D1 2016 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concur with this. Entertaining to listen to is Henry but he certainly enjoys the sound of his own voice. Although, in saying that, don't we all...? ;)

SMS win over Kew hasn't thrown in a curveball. Match very well with Kew and appeared to strangle their run. Kew has fallen flat, whether it is a temporary pause or a bigger issue is another matter. Ormond definitely has the wood over Old Geelong - too big and strong on the small ground. Whether the larger grounds in September will change that dynamic is an interesting question but it is starting to appear that the Ormond juggarnaut have firmed again as premiership favourites.
Not until they can beat Kew they aren't!

Looks like Ormonds flag and although they got beaten by Kew they will not lose another game with as Bedford says still got 6 guns to come back - unbackable. Hot fav

Hey perspective, I'd love to see you in the pond for about 18 hours, face down. Unless I have totally lost my mind, I support Collingwood (as is stated on my profile) , thus the name Beamsy you f$&kwit. Enjoy the Shitty Football League. Here's a tip stay there.
Beamsy/Bedders how are the Maggies and or Swans going, both in the pond...How long ago did Beamsy leave Collingwood?

If SMS get in they will deserve it as a tough run home. Big one this week with Geelong hosting Prahran which could decide their fate, while Friars should get another win against the hapless Yarra.

I disagree somewhat - the win over Kew has handed SMS massive breathing space, as I think 10 wins will be necessary to grab 4th.

If the NOBs team we played rolls out again next week, expect SMS to be favourites there, and they should also beat OMs at Ferndale. By then only one of us or Prahran will remain in the running. We both have to go undefeated to snatch 4th (provided SMS don't win their last two games over Prahran and OGs).

It's definitely SMS's spot to lose now.

You need to wait a long time to see if my comments are true. They lack the ticker for finals...ie...not capable of winning a final.
I stand by it.
On Saturday Kew started slowly, but from the second quarter on threw all they had at SMS. The Saints showed plenty of "ticker" to hold on and record a much hard fought win. A win over Kew that only one other club has managed to achieve so far this year, one that the much heralded and apparently flag favourites Ormond have not yet managed. Sure there was no Brazzale, but then again SMS recent losses (yes some of them embarrassing) have been weeks when they were missing the likes of Jones, Tanner and others. (not making excuses)
I wonder on what evidence you base your contention that they are not capable of winning a final? The last final series they played in was 2014. In that series they won 2 from 3 finals. Sure it was D2 not D1, but that's where they where. Unless you know something that the rest of us don't, that's the last finals series any club has had the chance to play in, so in my opinion, the comment you so proudly stand by....is just crap.

On Saturday Kew started slowly, but from the second quarter on threw all they had at SMS. The Saints showed plenty of "ticker" to hold on and record a much hard fought win. A win over Kew that only one other club has managed to achieve so far this year, one that the much heralded and apparently flag favourites Ormond have not yet managed. Sure there was no Brazzale, but then again SMS recent losses (yes some of them embarrassing) have been weeks when they were missing the likes of Jones, Tanner and others. (not making excuses)
I wonder on what evidence you base your contention that they are not capable of winning a final? The last final series they played in was 2014. In that series they won 2 from 3 finals. Sure it was D2 not D1, but that's where they where. Unless you know something that the rest of us don't, that's the last finals series any club has had the chance to play in, so in my opinion, the comment you so proudly stand by....is just crap.
He goes on the B thread and puts down SKOB's all the time. I wouldn't say Ormond are flag favorites as still have to play at Kew in a couple of weeks, anyhow it won't matter till September.

Seeing as the majority of this thread is dedicated to the top 4, is there any word on where finals will be played this year? When do they usually announce this?

Seeing as the majority of this thread is dedicated to the top 4, is there any word on where finals will be played this year? When do they usually announce this?
Not for quite some time as its getting harder to get grounds. I posted last year that the first week of the finals the top team should get a home one for reward and even then maybe the Prelim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not for quite some time as its getting harder to get grounds. I posted last year that the first week of the finals the top team should get a home one for reward and even then maybe the Prelim.
Makes for a good debate thats for sure. Personally, I'd like to see the best quality football in the division played on the best quality grounds. Whether that be a home ground for the higher ranked team I'm not sure.

