Game Day 2015 AFC Club Champion

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe some of the tripe I'm reading on here, you could see how hard the decision was for him. I hate that he's leaving and will treat him like any opposition player now, but you can't fault the way he has gone about his departure. There is no way any of the trade week stuff will get messy, I have no doubt a deal will get done very early on.

I can't believe some of the tripe I'm reading on here, you could see how hard the decision was for him. I hate that he's leaving and will treat him like any opposition player now, but you can't fault the way he has gone about his departure. There is no way any of the trade week stuff will get messy, I have no doubt a deal will get done very early on.
I don't think the decision was hard for him at all. He made it last year, not recently like he is telling everyone.

Completely in line with the first bit but disagree that the trade is likely to be easy.

Look at all of the posturing by Scott. Says to me that the clubs are still measuring each other's resolve.

Last edited:

Doesn't surprise me that a glass is always half full type like yourself would be suffering stockholm syndrome. Good luck with that.

This treating him like a retiring champion stuff is starting to feel like we're desperate for him to like us when he's gone.

Well we do have potential father sons here...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only saw a little bit that was on offsiders, but I thought he looked a bit cut up. Seemed genuine to me.

I don't buy the family card bullshit. Those that know me personally would say that I am probably the most family oriented person they know but I am finding this line very hard to swallow.

At most, Danger is 2-3 hours away from his family. It takes Roo longer than that to get to his mum and dad in the riverland. It takes me at least 24 hours to get to mine. Its a cop out and there is a lot more to it I think. The fact that he is leaving us when he is about to enter into his prime football years and when majority of the core at the footy club is at the same stage of their respective careers, its somerthing I will never understand or be OK with.

"WE are getting married in Geelong because that is where our friends are"

"I feel so lonely when he goes for an interstate match, I have no friends here"

I'm guessing someones constant whining probably made the decision easier to make

Sorry for the intrusion.

As a footy fan what this great club has been able to achieve is just outstanding. To make the finals after such a tragic incident that seemed to galvinise your group was just amazing.

Dangerfield is all class. Just watched his speech and i am gobsmacked with how well he spoke. Yes he will be a loss but him seeking a trade rather then free agency will see you guys half what compensated.

You guys have a great system in place and gives us crappie clubs some hope.

Again sorry for the intrusion but felt i needed to get it out.

Unfortunately, they're going to qualify for Geelong too and I'd suspect that they'll grow up cats supporters.

I have my fingers crossed that Danger will either:

a) Retire
b) Code hop

with 99 games clocked up for Geelong

:rolleyes:
So, once again, we recognize how shit VB, Mackay and Wright are at the B&F, after continuing to select them for the vast majority of the season.

Bloody ridiculous.
They have non-stat, non-vote roles.

Us fans just don't understand the complexities.

Judging players by average points per game is a very cheap and shallow form of analysis. Take the Mackay vs Martin debate. Mackay polls 4 votes per game, Martin 6 votes per game, yet Mackay is constantly preferred over Martin. Why?

Firstly, a quick lesson on the AFC's Club Champion voting. Votes are cast by 5 members. Votes are 1-5, with the interpretations below:
1 vote – Played his role. Beat his man.
2 votes – Played his role. Beat his man – added to our team offence or defence.
3 votes – Played his role. Beat his man – added to both our team offence and defence.
4 votes – Major contributor. Dominated either offensively or defensively.
5 votes – Best on ground performance – elite impact on game.
Look at the votes they actually polled and you have your answer:
Mackay - R1 - 10, R2 - 4, R3 - 22 (BOG for Adelaide), R4 - 0, R5 - 4, R6 - 0, R7 - 20 (equal 2nd best), R8 - 11, R9 - 2, R10 - 0, R11 - bye, R12 - 3, R13 - 0, R14 - game cancelled, R15 - 0, R16 - 1, R17 - 1, R18 - 0, R19 - 0, R20 - 0, R21 - DNP, R22 - DNP, R23 - DNP, EF - 0, SF - 0.
Martin - R9 - 4, R16 - 10, R17 - 5.

