Social Off Topic Thread - House of Dastardly Crax

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's excellent! Congratulations to her, from your BF friends!!

How'd she go with the B&W pic of your daughter?
It went OK. 75. Feedback was that there wasn't enough contrast in the image (they like more contrast with black and white images) and also they prefer neutral clothing (no logos) for "artistic" work. But otherwise pretty good and at a high professional level just the same.

It went OK. 75. Feedback was that there wasn't enough contrast in the image (they like more contrast with black and white images) and also they prefer neutral clothing (no logos) for "artistic" work. But otherwise pretty good and at a high professional level just the same.
That's not far off a silver :)
Do you think the judges might grade a newcomer a little more harshly or maybe the more experienced entrants know what the judges are looking for?

My brother was an art photographer + has his photos in galleries all over the world - Bibliothèque Nationale in Paris, MOMA, National Gallery in Canberra + frankly, photography is a very subjective medium. While he was a successful photographer, he became disillusioned + gave it up. So your wife really shouldn't be disappointed. Like any type of art, it is extremely difficult to be recognised. My brother also lectured in photography at the College of Fine Arts + he says that many fine art teachers are swayed by that sort of 'flavour of the month' style. Your wife needs to acquire the technical + artistic knowledge from her course, but not to rely upon their recognition. She is already established in her own business + that is far more than most photographers ever achieve!
Here's a couple of landscape images that she submitted plus one of our daughter which I think you may have missed when I posted it previously. The first image is of the SAHMRI (South Australian Health Medical Research Institute) and the second one is of Adelaide's skyline taken from the northern end of the River Torrens.

11700782_10153506439253069_5973942238507567404_o.jpg
11816151_10153506439203069_13547276061649641_o.jpg
11334025_763997747031992_885488570918175187_o.jpg

Here's a couple of landscape images that she submitted plus one of our daughter which I think you may have missed when I posted it previously. The first image is of the SAHMRI (South Australian Health Medical Research Institute) and the second one is of Adelaide's skyline taken from the northern end of the River Torrens.

View attachment 157710
View attachment 157711
View attachment 157713
I remember the one of your daughter. Absolutely gorgeous photo.
The skyline photo is full of amazing colours :) That photo would make a great postcard. Can your wife get into that line of work as well? ie marketing her photos as cards and postcards?

That's not far off a silver :)
Do you think the judges might grade a newcomer a little more harshly or maybe the more experienced entrants know what the judges are looking for?
The judges don't know who submitted the prints. They are displayed through a hole in a makeshift stage. Someone is behind the stage attaching images on a roating triangle. There's a host who is like an MC and the judges take time to view one image at a time and put in their score. The score is displayed on an electronic board and the images are also displayed on a big screen for the benefit of those spectating as it's hard to see the actual print unless you're at the front where the judges are. All of the judges come from interstate and it's expected that judges sit out and call on another "resting" judge to step in and judge if the judge happens to know who took the image.

I remember the one of your daughter. Absolutely gorgeous photo.
The skyline photo is full of amazing colours :) That photo would make a great postcard. Can your wife get into that line of work as well? ie marketing her photos as cards and postcards?
One of her customers owns a marketing company and she's often taking photos for brochures/pamphlets of anything from tourism/architecture and just about anything else commercial. There's a lot of competition, especially in SA so it takes time to break into the industry and built a solid customer base. It makes it easier if there's more money to advertise/promote your business, but given that my wife doesn't have a filthy stinking rich husband, she doesn't exactly have a lot of cash to invest like some other people have had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of her customers owns a marketing company and she's often taking photos for brochures/pamphlets of anything from tourism/architecture and just about anything else commercial. There's a lot of competition, especially in SA so it takes time to break into the industry and built a solid customer base. It makes it easier if there's more money to advertise/promote your business, but given that my wife doesn't have a filthy stinking rich husband, she doesn't exactly have a lot of cash to invest like some other people have had.
Two outta three ain't bad ;) lol

Yeah- that's true of a lot of marketing/business-type things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back