Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not especially quick, or strong. Would not be against him bulking up big time in the off season in order to handle the tag better when he is in the contest

Maybe the problem isn't that Cotchin had a poor game but that in six years Hardwick and co. haven't found anyone to take up the slack when Cotchin has a poor game :eek:

yer true mate but he is our Captain and we needed him Sunday and he disappeared. Even if had of had at least one big quarter it could have changed the game our way. I love chimp as a player but just my opinion is that he can't handle finals pressure between the ears , but like you said he's not the only one i agree with that..

yer true mate but he is our Captain and we needed him Sunday and he disappeared. Even if had of had at least one big quarter it could have changed the game our way. I love chimp as a player but just my opinion is that he can't handle finals pressure between the ears , but like you said he's not the only one i agree with that..
I'd like to see him start spending time off half back aka Burgoyne and hodge . The longer he is forced to play only inside the shorter his life span in the game will be .

I'd like to see him start spending time off half back aka Burgoyne and hodge . The longer he is forced to play only inside the shorter his life span in the game will be .

Yer true that could work or i like him up forward also he reads the ball off packs well etc. I actually reckon some of our players just can't handle finals either like i said above.

If you watch Cotch 3 or 4 years ago he moves very differently than he does now. He's either had big injury issues or has lost a lot of confidence, he used to have a killer side step and amazing evasive skills.

This year he hasn't had as much space. It's had a flow on effect to his game and is probably the cause for his disposal being ordinary.

He's not especially quick, or strong. Would not be against him bulking up big time in the off season in order to handle the tag better when he is in the contest
you what? cotch is stronger than you think, muscled luke hodge, ripped the ball away from jpk, he also chased down matt white if you recall, cotch just needs someone to free him up so he can show case more of his outside work

If you watch Cotch 3 or 4 years ago he moves very differently than he does now. He's either had big injury issues or has lost a lot of confidence, he used to have a killer side step and amazing evasive skills.

This year he hasn't had as much space. It's had a flow on effect to his game and is probably the cause for his disposal being ordinary.
He had jackson and tuck beside him and spent more time resting forward. He and miles are battling often against sides who have more rotations and blokes 10 kgs and 5-10cms taller , which due to their willingness can normally match. When you add a dominate opposition ruckman as well they are rooted .
Due to the extended workload don't be surprised if we have seen the best of him and he starts getting a lot of injuries which sees him miss large parts of seasons .

Last edited:
Problem is that with the reduced interchange next year, the opposite is probably needed. Bulking him up could affect his stamina and will make it harder for him to deal with the increased TOG.

[QUOTreadc12, post: 40926622, member: 153881"]you what? cotch is stronger than you think, muscled luke hodge, ripped the ball away from jpk, he also chased down matt white if you recall, cotch just needs someone to free him up so he can show case more of his outside work[/QUOTE]
Well read, tuck, jacko big bodies allowed this.

big question marks on his legacy now needs to get it done in a final to remove the stain

yes and there are many others in same boat like B Ellis, Sheeds, even lids all need to wait a year to disprove they are useless when the heat is on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem is that with the reduced interchange next year, the opposite is probably needed. Bulking him up could affect his stamina and will make it harder for him to deal with the increased TOG.

Yep very good point

He had jackson and tuck beside him and spent more time resting forward. He and miles are battling often against sides who have more rotations and blokes 10 kgs and 5-10cms taller , which due to their willingness can normally match. When you add a dominate opposition ruckman as well they are rooted .
Due to the extended workload don't be surprised if we have seen the best of him and he starts getting a lot of injuries which sees him miss large parts of seasons .
good comments, against north, cotch had miles, grigg, lambert, edwards, lids, dusty and ellis in the middle helping him out, miles being the only inside hard nut...

scott was on to this and put his throttlers on ellis, lids, dusty, edwards and cotch, leaving miles to have his stoppage and clearance feast knowing miles, lambert and grigg are not likely to carve you up like the others will and he was right, our foward thrusts out of the middle was stifled and scrappy. no offence to miles (played well) but maybe his job should have been more centred around running at jacobs and giving cotch a chop out... we will never know and as well as this i reckon cotch is a bit more sorer than is being revealed.

He needs help, that's it. He is one of those blokes that's very strong through his hips, he doesn't need to bulk up. I wouldn't be adverse to him dropping the captaincy and just playing, there's no shame to that. We changed captains in 1980 and won a flag, Mitchell for Hodge, same deal.

Played like a receiver on Sunday. Receiver's are a hell of a lot easier to shut down than a hard in and under inside midfielder which he should of been playing like after a quiet first quarter.
I like him as player but he needs to find a way to deal with the tag.
All the best players in the afl deal with it so it can be done.
Surprised they didn't throw him up fwd for longer patches tbh.
Same with Dusty

He needs help, that's it. He is one of those blokes that's very strong through his hips, he doesn't need to bulk up. I wouldn't be adverse to him dropping the captaincy and just playing, there's no shame to that. We changed captains in 1980 and won a flag, Mitchell for Hodge, same deal.
Rance

I'm not sure how an unfit, injury-riddled Cotchin getting beaten by a hard tag means that he's no good and needs to be replaced as captain. Some people need to get some perspective.

We wouldn't want anyone showing any emotion as a captain now would we? Heaven forbid the captain shows that he cares. Sometimes I think cotchin doesn't care enough and is too professional about it.
Too emotional, I never said anything about not showing emotion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back