Mega Thread Oh yeah ... did you know there are 17 other teams? - General AFL discussion #9 - Blues posters only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes our booze cruise pale to insignificance.

Didn't Juddy and our leadership group cop heat over that, strange how Gary is escaping any criticism on his leadership.

#teflon

That would be my biggest concern if I was involved in the club: how many of their younger kids has he potentially dragged into his own problems?

I'm not sure why the term 'problems' comes into account as soon as drugs are mentioned.
Some people just like to do drugs in a similar way to some people like to have a drink and people can develop a drug problem just as much as people can develop an alcohol problem.

Not endorsing drugs by any means but it's not always a problem.........sometimes it's just a choice.......maybe a bad choice but just a choice.

I'm not sure why the term 'problems' comes into account as soon as drugs are mentioned.
Some people just like to do drugs in a similar way to some people like to have a drink and people can develop a drug problem just as much as people can develop an alcohol problem.

Not endorsing drugs by any means but it's not always a problem.........sometimes it's just a choice.......maybe a bad choice but just a choice.
If he's doing that 9 days before a round 1 game, it sounds like more of a problem than a choice to me.

You may very well be right but it does seem odd. Mad Monday is one thing but a week before the season starts? I hope that's not normal.

If he's doing that 9 days before a round 1 game, it sounds like more of a problem than a choice to me.

You may very well be right but it does seem odd. Mad Monday is one thing but a week before the season starts? I hope that's not normal.

It's not a smart thing to do and even less smart when allowing people to take pictures of you.............(read stupid)

We'd be 'shocked to be sitting here' if every footballer that has done some coke put their hand up......Most of them didn't/don't have a problem....they just joined their mates in a bit of fun.

It's not a smart thing to do and even less smart when allowing people to take pictures of you.............(read stupid)

We'd be 'shocked to be sitting here' if every footballer that has done some coke put their hand up......Most of them didn't/don't have a problem....they just joined their mates in a bit of fun.
Absolutely, no doubt with your last point.

I'd just be surprised if there was many of them doing it 9 days before the season started.

The thing is, with Harley it looks to be a regular occurrence for him to break the rules and go off the range. Despite numerous warnings and sanctions, he's still regularly getting caught out making the same mistakes - drugs, alcohol, skipping training, making threats. If he was at our club, I wouldn't want him anywhere near Cripps, Buckley, Holman, DVR, Byrne etc. He seems happy to bank his substantial paycheque each week, and swan around the footy field by virtue of his amazing natural talent, but he's going to ruin his career, his life and, if he's not careful, other people's too.

It's bullshit that he's hung out to dry and his face is splashed everywhere and there's probably 100s of players in the AFL on strikes/self reporting/who think nothing of a couple of lines. All of a sudden he's the poster child for illicit drugs in sport.
While this is true, he only really has himself to blame.

I'm sympathetic to the fact he's now the face of it but ultimately he did the wrong thing. He's just unlucky that he's going to be made the scapegoat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While this is true, he only really has himself to blame.

I'm sympathetic to the fact he's now the face of it but ultimately he did the wrong thing. He's just unlucky that he's going to be made the scapegoat.
I would feel hypocritical judging someone for using illicit drugs, so I won't.

What gives me the shits the most is that the picture is 2 years old. That's bullshit. Why publish it now?

What gives me the shits the most is that the picture is 2 years old. That's bullshit. Why publish it now?
I've never done illicit drugs but I don't judge those that do. As Harks said, it's a choice.

My big problem with what he did is actually when he did it. Imagine if we found out a Carlton player was on the gear in the week leading up to a game. I'd be pretty pissed off.

Absolutely, no doubt with your last point.
I'd just be surprised if there was many of them doing it 9 days before the season started.

Yeah, it's not very smart is it?
Some people will get carried away and develop a genuine problem, whereas most will engage on the odd 'celebration'

The thing is, with Harley it looks to be a regular occurrence for him to break the rules and go off the range. Despite numerous warnings and sanctions, he's still regularly getting caught out making the same mistakes - drugs, alcohol, skipping training, making threats. If he was at our club, I wouldn't want him anywhere near Cripps, Buckley, Holman, DVR, Byrne etc. He seems happy to bank his substantial paycheque each week, and swan around the footy field by virtue of his amazing natural talent, but he's going to ruin his career, his life and, if he's not careful, other people's too.

Of course. Temptations will be around for young men (and young women) and there are people that just won't/can't learn from their mistakes and like you, I wouldn't want them around our young players.
It's not what you do yourself but the influence you can impart upon the more gullible.

I don't get this either. Bennell would be going through hell right now for something that some ambulance chaser has had up his sleeve for months. Really feel for him.

I've never done illicit drugs but I don't judge those that do. As Harks said, it's a choice.

My big problem with what he did is actually when he did it. Imagine if we found out a Carlton player was on the gear in the week leading up to a game. I'd be pretty pissed off.
Speed and coke wouldn't be effecting him on game day if he's doing it 9 days prior, he'd be fine after a day or so.

If he's got an addiction to drugs then I hope he gets the support that he needs to sort it out. If he's just a recreational user like the many other AFL players who are then it doesn't really bother me...I don't know, is that irresponsible of me?

Speed and coke wouldn't be effecting him on game day if he's doing it 9 days prior, he'd be fine after a day or so.

If he's got an addiction to drugs then I hope he gets the support that he needs to sort it out. If he's just a recreational user like the many other AFL players who are then it doesn't really bother me...I don't know, is that irresponsible of me?
If he's doing it 9 days prior, what's to say he hasn't done it again closer to the date? Either way, it's hardly the mentality or preparation you'd want one of your players to have on the eve of a new season.

After watching the footy show last night (never do) I dare say that I have a new found respect for Damien Barrett.
Could have leaked photos of players from the golf trip, but chose not to.
I cant say I know many/any other jurnos who would have done the same.

After watching the footy show last night (never do) I dare say that I have a new found respect for Damien Barrett.
Isn't he contracted to 9? I doubt it was his decision.

I'm more disgusted by the fact that there's an AFL player who may be addicted to drugs who now has his face splashed all over the papers after said paper stated that they would not print names and photos. Where's his right to privacy? This could potentially send him on a downward spiral, but who needs responsibility when you've got papers to sell, amirite?!

What annoys me is that he feels the need to tell everyone about it.

"I could have released names but I'm such a good bloke".

If he was such a good bloke he'd just shut his mouth entirely and stop blowing his own damn trumpet.

These young men can make their own decisions remember. Not ideal but no-one forces them to indulge regardless of the temptations and shady characters they come in contact with.

It's bullshit that he's hung out to dry and his face is splashed everywhere and there's probably 100s of players in the AFL on strikes/self reporting/who think nothing of a couple of lines. All of a sudden he's the poster child for illicit drugs in sport.
This.

160+ players have had at least 1 strike against them.

Bennell has been hung out to dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back