Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you seen health statistics for indigenous Australians. Infant mortality rates, rates of diabetes, heart disease etc? I'll quote one stat - life expectancy is 10 years lower. So maybe the atrocities of the past are not being repeated but inequality remains rife today. There is still a LONG way to go and surely advocating further steps in that direction can't be criticised?

A good step in that direction is helping indigenous Australians move from tiny, remote communities to areas with better support and prospects.

But then a bunch of white people who have never been to an Aboriginal community in their lives flood cities to protest about it.

Am I the only one who wasn't entirely comfortable with the manner in which he dealt with the whole situation around the 13-year old girl? This is different to having an issue with the fact he got upset about it at all, as he was well within his rights to do, if he felt he was racially abused. It just seems like this was the real flash point in all this.

I think the War dance is a bigger flash point.

Simply put who else can get away with inciting the crowd arguably than Goodes and Jetta so far?

Eric Cantona did not get away with it although his action was unquestionably far worse!

Does anyone know the crowd player conduct guidelines by FIFA in soccer matches by the way?

People who want to boo Adam Goodes should break into his house and do it in the middle of the night and see what happens to them.

Well I totally respect you doing what you want regardless of other people's thoughts. More power to you. But personally if my actions were going to inadvertently upset someone I cared about or admired (hypothetically Cyril in this example) I wouldn't do it.
I like Cyril for the things he does on the football field and not for his personal beliefs or view points.

I dislike Adam for the things he does on a football field ergo i boo him.

But hey now I'm painted as a racist and bigot for treating Adam like i treat any other person.

So let's not boo Adam so we don't let racists get away with it right. Unfortunately you have just segregated Adam out as being different and treated differently.

Segregation, treating people differently, forgive me i must be stupid but isn't that something Adam is striving to get rid of? Yet we have to do exactly that. The irony in this stance is ridiculous.

If Goodes feels it is even partially racially motivated and it upsets him, his team mates and his fellow aboriginal people then what is the drama with stopping?
How can all the quality, empathic football supporters rub Goodes' nose well and truly in the dirt if they stop booing?

Where's the fun for them in that?

:rolleyes:

A good step in that direction is helping indigenous Australians move from tiny, remote communities to areas with better support and prospects.

But then a bunch of white people who have never been to an Aboriginal community in their lives flood cities to protest about it.

Including burgoyne, rioli, hill and anderson

Personally I wouldn't be holding to much weight onto Waleeds opinions.

I've read some of his work and he seems to enjoy lumping together different groups, simplifying complex issues by making blanketing statements. To form only two sides of an argument.

In this case, its fine as it only polarising footy fans.
In the case of middle eastern politics, frankly ignorant and quiet dangerous.

C'mon dude...

If you're gonna get stuck into someone with pretty impressive academic and public service credentials, it would help if you used actual grammar and/or correct idiomatic expressions...

So what if all the booing stopped of Goodes. and say 3 games later and there was still no booing, and in a game he does some act that maybe injures an opposition player or he takes one of his usual dives.

Can we boo him for that 1 act, or would we be racists for booing him that 1 time for that 1 act.

I actual think as a player he has probably played a couple of years to long, hence the way he plays these days.

I also find it offensive that people are automatically calling people who boo him as racist. All the PC bullshit is ruining this great country.

Goodes as just got on with the game, for which he is no dirtier than your average "dirty" player.

It's pretty sad that it's gotten to the point where his mental health is clearly being affected and people are still trying to justify their stupid behaviour because "I'm not racist".

The second part contradicts the first. If he is really strong willed of character to "get on with the game" as you suggested then would he really end up having his mental health affected by it a matter of a month or two later? Nor is that a fact that is it affecting him has been confirmed either.

Whats been confirmed by the Swans boss is he and Adam thinks the booing is confirmed to be racial now, and that all the booing is racism. And that is irrational.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the War dance is a bigger flash point.

Simply put who else can get away with inciting the crowd arguably than Goodes and Jetta so far?

Eric Cantona did not get away with it although his action was unquestionably far worse!

Does anyone know the crowd player conduct guidelines by FIFA in soccer matches by the way?

Just watch if a hawthorn player ever does it.

The second part contradicts the first. If he is really strong willed of character to "get on with the game" as you suggested then would he really end up having his mental health affected by it a matter of a month or two later? Nor is that a fact that is it affecting him has been confirmed either.

Whats been confirmed by the Swans boss is he and Adam thinks the booing is confirmed to be racial now. And that is irrational.

Well he was doing the best to get on with it. Obviously it has taken it's effect but it wasn't him complaining about the booing in the first place. Most of it was just talk in the media. My point was that he wasn't crying about it like the mass claimed.

I posted in the Jetta thread that Goodes decision to effectively claim that all booing was racially motivated (comment to media pre indigenous round) was a poor decision by him and I still hold that view.

Notwithstanding that view, now that Goodes is so clearly affected by this issue then the booing should stop. His right to be free of being racially abused (even if only a perception) outweighs anyone's claimed right to be able to boo him.

Holding back from booing one player will not affect you in any way. The same cannot be said for Goodes if people continue to boo him.

Regards

S. Pete

Non indigenous Australians simply just can't handle being called out by a public persona. It's pretty disgraceful that a player who stood up for his community, a community that has and is still suffering in modern society, get's told to get over it and then get's booed.

I can see the side of people who are claiming they boo him for being a "flog", even as childish as that is. He does not get booed for the colour of his skin. But it seems like people cannot handle any questioning of society in order to make this country a better place, because from their perspective they don't perceive racism to be as much as a problem. Because Goodes opened this can of worms, it seems like people are trying to convince themselves that the problem doesn't exist, when it's an underlying issue. People boo him because he made them feel uncomfortable. But maybe they should get over it and stop being a sook, to use the words of that majority.

I am yet to see any real evidence of notable on field actions that warrant him being booed more than anyone else that. I am yet to see any evidence where he complains or asks people to stop booing. It's only the media and Gil really who have suggested for it to stop. Goodes as just got on with the game, for which he is no dirtier than your average "dirty" player.

It's pretty sad that it's gotten to the point where his mental health is clearly being affected and people are still trying to justify their stupid behaviour because "I'm not racist".

But you are showing you have no idea about this. It's ok to say you see no real evidence of on field actions. I'll reply with I see no real evidence of racism. Prove me wrong?

Against Hawthorn on a number of occasions he has sniped people. The Hawk fans have not liked him for years, I think it was a snipe on Gibbo and there has been another on him and one on Shiels from recent memory. What irates many Hawk supporters is he never gets called for it or penalised because he is Goodes. I'd suggest that protection is motivated by the fact he's in a non-football state and indigenous.

Goodes, the Swans and the AFL have brought this on himself/themself. There is no doubt a racist element. I am sure 99% of dislikers are not part of that.

I think he is a sniper, has been overly protected as a player, gifted awards he did not deserve and constantly media whores himself to get in the news. His taking on a 13 year old was un-Australian in the eyes of many, irrespective of the terrible thing she said.

His war dance bullshit did more to harm relations then address them. I have indigenous mates that think he is a "fake flog" for doing what he did and said if he did that against their team they'd want to go at him.

But we are all racist...

(shakes head, how ignorant the moral high ground is)

This is uncalled for and just straight up racist.
Get your hand off it i was highlighting the absurdity of his implication.
I think youll find that being offended is an emotional response not a conscious decision.
Getting offended is not a direct consequence of a statement. It hinges on the offendees perception. Being offended isn't something out of our control. I can choose not to be offended by something. The opposite is also true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back