Opinion Realistically...where's your club finishing and why? (Unbiased edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last - the young players are too young, the old players are too brittle, the mid-age either not good enough or playing a lone hand (Kelly, Oscar)

I can’t see anyone being understandably worse, short of an unexpected year from hell from Richmond/North/Hawthorn/Essendon.

Like most Freo fans I'm cautiously optimistic that our young team (17th for average games played) will be a lot better than many are predicting/expecting - but for mine it comes down simply to whether our coach has become less conservative and like many fans I'm not convinced until I see it.

Teams I am 100% certain we will finish ahead of:
  • West Coast (finally rebuilding but in for at least three more years of challenging for the spoon)
  • North Melbourne (I do think will be better this year, but their defence sucks)
  • Hawthorn (so much hype for so little evidence - we played them off the park twice last year with a less experienced team on both occasions)
  • Richmond (great team, but as is the natural rhythm of equalisation they will be bottom 6-8 for the next few years)

Teams I am confident we will finish ahead of:
  • Essendon (just not enough talent through the spine)
  • Geelong (far too dependent on Cameron staying fit)
  • Gold Coast (need a season of Hardwick before they start to fulfil potential, but their time is coming)

Teams I we should finish above if JLo has taken the handbrake off just a bit:
  • Bulldogs (so much talent held back by a bonkers coach still living off a freak flag win 8 years ago)
  • St Kilda (similar to Essendon but with slightly key position players and a better coach)
  • Adelaide (will suffer like Freo did last year when confronted with a harder fixture, they are coming, but too reliant on Tex)

Teams we might finish ahead of if we get on a roll, but I'm not confident we will:
  • Port (a complete roller coaster of a team - I have no idea how they will go - and I doubt our pre-season game on Friday will make it any clearer because we smashed them in pre-season last year and I thought they were heading for bottom six)
  • Sydney (I see us as just behind them in terms of potential and it will be fascinating to see how they go without Buddy)
  • Melbourne (a lot predicting they are due a fall and clearly a load of turmoil behind the scenes, but I think they'll go OK)

Teams I am 100% certain will finish ahead of us:
- Collingwood, Carlton, Brisbane, GWS

So, we could make 7th/8th, but I expect more likely 10th/11th. Whether JLo gets another contract will be entirely dependent on game style. I am absolutely certain we have a potential flag winning list in place, we just need another season of games into the 20/21/22 year-olds before our window opens up.

No lower than 18th. Probably.
Its also hard to see any higher unless West Coast are filling hospitals for months at a time again.

Wins : zero to five with with the lower limit far more likely than the upper. Five would be a minor miracle, at a guess two because there's always a team or two that throw out a shocker or kick 1.12 in a quarter to lose a game via shank.
Significantly more competitive in the second half of the year than the opening 6-8 games.
Will kick some goals, but bleed many. By far the worst points against in the league, at 2300-2500.

No lower than 18th. Probably.
Its also hard to see any higher unless West Coast are filling hospitals for months at a time again.

Wins : zero to five with with the lower limit far more likely than the upper. Five would be a minor miracle, at a guess two because there's always a team or two that throw out a shocker or kick 1.12 in a quarter to lose a game via shank.
Significantly more competitive in the second half of the year than the opening 6-8 games.
Will kick some goals, but bleed many. By far the worst points against in the league, at 2300-2500.
Based upon last Saturday's scratchie - you would have to be a s**tshow of epic proportions to finish below WCE.

After that woeful practice game against St Kilda underpinned by the dire lack of talent and hard ball commitment on our list, 15th-18th is a lock
I think 15th given teams are going past us whilst we're still shifting pieces around trying to work out our gaps.

Suspect we'll be ahead of the hawks, roos and eagles.

Cats, anything is possible except wooden spoon. Realistically, between 5th and 12th. If injuries are contained to a minimum (already Cam Guthrie is out for 8 - 10 weeks with a quad injury suffered 7 minutes into the "match simulation" last week, so not a great start), Cats could surprise, but somehow I don't think they will surprise.

On the fringes of the eight, i.e. 7th-10th. Too much talent to fall over entirely, but we're still stuck with Hinkley and the same game plan that has failed for many years now.

14th to 17th. We're gonna improve but too young to improve that much. The backline also lacks experience, proven talls and will need time to gel. I think we have an exciting young group that are actually ready to turn things around and that could give us some momentum to add a string of mid-season wins that could take us just outside the bottom four. Worst case scenario we're 17th because even in the worst case I think the Eagles will be much worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like a lot of clubs I think Saints could be anywhere from 14th to 3rd. Just a big bunch of contenders this year.

In 2023 we only won 3 games
However we lost 5 games by under 10 points.

I think with our drafting, natural progression of our 2nd years in Sheezel & Wardlaw.
Larkey who is in the form of his life who should be getting even better quality service.
And a focussed Clarko this season.

With a good run with injuries.
I honestly think we can escape the bottom 4 for the first time since 2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back