as much as the individual player who does it for comfort or aesthetics.

Reminds me of Arsenal in England, they have had a tradition for the last 20 years or so where the players have to wear the same sleeve type as the captain, who gets to choose. The idea behind it was not to look soft.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back