News Phil Walsh RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not really sure how to write this without sounding callous. I guess I should preface that I'm heartbroken he's gone, I'm heartbroken for his family and I'm gutted the game has lost such a character.

The callous sounding part though, is that I also feel cheated. I feel cheated as a football fan that we only just began to see his greatness. I feel cheated as a Crows fan because rightly or wrongly, I genuinely believe that with Walsh at the helm we would have won a flag.

I'm aware that's the furthest thing from what's important right now, but I believed in him. I had this unwavering belief that I've never really experienced in any of our coaches. I was too young to have that kind of grasp of the game when Blight was leading us, I probably experienced it a little with Craig but that was fleeting and I never experienced it with Sanderson.

Walsh was so self assured in his message, he was a custodian of the game. To sit here saying a bloke who had a 7-5 record would go on to be a premiership coach seems like such a long bow to draw on the surface (I could even understand other fans calling me delusional) but I can't waiver from that belief.

We lost a man who was capable of taking us to a flag in the years ahead.

I hope the club finds a way to permanently honour the man through our guernsey's, through the stadium and through some kind of permanent marker outside the ground.

As far as I'm concerned this is the most significant event in our history and will define our club for decades to come.

Your sentiment mirror my feelings exactly.

And it will define our club forever. Whatever we have known of our club, and whatever we have felt about our club, is forever changed.

Still speechless about it, there's nothing really else to say other than grieve. I love that video that another posted posted on our crows facebook page where it shows the players laughing and trying to edge him on while Walsh is getting his team photo taken, then Walsh goes back and sits down with a huge grin on his face, all the players were absolutely pissing themselves, Danger's face was bright red lol.

That moment right there reminded me Walsh had a similar relationship to these boys as Robin Williams from Dead Poet Society. Walsh wasn't just a coach/teacher to these boys.

For me whenever I think of "We Fly As One" I will be thinking of Walsh and the way we have all felt and reacted the last few days.

That motto and the signage at the games we have used this year with the motto on it have to stay with the club forever.

I'm not really sure how to write this without sounding callous. I guess I should preface that I'm heartbroken he's gone, I'm heartbroken for his family and I'm gutted the game has lost such a character.

The callous sounding part though, is that I also feel cheated. I feel cheated as a football fan that we only just began to see his greatness. I feel cheated as a Crows fan because rightly or wrongly, I genuinely believe that with Walsh at the helm we would have won a flag.

I'm aware that's the furthest thing from what's important right now, but I believed in him. I had this unwavering belief that I've never really experienced in any of our coaches. I was too young to have that kind of grasp of the game when Blight was leading us, I probably experienced it a little with Craig but that was fleeting and I never experienced it with Sanderson.

Walsh was so self assured in his message, he was a custodian of the game. To sit here saying a bloke who had a 7-5 record would go on to be a premiership coach seems like such a long bow to draw on the surface (I could even understand other fans calling me delusional) but I can't waiver from that belief.

I hope the club finds a way to permanently honour the man through our guernsey's, through the stadium and through some kind of permanent marker outside the ground.

As far as I'm concerned this is the most significant event in our history and will define our club for decades to come.
Not callous at all. There are so many parts to this, the human side, the players, club and his family. The man himself to all of us. The football club and the impact there, the future. Of course the ultimate importance is the loss and his family but this is a natural impact as well.

I feel the same, not many come along that make you think there's something truly special here. I could see a few years down the track once he, the club and players fitted like a hand and glove, once experience was into the younger guys and Tex etc were 27yo where we could be. Kind of Alastair Clarkson at Hawthorn-like, they just shouldn't be apart and know each other off by heart.

Not many coaches truly excite and light a fire, many are just there to "do a job" it seems. Not this guy. It's true what many said about him, he makes you listen, he draws you in and you pretty well love him. He reflected what is quite lacking today and I loved him for it.

I've just been shattered the last few days, largely for the tragedy of it all for Phil and his family, but also for the players, and even we the supporters, because despite most of us never meeting him he was able to build such a strong bond with us through his actions and words and his PASSION, for the game, the club and our players. Such an inspiration.

The whole thing has been hurting so much, but acceptance is slowly creeping in, and as I focus on that I feel like his short tenure was so powerful and so influential that he has prepared the club for even his own departure. We will be raw for some time yet, but our team, our club, will be back stronger than ever just for knowing this great man.

He spoke of great artworks and the beauty in their frustration, and we remember that great artwork transcends its artist and lives on forever in the eyes of its beholders. Ours is a masterpiece yet to be finished, but we will find beauty in this tragedy and Phil will be with us forever.

It's not callous. He was cheated out of his passion, which we were drawn into.

As we trusted him to lead our team and saw who he was, our hopes for Crows success intersected with his life passion. Football consumed him and we shared in that.

It is natural to feel that way.

Went down to Football Park this morning and laid some flowers at the ever growing shrine outside the admin entrance.

If you haven't been down there, get down there. It's such a beautiful set up, with many different tributes, cards, flowers and mementos left. I even saw an umpire's NAB Cup uniform in amongst everything.

Just got to the oval. After spontaneously breaking into tears all weekend that I can't describe for a man I didn't know it's so humbling and uplifting to see all the AFC supporters turning up at our cathedral to pay their respects. So many kids with their families in the sunshine offsetting the palpable sense of deep sorrow in the air. This will never be made right and we will never understand, but, if you can, get down to the oval today people. It will do you good.

Vale Phil Walsh

#weflyasone

Went to my 8 year old sons junior footy game this morning. All the teams playing lined up around the centre square for a minutes silence. My boys team was arm in arm. Then a ribbon with 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 blue ballon was released into the sky. Truly touching moment. RIP Walshy #weflyasone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a mate off FB

11717190_10206205713256117_1583698824_n.jpg

I struggle for words to say. It's all still a bit surreal ... an emotional roller coaster and I feel gutted right now.

I'm proud of this country and the respect paid to Walsh-man across the weekend. The Walsh family is in my prayers.

Onward and upward. We fly as one.

Vale Phil Walsh - Rest in Peace.

Condolences to all involved. Shocking, just shocking. Some brilliant posts in this thread so thanks for sharing.

I read Robbo's article to my wife yesterday and thinking about my own small children, i was choking while reading the quotes of Phil talking about his son, his own limitations as a father and the story surfing with his kids. So raw and emotional with hindsight.

For me whenever I think of "We Fly As One" I will be thinking of Walsh and the way we have all felt and reacted the last few days.

That motto and the signage at the games we have used this year with the motto on it have to stay with the club forever.
Yes. Who would have known that our 2015 motto would have become the most pertinent phrase imaginable.

#weflyasone has united every team, every player,every supporter this weekend.

I hope it defines our club in the days, months and years ahead.

I hope I never hear the term 'plastic club' again.

Your sentiment mirror my feelings exactly.

And it will define our club forever. Whatever we have known of our club, and whatever we have felt about our club, is forever changed.

I can just see his words - team first, elite standards - becoming the core values for any coach or player who ever comes to the club

He has redefined the club at a time when it sorely needed it, and set it up for the next 25 years

Sorry if it's already been mentioned guys, but for those with Fox Sports, instead of showing Bounce as usual tonight at 7:30pm they will have highlights of the Round 1 Adelaide v North Melbourne match "when Walsh enjoyed a dream debut as senior coach".

I imagine that may be very difficult to see, but some may like to see it.

*Oh, amazing scenes today at Adelaide Oval. Beautifully done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back