Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's he saying?
People boo him because they're scared of him because he's been such a good player. That's why hawthorn and west coast are the big ones.

Bloody hell. Tried to frame it like courtroom evidence too.

Here's some shared facts Finey:

1. Crowd behaviour reflects public opinion, in this case disapproval.

2. Public opinion on Goodes is that he's a sook and a douche. This does have plenty to do with his actions against racism and his pride- but other things too (although less spoken about in the public realm than the former)

3. Not all people are booing to reflect public opinion. Some is defiant because they think they're right about all things Goodes. Others boo because it's a laugh.

To ignore that race is central is pathetic from Finey

The problem with this is that if you give in to the argument about the link with causal racism and decide not to boo him as a result, you have been defeated by the other side of the battlefield who tried to silence you. To some, the idea of freedom of expression is more important than others feeling you are supporting racism.

That's the choice people need to make. If the freedom to be an a-hole is the most important thing to them, they will continue it.

I hate racism, and that's why this issue really annoys me, as it's been 100% defined as racism even though, clearly, for a large number of people it's got nothing to do with the race of the person being booed....they just don't like the bloke.

Just thinking out loud though...

Steve Milne was booed for 10+ years, and no one gave a s**t. There was no uproar. No media campaign to make it stop. No interest in how Milne was dealing with it.

Goodes is booed for half a season and it's racist, he's "in a bad headspace" and we should all be ashamed.

So we stop boing Goodes next week because it's racist, but then Boomer, Ballantyne, Mitchell and whoever else should just deal with it.

It's odd.

Booing in and of itself is not racist. The current booing (to some extent) clearly is racially motivated. Feel free to debate the extent of that racial motication, but you certainly cant debate its existence.

Goodes is booed for his actions.

His actions are racially motivated.

Therefore the booing is racially motivated.

Is that the progression of logic?

If he had done it at the start of the match, not run to the Carlton cheer squad to do it, yeah fair enough, but it was an obvious **** you to the cheer squad, who were vastly out numbered by the swans crowd, and nothing at all to do with the indigenous round. He knew he could get away with it. And since inflaming the crowd with the great Aussie salute is frown upon, and indeed, players are reprimanded or fined for it, why was he the acception the rule? Maybe people are sick of him getting away with s**t? He came at me like that I would not applaud his war dance, I'd shoot him with my fake gun. But of course that makes me a racist, but not him.

As for you acting like a tool, have a look at the thread about goal celebrations, players on there getting smashed for far less demonstrative celebrating.

If he wants equality, he needs to play by the same rules as everyone else. He got special treatment for his dance, and that's not right. I don't care what round it was.
As expected, you didn't even answer what I asked you...but I'll do you the courtesy of addressing your opinion, even though I shouldn't have to.

The fact that you think that it was "an obvious * you" to the cheer squad is wrong in itself, but to say that it was "nothing to do with indigenous round" is just flat-out absurdity. That was the whole point of the celebration - to celebrate indigenous round - to celebrate his people. It was a goal celebration, I don't know why you think it would have been better done before the actual game started. If you think the U16's indigenous team-inspired celebration was in any way designed to provoke or inflame that particular pocket of the crowd then I will kindly intercept the box of tissues you are giving to Adam Goodes and throw them right back in your face.

And since inflaming the crowd with the great Aussie salute is frown upon, and indeed, players are reprimanded or fined for it, why was he the acception the rule?
There is a difference between somebody giving the crowd the finger (Marc Murphy) and someone taking pride in his own heritage with a traditional wardance in indigenous round. A great deal of difference. You are blinded by hatred.

Thanks for the fair and reasonable interpretation. I guess I'd generally consider myself Australian - being born here and sixth generation on one side, largely of English and Scottish western highlander extraction, although on the other side I am second generation central European. But I do enjoy doing the genealogical research. And I am not particularly interested in my DNA soup since Europe has been a pot well-stirred for millenia. :)

Ditto re: Australian. View myself the same too.

