What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody leave Essendon alone. If they don't want to wear a clash jumper let them be.

Every team has seemed to play them just fine for 100+ years before clash jumpers were introduced. I don't know why the AFL want them to adopt one so bad *cough* merchandise sales *cough*.
Whilst I am somewhat of a traditionalist I think every team should have a clash jumper. The game was different 100 years ago, and there were less players around the ball.

The tradition argument (not necessarily what you're saying) is irrelevant because all the kits now are covered with advertising so what's the point in worrying about not wearing the same jumper as 100 years ago?

There should be less players on the ground. Instead of 18, maybe 14.

That way, there won't be fifty thousand players jumping on the ball every three seconds.

Due to the generally smaller grounds, the VFA used to play 16 a side (no wings), so it's not like all football has always had 18 players on the ground.

Bring back the 5 minute warning, ruins the suspense of the game knowing when the siren is going to go.

Have they stopped doing that entirely? Was that a channel 10 initiative?

Any one that rated Nick Riewoldt as a champion are wrong. He was always over-rated simply due to his goal kicking during when St.Kilda were actually a good team with a decent chance at winning premiership.
The bottom line is that he couldn't handle it in front of goal when the pressure was really on.

However, he is a great player and has improved his goal kicking out of sight more recently for sure, but I believe because the real pressure doesn't exist anymore which doesn't make him a champion for me.
It's his work rate around the ground that makes him an out and out champion. He does as much running as a midfielder and still kicks 3 or 4 goals from the forward line, he absolutely runs himself into the ground every week.

Everybody leave Essendon alone. If they don't want to wear a clash jumper let them be.

Every team has seemed to play them just fine for 100+ years before clash jumpers were introduced. I don't know why the AFL want them to adopt one so bad *cough* merchandise sales *cough*.
You used to be able to tell the teams apart by the shorts. Colored shorts and tiny, tiny shorts under untucked jumpers has ruined that. Plus the addition of large, brightly colored sponsors logos and the sublimation of designs, and the evolution of the game into an almost constant scrimage at times rather than set positions has made it harder and harder to pick out who is who.

These are a bunch of reasons, pick your favorite. BTW, Essendon looked fabulous in grey on Sunday.

I'd be in favour of a red jumper with a black sash. Unfortunately the AFL think red is a "dark" colour and they won't allow this, yet they allow that silvery grey thing. It's tough when your team only has 2 colours. The one I cannot understand is why Collingwood went to the predominantly black jumper about 15 years ago, then claim it's tradition and that's why Port can't wear the prison bars. Eddie McChins being pigheaded, methinks.

It's his work rate around the ground that makes him an out and out champion. He does as much running as a midfielder and still kicks 3 or 4 goals from the forward line, he absolutely runs himself into the ground every week.

I know he is a great player and can bust his guts week in week out but I stand by my opinion.

Champions are best of the best. He was never a good kick in front of goal under the upmost pressure and goals win games

I'll duck for cover for this one, then barracade myself for the next week.

Gold Coast are the modern day Brisbane Bears. They will be "exciting" but will struggle. There will be an identity change and changes of jumpers and mascots. They with then come good and make a few finals. However they will eventually be forced to merge with a Melbourne side such as North Melbourne.

With that, I'm running like hell....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When users on this site call AFL footballers who are not up to AFL standards "spuds," "flogs," etc...

They are still the best footballers approx 1000 out of a population of 25 million and have probably achieved more in their lives than the people criticising them.

I'll add to that, in the eyes of the average BigFooty supporter, every player is either a star or a spud.

We have no comprehension of the simple facts that a lot of players can be average, good, servicable etc.

When users on this site call AFL footballers who are not up to AFL standards "spuds," "flogs," etc...

They are still the best footballers approx 1000 out of a population of 25 million and have probably achieved more in their lives than the people criticising them.
Ive always hated this argument.

I'm not a professional footballer, but that is also not my chosen profession. Yes I couldn't do what they do, but I'd almost guarantee they can't do what I do either.

In relation to set shots ?? How is it any different to any other era ??? Still big crowds, and a goal is still worth 6 points ???

If you miss be sure to see the replay played over and over again on 10 different shows and talked about on 10 others then on the radio then in the papers, Be sure that everyone will bag you and make jokes.

Joe Daniher just a kid being told how to kick by journalists who have no idea, He's 21 maybe we give these guys a chance before we bag em.

If you miss be sure to see the replay played over and over again on 10 different shows and talked about on 10 others then on the radio then in the papers, Be sure that everyone will bag you and make jokes.

Joe Daniher just a kid being told how to kick by journalists who have no idea, He's 21 maybe we give these guys a chance before we bag em.

I'm not sure - these blokes are paid big money to nail their kicks at goal. I reckon we are actually far too "nice" and tolerant towards forwards who routinely miss set shots.

I'm actually surprised at how accepting supporters and the clubs/industry seem to be over missed kicks at goal from highly-paid forwards (in particular).

Not sure if this is unpopular, and this can relate to all sports.

There will also be a player or team playing who is "the greatest of all time" and whos efforts "will never be matched or beaten for a very long time".

Ben Cousins drug habit only enhanced his status as a footballer for mine. Seriously, he'd have to be the most functional druggie I've ever heard of. Anyone know if he even miss training sessions? He was/is a self confessed addict yet won a brownlow and was an elite midfielder pretty much his whole career. Druggies take note, that's how it's done!

Ben Cousins drug habit only enhanced his status as a footballer for mine. Seriously, he'd have to be the most functional druggie I've ever heard of. Anyone know if he even miss training sessions? He was/is a self confessed addict yet won a brownlow and was an elite midfielder pretty much his whole career. Druggies take note, that's how it's done!
The drugs fed his paranoia that others were training harder than he was, the paranoia made him train harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back