First final

Remove this Banner Ad

tofushark

All Australian
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Does anyone know how they decide the timing of the first final, the last two years have varied?

Assuming we rest players this week,we should be demanding a Friday night final to get a team off of a 6 day break. Not that the AFL give a sh#t about us as we will likely play Sunday.

It'll either be Friday night or Saturday night.
They never play qualification finals on the Sunday (to give them the advantage for the semi finals), and you can't play two games in Perth on the same day.

I assume the protocol will be to ask Fremantle (as the minor premier) which night they would prefer: Friday night after a 6 day break and travel, or Saturday night after a 7 day break.

Friday night: Qualification Final (most likely West Coast vs. Hawthorn)
Saturday afternoon: Elimination Final (most likely Richmond vs. North Melbourne)
Saturday night: Qualification Final (most likely Fremantle vs. Sydney)
Sunday afternoon: Elimination Final (most likely Bulldogs vs. Adelaide)

Does anyone know how they decide the timing of the first final, the last two years have varied?

Assuming we rest players this week,we should be demanding a Friday night final to get a team off of a 6 day break. Not that the AFL give a sh#t about us as we will likely play Sunday.
pundits think saturday night.

It'll either be Friday night or Saturday night.
They never play qualification finals on the Sunday (to give them the advantage for the semi finals), and you can't play two games in Perth on the same day.

I assume the protocol will be to ask Fremantle (as the minor premier) which night they would prefer: Friday night after a 6 day break and travel, or Saturday night after a 7 day break.

Friday night: Qualification Final (most likely West Coast vs. Hawthorn)
Saturday afternoon: Elimination Final (most likely Richmond vs. North Melbourne)
Saturday night: Qualification Final (most likely Fremantle vs. Sydney)
Sunday afternoon: Elimination Final (most likely Bulldogs vs. Adelaide)

richmond north game will be at night, better rating game 2x mebourne teams.

I expect the Freo game will be on Sunday.
There is literally 0% chance of a qualification final being on a Sunday. That defeats the purpose of the higher placed team having the advantage leading into a semi final the following week.

doubt it mate

2 x perth finals - they are not going to play them both on sat

and the top 4 are not going to play sunday and then have disadvantage going into the following weeks final.

I expect

WC v Haw on Friday (N)

Fre v Syd on sat (day)
This is my expectation too.

The other factor is that the last flight from Perth to Sydney is at 4ish in the afternoon due to the Sydney airport curfew. So either way Sydney won't be able to fly home the day of the game.

There is literally 0% chance of a qualification final being on a Sunday. That defeats the purpose of the higher placed team having the advantage leading into a semi final the following week.
First hosting the qualifying final on Sunday has happened in 2003, 2004 and from 2007 to 2009. It is not unprecedented.

At least one of the Perth-based games will be on Sunday, just a matter of which one.

Remember, AFL have form in dicking both us and West Coast over in finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are a few factors that make a Sunday game for either Freo or West Coast highly likely:

- Friday night games in Perth are not a good time slot for finals, having to start at 6:30pm local time to ensure a decent crowd, meaning they are outside the primetime slot Channel 7 wants.
- Fremantle hosting Sydney means Sydney will have difficulties getting home in time for the Sydney airport curfew unless the game is played during the day (or Sydney win).
- Both games can't be played on Saturday at Subiaco for obvious reasons.

So if there isn't a Sunday game for either club, it's likely to be West Coast vs Hawthorn on Friday night and Fremantle vs Sydney on Saturday during the day. But I expect one of the WA teams to play Sunday.

They were discussing this before one of the games this week. Their opinion was that the AFL would have WC v Hawks on Friday night, Freo v Sydney Saturday night, the 6/7 final on Saturday and 5/8 final on Sunday.

Personally, I can see them doing our game on Saturday with a 12.10 start, with the aim of rushing Sydney to the airport to beat curfew. It'll be fun if it's a warm September day.

Hope we get the Saturday twilight/night slot.

I swear we play better on Saturday nights at Subi haha.

doubt it mate

and the top 4 are not going to play sunday and then have disadvantage going into the following weeks final.

I expect

WC v Haw on Friday (N)

Fre v Syd on sat (day)
This is what they said on the radio

This I'm pretty confident will be week one of finals.

Fri N: WCE (2) v Hawks (3) @ Subi
Sat D: 6 v 7
Sat N: Fre (1) v Syd (4)
Sun D: 5 v 8

This I'm 90% confident of as the loser of 2 v 3 has to play the winner of 6 x 7, therefore they can't have the 6 v 7 game on the Sunday.

They were discussing this before one of the games this week. Their opinion was that the AFL would have WC v Hawks on Friday night, Freo v Sydney Saturday night, the 6/7 final on Saturday and 5/8 final on Sunday.

Personally, I can see them doing our game on Saturday with a 12.10 start, with the aim of rushing Sydney to the airport to beat curfew. It'll be fun if it's a warm September day.
Surely they would prefer the ratings rather than make life easy for a team they have in the naughty corner at the moment. My guess is it will be a leading into pime time over east timeslot, say 4:30 or 5 Perth time.

Surely they would prefer the ratings rather than make life easy for a team they have in the naughty corner at the moment. My guess is it will be a leading into pime time over east timeslot, say 4:30 or 5 Perth time.
Sydney in the naughty corner? I wish my naughty corner came with 9.8% extra money plus priority access to the best toys.

doubt it mate

I expect

WC v Haw on Friday (N)

Fre v Syd on sat (day)
I agree with this, they will be trying to help swans get home sat to prepare for next weeks final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back