Oppo Camp The non North football discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is getting out of hand now, media sensationalism at its finest!

Richmond have decided to wear their indigenous jumpers as a sign of solidarity to Goodes.

Why can Dunstall be referred to as an ape in a derogatory manner yet Goodes can't?
My response was part joke, part reality. When your grandparents were considered less than human I think one may be a bit touchy about the usage of the term ape.

I also believe that a SMALL minority boo due to racially motivated beliefs but the MAJORITY of people Boo because they think he's an absolute spanner and are just expressing themselves in a way that has become main stream recently.

I don't buy it.

Some people find him unlikeable for whatever reason and now that the booing has taken on a life of its own it's a convenient excuse to pick on a bloke.

GEELONG coach Chris Scott says any fans that boo Adam Goodes from now on will be showing they are bigots.
"The reality is now, whether we like it or not, booing indigenous players and specifically Adam Goodes has a racist overtone so on that basis it should stop," Scott said.

What the F Chris, that in itself is racist, you're asking for special exemptions for players based on their race.

*head desk*

Those who boo are portrayed as racist, even though most aren't.

These people don't like Goodes, even though none of them know him.

Which is worse?

So the only footballers you can dislike are the ones you know personally? OK ...

Gee, the political correctness of this thread is on an upward spiral.

Time for this narrow-minded racist to hit the hay and leave the people with the high moral ground to pat each other on the back.

If you think we've regressed to the 80's, you either weren't there or you're choosing to mis-remember it.

GEELONG coach Chris Scott says any fans that boo Adam Goodes from now on will be showing they are bigots.
"The reality is now, whether we like it or not, booing indigenous players and specifically Adam Goodes has a racist overtone so on that basis it should stop," Scott said.

What the F Chris, that in itself is racist, you're asking for special exemptions for players based on their race.

*head desk*

So if I boo an aboriginal footballer for any reason I'm a racist?

You sir, are a giant ********.

So the only footballers you can dislike are the ones you know personally? OK ...

Gee, the political correctness of this thread is on an upward spiral.

Time for this narrow-minded racist to hit the hay and leave the people with the high moral ground to pat each other on the back.

If you think we've regressed to the 80's, you either weren't there or you're choosing to mis-remember it.
Why would you dislike someone if you don't know them? That makes no sense.

Feel free to boo Jobe though TPA, he's a whitey.

As you pointed out previously, once the race card is played, there is no going back.

I was having a discussion with an Indian bloke, he asked me who I thought was the best batsman of all time. I replied with Bradman. He accused me of being racist as I didn't say Tendulkar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has said he has had enough of it and wants it to stop.

If someone you know asks you to stop in your immediacy do you continue?

But because it is a collective effort sitting behind a fence many metres away. ..effectively in group anonymity, it is reasonable to continue?

Have we moved that far away now from 'a fair go'?

Those who boo are portrayed as racist, even though most aren't.

These people don't like Goodes, even though none of them know him.

Which is worse?
Righto.

Wanna be a Samaritan for the umps? Or are you performing your good deed for Goodes alone?

I'm sure they're lovely fathers and husbands. Doesn't make them any less ****ing annoying on the field.

And same goes for Goodes but he does one or two uppity things off the field that should be criticised fairly and without reproach or consideration of race.

This reminds me of the Steve Austin "What?" chants when anytime Austin said something it was met with a "What?". The WWE had a hard time supressing the masses from screaming out "What?" each time Austin spoke. This ain't gonna stop anytime soon. So all this talk is meaningless. :stern look

Why can Dunstall be referred to as an ape in a derogatory manner yet Goodes can't?
The use of ape as a racial pejorative has long been entrenched in racist discourse, it alludes to a time defined by white colonialists, cultural imperialism, and the thought of other races as inferior people; a people more akin to monkeys than humans. There is a significant difference between the context that it is used in amongst Dunstall's mates and people that use it as a slur.

Described comprehensively here:

http://theconversation.com/the-ape-insult-a-short-history-of-a-racist-idea-14808

It's a race to climb onto the highest horse.

This is. Out. Of. Control.
Also, I don't understand this attitude. Why, when people take a stand against something that is generally seen as an injustice or an inequality issue, such as racism, sexism, sexual inequality, rights for LGBTQIA people, native title issues, etc they're seen as getting on their high horse or being politically correct? If anything, they're doing the opposite; trying to get people off their high horse and stand for racial, gender, sexual etc equality in a way that is entirely inclusive. It may be the idealist in me, but these are issues we should be standing for as a community and not denigrating someone if they speak out against these problems.

The use of ape as a racial pejorative has long been entrenched in racist discourse, it alludes to a time defined by white colonialists, cultural imperialism, and the thought of other races as inferior people; a people more akin to monkeys than humans. There is a significant difference between the context that it is used in amongst Dunstall's mates and people that use it as a slur.

Described comprehensively here:

http://theconversation.com/the-ape-insult-a-short-history-of-a-racist-idea-14808

I don't buy for one second that people don't realise why referring to a black man in this way is awful. I mean ffs people throw bananas at Black sportsman all over the world. It's been going on for centuries. Why the * do people think Andrew Simons was getting called a monkey when playing for Australia.
The scary thing is people don't even realise they are racist. I'm embarrassed to be Australian at the moment.
******* disgrace

People need to ask themselves why they are really booing Goodes. The guy has been playing the same way for 365 games and only in the last couple of years they are booing him.

What's changed?

He got called an ape, called the young girl out.

Eddy called him King Kong, Goodes said he excepts his apology but they can't be friends.

Gets named Australian of the year, tells some home truths about Austrailas ugly history.

Booing starts. Pretty simple

Also, I don't understand this attitude. Why, when people take a stand against something that is generally seen as an injustice or an inequality issue, such as racism, sexism, sexual inequality, rights for LGBTQIA people, native title issues, etc they're seen as getting on their high horse or being politically correct? If anything, they're doing the opposite; trying to get people off their high horse and stand for racial, gender, sexual etc equality in a way that is entirely inclusive. It may be the idealist in me, but these are issues we should be standing for as a community and not denigrating someone if they speak out against these problems.
The issue started as an AFL footballer being boo'd now it's become a racist issue and anyone that tries to defend that it's 'just an AFL footballer being boo'd' is being labelled a racist haha this world is f***ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back