Mackay had 2 games where he polled 20+ votes. Under the AFC's system, that means that he was polling 4 and 5 votes in those games. This means that he "was a major contributor, dominated either offensively or defensively" or "best on ground performance - elite impact on game".

Martin's best game polled 10 votes. This means he was mostly getting 2 votes, meaning "played his role, beat his man - added to our team offence or defence". His two other games mostly polled 1 votes, meaning "played his role, beat his man".

Mackay's problem is that he failed to play at anywhere near that standard in the latter 2/3 of the season. He started the season well, polling 71 votes in the first 8 games. After that it fell completely apart - just 7 votes from the remaining 12 games. What we need to be asking is why his season fell apart so dramatically, after such a bright and promising start? Was he carrying an injury? Whatever the case, his performances from R9 onwards were completely unacceptable.

It is clear from this that Mackay's best is far better than Martin's best. That's why Mackay is selected ahead of Martin. I just wish he'd perform closer to his best on a more regular basis. His inconsistency is infuriating, and the reason why he's the board's biggest whipping boy.

Judging players by average points per game is a very cheap and shallow form of analysis. Take the Mackay vs Martin debate. Mackay polls 4 votes per game, Martin 6 votes per game, yet Mackay is constantly preferred over Martin. Why?

Firstly, a quick lesson on the AFC's Club Champion voting. Votes are cast by 5 members. Votes are 1-5, with the interpretations below:

Look at the votes they actually polled and you have your answer:
Mackay - R1 - 10, R2 - 4, R3 - 22 (BOG for Adelaide), R4 - 0, R5 - 4, R6 - 0, R7 - 20 (equal 2nd best), R8 - 11, R9 - 2, R10 - 0, R11 - bye, R12 - 3, R13 - 0, R14 - game cancelled, R15 - 0, R16 - 1, R17 - 1, R18 - 0, R19 - 0, R20 - 0, R21 - DNP, R22 - DNP, R23 - DNP, EF - 0, SF - 0.
Martin - R9 - 4, R16 - 10, R17 - 5.

Mackay had 2 games where he polled 20+ votes. Under the AFC's system, that means that he was polling 4 and 5 votes in those games. This means that he "was a major contributor, dominated either offensively or defensively" or "best on ground performance - elite impact on game".

Martin's best game polled 10 votes. This means he was mostly getting 2 votes, meaning "played his role, beat his man - added to our team offence or defence". His two other games mostly polled 1 votes, meaning "played his role, beat his man".

Mackay's problem is that he failed to play at anywhere near that standard in the latter 2/3 of the season. He started the season well, polling 71 votes in the first 8 games. After that it fell completely apart - just 7 votes from the remaining 12 games. What we need to be asking is why his season fell apart so dramatically, after such a bright and promising start? Was he carrying an injury? Whatever the case, his performances from R9 onwards were completely unacceptable.

It is clear from this that Mackay's best is far better than Martin's best. That's why Mackay is selected ahead of Martin. I just wish he'd perform closer to his best on a more regular basis. His inconsistency is infuriating, and the reason why he's the board's biggest whipping boy.
Hopefully we can now recognise that these 20+ vote D-Mac specials are not "evidence of what he can do" but rather occasional anomalies that occur against the bottom teams

To me the question isn't why did it fall away but why was he being picked?

10 games in a row where the coaches felt he hadn't played his role or beat his man yet he kept getting picked and worse than that his comeback game in the EF he was rated once again as not playing a role or beating his man yet he jumped out of the subs vest and into the starting 18. Without it being a Mackay bash or a pro whoever ( why don't they get the same treatment...blah blah blah), the selection committee needs to be revamped when a senior player with over 150 games of experience is delivering nothing week after week and still gets picked. That needs to be addressed when the coaching group get reviewed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back