Which is an ethnicity itself a little fraught with it's own stereotypes of course.

In modern society we can now only say politically correct things. Speaking your mind about politics, religion, gender equality, class, race and so forth is very dangerous as you run the risk of being portrayed as a bigot, racist etc. Hence AFL coaches, players, politicians and media personalities are publicly slamming the boo-ers and defending Goodesy. It is a safe response and a good way to win some cheap points/votes (especially from minority groups). Because those who are passionate about the issue will adore you for it whilst the opposing larger majority, whom aren't as sensitive, won't be as angered by your comments.
For instance, I don't approve gay/lesbians being able to have kids. There I said it. Now waiting for backlash.

People show up at my work and harass me all the time, they are called customers, and without them I wouldn't have a job.

Can I come to your work and boo you with a few mates? Have one of them call you an ape? When you complain, come back with even more mates and boo you some more? Have more mates tell you to go back to the zoo?

Were not all racists. Just a few of us are. Im not one. Im just booing you because I dont like you.

Sound fair?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not when the AFL website is running with graphics like this:

156874_603ce1f174b032b7c17bdf7d3094cfa6.jpg

Gee whiz, nothing polarising in that.

Sigh. Pathetic story

No its not stupid, booing Adam Goodes is racist therefore booing is racist.

I know you're a ****** but listen, you can't selectively say some booing is racist and some isn't, so its fine to boo in adam goodes direction provided its at a nother player
i'm not saying the booing is racist. I think race is central in public opinion on Goodes, which is reflected in the booing and it exposes ignorance in Aus about racism.

you've fully missed the point. He's not getting booed because he's black and anyone who thinks that is a goose. You thinking that's what it's about is something you should rethink. By reading my first line of reply here the first post i directed you to

Thanks for the fair and reasonable interpretation. I guess I'd generally consider myself Australian - being born here and sixth generation on one side, largely of English and Scottish western highlander extraction, although on the other side I am second generation central European. But I do enjoy doing the genealogical research. And I am not particularly interested in my DNA soup since Europe has been a pot well-stirred for millenia. :)

Where in Central Europe? Maybe ancestry doesn't interest you much, but maybe this idea would: Bohemia, now contained in Czech Republic, was first settled (in our recorded history) by a group called the Boii - Bohemia evolved from a germanic word meaning 'boii place.' The Boii were...... a Celtic tribe. Would it not be interesting if two divergent paths in your ancestry found a bloody long way to reunite, in Australia.

Just listened to the AOTY speech again. Goodes might be doing great work in the aboriginal community, but calling Australia Day as Invasion Day does not help the cause for reconciliation. If anything it sets it back. What a self-entitled campaigner he is.

As expected, you didn't even answer what I asked you...but I'll do you the courtesy of addressing your opinion, even though I shouldn't have to.

The fact that you think that it was "an obvious **** you" to the cheer squad is wrong in itself, but to say that it was "nothing to do with indigenous round" is just flat-out absurdity. That was the whole point of the celebration - to celebrate indigenous round - to celebrate his people. It was a goal celebration, I don't know why you think it would have been better done before the actual game started. If you think the U16's indigenous team-inspired celebration was in any way designed to provoke or inflame that particular pocket of the crowd then I will kindly intercept the box of tissues you are giving to Adam Goodes and throw them right back in your face.

There is a difference between somebody giving the crowd the finger (Marc Murphy) and someone taking pride in his own heritage with a traditional wardance in indigenous round. A great deal of difference. You are blinded by hatred.
Do they have a friendly dance? Maybe that might have worked

Marc murphys finger salute is not more inflaming than pretending to chuck a spear! Do a survey, how many people recognised that as sone ceremonial war dance? Certainly the bewildered faces in the crowd that night told a different story. And it wasn't just Carlton fans wondering what the * that was!

Again, why does he get a different set of rules?

You do not inflame or antagonise the crowd.

Unless your Adam goodes

onus is on the person claiming racism to prove it, not the other way around

And assisted by the following framework.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” ~ Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back