Preview Hawks vs Freo - prematch chat in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't rate this Freo team at all. Their midfield is about all it has going for them.
- Defence is s**t
- Fwd line is shitter
- their bottom 6-8 players are all plodders
- they play a brand of football that defends games and not wins them
(Honestly how much better was it o watch the pies go about it on fri)

Down in tassie despite the loss of the big rough and the given the importance of this contest I would expect a very fired up hawk outfit, a different beast to the lack lustre one that showed up on Friday night

There's no doubt we're struggling at the moment, but earlier in the season we were scoring significantly more than we have for the last five weeks. Certainly understand its a winter sport but we've played in the wet 5 weeks in a row and in my mind it's making us look like a much worse team than we are.

In saying that I don't think we'll win this week, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, we struggle against the Hawks elite skills. I'd suggest you'll play us similarly to Richmond, chipping precisely through our attempts to zone, moving the ball quickly and using outside runners like Hill and Smith to cut through on quick runs.

Secondly, 6 day vs 8 day break... in Tasmania.

Third, our fwd line is a shambles. Even if we manage to keep it close, we run the risk throughout the game of you guys putting on a quick 4-5 goal burst and running away with it.

Hoping for a good tight game but thinking we're not going to get one, you guys will come out primed and blow us away early, Hawks by 35-45.

Third, our fwd line is a shambles. Even if we manage to keep it close, we run the risk throughout the game of you guys putting on a quick 4-5 goal burst and running away with it.

This to me is my biggest reason for some confidence. Of course being in Tassie helps with the longer break but at some stage in this game I expect us to have that burst of goals you mentioned and if it is another low scoring performance by Freo then it may be well enough to break the game open in our favour.

FWIW, I think Ross should concede and send the reserves down again. :D

There's no doubt we're struggling at the moment, but earlier in the season we were scoring significantly more than we have for the last five weeks. Certainly understand its a winter sport but we've played in the wet 5 weeks in a row and in my mind it's making us look like a much worse team than we are.

In saying that I don't think we'll win this week, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, we struggle against the Hawks elite skills. I'd suggest you'll play us similarly to Richmond, chipping precisely through our attempts to zone, moving the ball quickly and using outside runners like Hill and Smith to cut through on quick runs.

Secondly, 6 day vs 8 day break... in Tasmania.

Hoping for a good tight game but thinking we're not going to get one, you guys will come out primed and blow us away early, Hawks by 35-45.
Don't reckon it'll be by that much! We haven't been setting the world on fire.

People seem to be getting worried after one good quarter against Brisbane. Not much of a bench mark. We'll be OK as long as the team turns up.

Which version of Hawthorn will turn up ?

Very Good Hawthorn
Good Hawthorn
Average Hawthorn
Bad Hawthorn
Very Bad Hawthorn

Being in Tasmania doesn't really help much as Hawthorn rarely play top line football down there. The good thing is that Freo will have tired legs with all of the traveling they have to do just to get there.

Hawks and Freo were always going to be top 4, just lazy scheduling to give us a two day advantage.

No Johnson No Freo. He's their only backman that tries to create.

Keep the ball moving we win. Play crappy Lyons football and who knows.

No change.

FWIW, I think Ross should concede and send the reserves down again. :D
A few of us agree on the basis, we are 2 games clear, and will still have a really good shot of finishing top 2 even if we lose.

But, the issue is we NEED to play u at full strength, so we know how we match up come finals. We SHOULD be finishing top 4, so it is likely we will play at least 1 final against you. We dont want to be going into a game like that relatively blind. So that being said, I think we will send over a team which is basically full strength, and go down by 4-8 goals.

Our strength has been our mids. We just had our 5th consecutive wet / dewy game, which had 120 tackles, the fourth highest tally ever. I think the mids will be shagged. This will mean our defense (which is undermanned) will come under increased pressure, and will leak more goals, while delivery to our forwards will be reduced and poorer quality.