Can finals just be at Como Park. Great canteen (not just the food) and you wouldnt want those poodles digging up the turf at the Gunn before cricket season.

As always the VAFA will not announce the finals venues until the week before as they are very disorganised, other leagues such as the SFL have had the venues out for this years finals for months...the venues for each division should be the same each year regardless of where the clubs come from as they travel all over the place each week anyway. Sandy is a good venue perhaps even Punt Road ( depending on the tigers finals tilt).

As always the VAFA will not announce the finals venues until the week before as they are very disorganised, other leagues such as the SFL have had the venues out for this years finals for months...the venues for each division should be the same each year regardless of where the clubs come from as they travel all over the place each week anyway. Sandy is a good venue perhaps even Punt Road ( depending on the tigers finals tilt).
Does anyone here care what the SFL does?

OAFC too strong for OGGS.
Looked to control all lines of the game.
OGGS didn't help themselves by inaccurate kicking but it would not have changed the result.
I keep reading about how slow OAFC are, but they looked like the ones with more 'run in the legs'.
Looks like they have a good blend of youth and experience.
I wasn't expecting such a one sided game. Congrats Bedford to your club. Hitting your straps at the right time.

Concur with this. Entertaining to listen to is Henry but he certainly enjoys the sound of his own voice. Although, in saying that, don't we all...? ;)

SMS win over Kew hasn't thrown in a curveball. Match very well with Kew and appeared to strangle their run. Kew has fallen flat, whether it is a temporary pause or a bigger issue is another matter. Ormond definitely has the wood over Old Geelong - too big and strong on the small ground. Whether the larger grounds in September will change that dynamic is an interesting question but it is starting to appear that the Ormond juggarnaut have firmed again as premiership favourites.
Very rarely will a side go through a season without defeat. Based on the results over the last few weeks, it appears that any side can beat another on any given day. Kew were always going to have a period of time where their form might drop off. It just proves that form is temporary. Kew absolutely smashed Ormond the first time around, Ormond has had no trouble in beating SMS or OGGS on both occasions, yet these 2 teams have got the better of Kew. Granted that Brazzle, didn't play in either game it was still a great performance to get the points in these 2 games. I'm sure Kew will be ready for the Monders in 2 weeks & that result will give us a better indication as to who might go all the way. Injuries always play a part, especially when the competition is tight. At the moment, ormonds injury list is getting smaller, with a number of players set to resume in the coming weeks. I suggest that this may be the case for some other sides as well. The positives for most of the sides in the running is that their ressies are also there abouts. Having pressure from players in the lower grades is hugely important to success at the top level. Exciting times for all of the contenders.

He goes on the B thread and puts down SKOB's all the time. I wouldn't say Ormond are flag favorites as still have to play at Kew in a couple of weeks, anyhow it won't matter till September.

Holy crap Bedders. That's a bit harsh. I like to think I frequent the B Thread and throw a couple of harmless gags Briza and SKOBS way. It's not my fault they have lost 10 finals in a row. It would be remiss of me not to remind them from time to time to time and a few more times.
Apart from that I'm a much respected poster. Aren't I??

Holy crap Bedders. That's a bit harsh. I like to think I frequent the B Thread and throw a couple of harmless gags Briza and SKOBS way. It's not my fault they have lost 10 finals in a row. It would be remiss of me not to remind them from time to time to time and a few more times.
Apart from that I'm a much respected poster. Aren't I??
Of course , just having a muck around, might do a little bit there with Caulfield and their pathetic coach that has probably set the club back for years.

Disappointing day at Vic Park for the Bears, and as I've been less frequent on BF the last couple of weeks, I'll add that last week at Como was just as disappointing. However this stage last year basically the same thing happened. Losses to Elsternwick and Old Eltham, and a draw with Ivanhoe across a 5 week patch.
4 tough games in their own regard to come including the big Ormond clash but some key players set to return in the next few weeks.

Would love to see finals at Bill Lawry Oval in Northcote. D2 Prelim final there last year - magnificent surface, good atmosphere and little wind to speak of. Only issue is parking. Casey Fields is nice but it's a fair trip away.

Not exactly, but possibly the most important player in the comp for any team's success. He has been instrumental in 2 flags in 2 years and the reason SMS beat Kew in finals last year was that they were successful in stopping him.
So the Monders plonk Mal on him, job done.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back