"Not allowed to wear long sleeves" at Hawthorn - Why?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just putting into context not fussed as to who made the rule.

If a player of that ilk said I'm wearing a long sleeve today, there's no chance anyone would do anything about it.
Well, yes there is, if it's a team/club rule.

That's what the implementation of team rules are all about. Get everyone on the same page. March as one.

!B0UhppgBGk~$(KGrHqYOKj!E)Olf,jgOBMZ4Mw)IY!~~_35.JPG

Doggies longs leaves looks so much better with the hoops on them

Well, yes there is, if it's a team/club rule.

That's what the implementation of team rules are all about. Get everyone on the same page. March as one.

It sounds fantastic in theory, however it's not a "ban on alcohol" or anything of that magnitude to be adhered to.

I hardly doubt there would be any sanctions if a player broke this "team rule".

It's definitely gotta be an intimidation thing.

Makes me think of the NFL, where certain players/teams refuse to wear long sleeves during the winter when the big playoff games are being played as it gives them a psychological edge

One of the game-day rules for the Bears and Ravens — and I would imagine any mentally tough team — is that there are no long sleeves allowed under your jersey. That reinforces a mentally tough state of mind and it also is used as an intimidator to the opposing team, like a gorilla pounding on his chest in jungle saying “look at me I don’t need sleeves in the cold.”

Trust me players take note.

The offensive players didn’t have these pacts, and we would respect the guys that followed suit with the defence. We would often make fun of receivers, especially because they were the culprits that would usually wear sleeves in the cold. After that first touchdown catch we would give them a pass though.

It sounds fantastic in theory, however it's not a "ban on alcohol" or anything of that magnitude to be adhered to.

I'd hope there would be. If a player is petty enough to not abide by very simple rules for the team then their professionalism and commitment should definitely come into question.

Also hard to have rules without some level of enforcement.

It's to do with a level of professionalism that is demanded by the coach and the team.

TEAM ethos.

Not just the coaches rules, but the players also.

Theres bound to be a bit of the "if you need long sleeves then you're not working hard enough" to it.

Remember when Motlop was dropped for having a beer? Same thing. Team rules. Professionalism. Leadership. How the team wants to be viewed and how it holds each other accountable.

Cool. Why do so many of them wear long sleeves at training then? What's the difference?

It's also not something that would negatively affect performance and recover like alcohol use potentially could, either. Pretty different in the scheme of things, really.

This just seems like rules for the sake of rules, without a real purpose. I know people have bought up the tackling thing, but even that's been disputed. If a coach needs this miniscule stuff to have power over the players and garner respect, then they're running out of ideas IMO. Would be interesting to see how it would be viewed if a MOR or struggling club were known to have such a "rule" right now.

If you judge or underestimate a person on the sporting field by how they wear their uniform, or how they wear their hair, or the colour of their footwear, then you're the fool, not them. Has no influence whatsoever on their "hardness" or "seriousness" or work ethic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like a pretty insignificant thing in terms of not allowing a player to wear long sleeves.

What if Roughy or Mitchell or Lewis or Cyril said to Clarko they're wearing a long sleeve whether he likes it or not? Is Clarko going to drop them or shift them out? Hardly.

They wouldn't play, if they said I'm wearing long sleeves and that's that, they'd be sent home and the emergency would come in.

One soldier replaces another and all that.

About as relevant to this discussion as Michael Tuck and his sleeves. Unless you want to drag out some unrelated shit about atkins of course.

Did Shane Crawford wear sleeves at any time by any chance?

They wouldn't play, if they said I'm wearing long sleeves and that's that, they'd be sent home and the emergency would come in.

One soldier replaces another and all that.

And as soon as they are asked why this particular rule is so important that they'd drop an important player when fit because of it, they'd look like fools. Covering it with some other spin (late injury) would look even stupider, if the real story came out.

Again, placing way too much importance on something that just does not matter.

Cool. Why do so many of them wear long sleeves at training then? What's the difference?
We train at Waverley. Not sure if you're old enough to have ever ventured there, but it's no surprise the players wear wet-suits.

Seriously though, a lot of the training is at a pretty low intensity, and the players kit up accordingly. Not sure there's too much to be gleaned from what they wear at training, apart from it also be a club/coach/fitness manager directive.

Coniglio likes to bust out the long sleaves

Well, no flags for Coniglio then. Hawthorn don't wear sleeves and that's the be all and end all. Apparently.

Jimmy Bartel and Geelong didn't get the memo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back