If we ARE to win, our mids need to really dig deep, and our forwards need to push up and help pressure your ball carriers, so then we will be depending on fast rebound footy - high risk. We will need Fyfe, Mundy, Hill, and Neale to combine for 5+ goals. Possible? Maybe.

I just hope it is a good game. I'd like to see us bring our fast high scoring footy from the first few rounds. A few of you guys have bagged the Ross defensive game, but i think that is a Plan - B this year. We were scoring heavily with run in the opening rounds. I honestly think it was a response to your game play.

gl, hf.

Oh, and all the best for Roughie. Hope he is all good. They need to give him Herpes

Last edited:
Which version of Hawthorn will turn up ?

Very Good Hawthorn
Good Hawthorn
Average Hawthorn
Bad Hawthorn
Very Bad Hawthorn

Being in Tasmania doesn't really help much as Hawthorn rarely play top line football down there. The good thing is that Freo will have tired legs with all of the traveling they have to do just to get there.

Will be bad. Thankfully we can win playing bad

Will be bad. Thankfully we can win playing bad

I was going to say that even when Hawthorn play very bad they can still beat Carlton (JUST) :D

It's been Bad Fremantle for 5 weeks in a row, so then it might be Bad Hawthorn vs Bad Fremantle.

In a battle of who is the least worst

Yeah he was okay I thought. More a matchup thing given Freo's smaller forward line. Would be fine if Spang stayed in though.

Needs to stay in just to recreate this moment from the 52 second mark:

Last edited:
Don't understand the calls for litherland to come back in, has been abysmal when coming in this year. Stratton very down on form, probably lucky Fremantle play a small-mid sized forward line.

Clarko was lauding Stratts's game on the weekend?

Was Spang injured or just resting the ankle?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

None of this 'going with the opponent until half time before trying to step it up a notch in the third' rubbish against the Dockers.

They can close games right down and limit scoring when going 'full Lyon' mode.

Hell for leather early, convert our chances and put a large enough margin between us that forces them to play attacking football instead of this defensive crap we're all used to. When they have the mindset of needing to score, it should make them easier to score against in turn.

A few of you guys have bagged the Ross defensive game, but i think that is a Plan - B this year. We were scoring heavily with run in the opening rounds. I honestly think it was a response to your game play.

I actually visited WA last year and went to the match you guys won late in the season and you certainly didn't play a dour style that day.

I just hope it is a good game. I'd like to see us bring our fast high scoring footy from the first few rounds. A few of you guys have bagged the Ross defensive game, but i think that is a Plan - B this year. We were scoring heavily with run in the opening rounds. I honestly think it was a response to your game play.
So would I. That first quarter against the Eagles was just outstanding. It highlighted Fremantle's attacking skill. It's easy to bag a side until you see that sort of running play decimate an opposition.

I actually visited WA last year and went to the match you guys won late in the season and you certainly didn't play a dour style that day.

I've been thinking about that a bit.

It was one out of the box where Lyon seemed to have a plan B, which was tailored to Hawthorn, to see if we could do it if we met later.

It didn't turn out that way unfortunately

Interesting people's take on Stratton's form considering it appeared neither Eddie Betts or Jamie Elliott played against us recently.............

He's been less assured at times lately, I'll grant that, but when he's completely shutting down the oppos most dangerous forwards, I get the feeling his spot is quite assured.
Gets beaten in virtually every one on one these days. Rarely takes intercept marks or marks from kick ins. And he tag teamed both Elliot and Betts. Duryea was solely responsible for Betts inside 50. It was not a solo effort. Doesn't mean he isn't doing his job in that regard but he is basically do the Tom Murphy job now. Guard guys between the two 50 m arcs and try not to get exposed inside 50. Given the lack of fast transition play (the type of play those guys are going to get the ball and do damage in) by both Collingwood and Adelaide, Stratton got an easy job. The way he is playing I'd rather Litherland. Odd mistake yes but gives us drive and his pace is a big asset defensively.

I think we'll be loading up this week. Win this and we can rest some of our older guys prior to finals. Johnson, Dawson and to a lesser extent Silvagni will also give us that opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back