Not underrated, but overlooked. Who and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

As a couple of clued up posters have said, Garry Wilson.

I'd even highlight the irony of overlooking Wilson for Quinlan, who was a great player and widely recognised already no doubt, and both were in the same team!

The footy world has mostly forgotten this little 70 kg gutsy skilled fellow who rarely played a poor game, took damage from bigger blokes, never backed down, never squibbed, never complained. Just played.

I must say I like this thread. It’s nice to see a thread appreciating footballers (particularly players who don’t receive their dues) instead of saying they’re hype jobs, overrated or plain shit.

Some of the names mentioned has had me reminiscing about some great old days.

Maybe not overlooked that much because his name pops up in the over-attended Geelong-Richmond threads but if they were ignored I’d say Steve Johnson probably fits this category... He was a very, very good footballer in a team full of them
And Stevie J singlehandedly changed the game by introducing the round-the-corner kick to AFL. Hard to think of another modern player, or any player, who so patently changed the way every single other player plays the game since.

1717288125620.png

Paul Duffield - class player on and off the field

Brad Johnson because of lack of premierships and probably Pavlich as well.

Also I really rated Luke Ball as a player as well and doesn’t get many mentions in the better players of that time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back