Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

This, he's just a lump of a kid, get him in the gym and an elite training environment, both will give him confidence in himself, and then we'll have our version of tomahawk!

Hes both very young and very new to the elite pathway.

Likely he hasnt done many leg weights and hes not exactly a beanpole so perhaps he has scope to improve his leap a little.

This does seem to be the pic from 'left field'. Most of the reviews don't rate McKay anywhere near top 20. Let's hope this is one of those inspired choices that uncovers a superstar. I trust the club to get this right.

This does seem to be the pic from 'left field'. Most of the reviews don't rate McKay anywhere near top 20. Let's hope this is one of those inspired choices that uncovers a superstar. I trust the club to get this right.

Emma Quayle ranked him at 18, Brett Anderson at 17 and Callum Twomey at 24 so he's seems to fit around the mark that we took him. Note tehse are their rankings, not phantom draft predictions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched all the McKay brother videos leading up to the draft and always had a funny feeling about them, especially Ben. Which made it a bit surreal when we picked him.

Can’t remember if I posted it at the time but was surprised they weren’t being spoken about more. 200cm and good skills / competitive with agility to go with it.

For some reason Ben struck me as a North Melbourne kinda guy. Harry was the slick accomplished junior, in the best squads and with everyone patting him on the back along the way.

Ben seemed the rough diamond. Dropping back to Warragul, having to sort out his own path and motivations. It made me wonder if he might end up the better player, someone who had been knocked around a bit more mentally and had dug deep to find his own drive and competitiveness.

While Harry looked slightly slicker and cleaner with his kicking, I liked that Ben looked commanding, rough and ready - justifying comparisons to Petrie.

Very happy with this pick. Pulling the trigger on a bottom age kid of that size who has agility and aggression and looks to have a decent footy brain (again reminds me of a draft age Drew) is a good punt to take. While Clarke and Hibberd are currently more accomplished I like North’s approach to consistently taking talls with the better picks as they set the foundation of a team.

And as people have pointed out, unlike Durdin et al Ben looks like he already has good development and should grow out into at least a Hamish McIntosh build sooner rather than later.

This, he's just a lump of a kid, get him in the gym and an elite training environment, both will give him confidence in himself, and then we'll have our version of tomahawk!

Tom Hawkins was my immediate thought when we drafted him.

He's a unit and a week off being ineligible for this years draft.

This is the prototype project player, the perfect six million dollar man.

You won't see him for two years but then he'll see you and BANG...

You're dead.

Or, we delist him. We'll see.

How many Petrie replacements do we have in mind? First I thought Brown, then Dunedin and earlier perhaps even Majak. Hopefully this is our way of maintaining the tripple towers

How many Petrie replacements do we have in mind? First I thought Brown, then Dunedin and earlier perhaps even Majak. Hopefully this is our way of maintaining the tripple towers
Dunedin? Phone autocorrect being a pain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back