Remove this Banner Ad

Webster Goddard Roberton
Savage Carlisle Newnes
McKenzie Dunstan Steven
Billings Bruce Membrey
Lonie McCartin Sinclair

R: Longer Freeman Gresham

Int from: Armitage, Weller, Acres, Ross, White, Rice,
Wouldn't be turfing Armo out of the starting XVIII just yet...

No room for Sidebottom? :p

I like it. Zero 1st-4th players in the 2020 premiership team suggests we will have had poor picks from 2016-19, which suggests late picks, which suggests high ladder finishes in those years.

So basically I get to watch St Kilda play deep into finals for the next five years, with a flag in the fifth.

Like.

He'll still be important, but he'll be 32 by then and our young guns will take over the as main men in the midfield.
Sam Mitchell says hi...

Haven't done a future best 22 for a while so why not:

FB: Roberton Carlisle Rice
HB: Savage Goddard Webster
C: Acres Dunstan McKenzie
HF: Sinclair Bruce Billings
FF: Lonie McCartin Hickey

R: Longer Steven Armitage

Int: Freeman Newnes Ross Greshem

Other possibles: White, Eli, Membrey, Minchington.

There's something slightly off about the backline. Still need a third tall if it doesn't end up being Roberton which means someone has to come out of that backline and push up the ground. Webster looks most likely at this stage.

Think we'll stick with just the three talls which means it'll come down to one of Hickey or Membrey if the latter doesn't move into the midfield.

Still plenty of recruits to come. Happy days.

FB: Webster Goddard Roberton
HB: Newnes Carlisle McKenzie
C: Freeman Dunstan Acres
HF: Billings Bruce Weller
FF: Lonie McCartin Membrey
R: Longer Armitage Steven
I/C: Hickey Savage Gresham Sinclair

I have this 22 as our best prospects going forward but it seems to balance out absolutely perfectly. I feel like we have no glaring need for anything specific over the next few years. Gives us a lot of flexibility in our recruiting. We simply look at all the players that are available to us and target the player who offers the greatest improvement over the weakest player in his position.

And you are a magical wizard?
I've seen a non-magical wizard.

farmer-5582281.jpg

I don't think Roberton stays in our best 22.

Unless he turns into more of a Dempster style lock down & intercept marker.

Others that are better rebounding, running half backs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think he's probably our best rebound defender at the moment. Not saying guys won't go past him, hopefully they do, but he's a very good player.

Why's that? He's probably our most consistent running defender. Finds the pill and uses it extremely well with either foot.

I don't find him penetrating or involved in many scoring chains, but perhaps I'm biased because he's not flashy.

I think savage is one of our most important players because he is so damaging & incisive.

I don't find him penetrating or involved in many scoring chains, but perhaps I'm biased because he's not flashy.

I think savage is one of our most important players because he is so damaging & incisive.

we do need another defender that carries and bounces the ball which is why I wish we had picked the other Saad but Roberton has been running 80-90 disposal efficiency the majority by foot and his kicking is aggressive and part of why we were fairly successful at running it out of defense.

Roberton also stood up in games where we have been getting slaughter and kept working while some others dropped their head. He has been very serious about continuing to develop he's got 3 kids to feed after all but I would also agree that he doesn't play his height and I hope he starts take more intercept marks next year

FB: Rice - Goddard - Roberton

HB: Webster - Carlisle - White

C: Acres - Dunstan - Savage

HF: Billings - Bruce - Steven

FF: Lonie - McCartin - Membrey

Foll: Longer - Freeman - Gresham

I/C: Sinclair - O'Kearney - Ross - Newnes

Emg: Templeton - Lee - McKenzie

Backline: I'm REALLY hoping this becomes our backline, we know Goddard and Carlisle are both fierce competitors and the other 4 are all capable of beautiful kicking, white in particular. Against the opponents that have a taller forward line I could see us swapping Webster for Lee as he has played some good footy as a tall defender recently, I'm also predicting that with the addition of Rice and White that Savage will make a move to the wing where his kicking and line breaking ability can be fully utilised.

Midfield/Followers: I think the game will really start to become exclusively a 1 ruckman setup with introduction of an interchange cap. From what I've seen I much prefer Longer to Hickey and I can see Holmes potentially overtaking both of them given a bit of luck. Hickey just doesn't do anything right when I see him, he gives away free kicks, he drops marks, fumbles handballs, and screws up kicks as well as having a terrible haircut. This was the really difficult line to select and any of Billings, Sinclair, Ross, Newnes and maybe even Lonie could push for a midfield start however I think Acres will grow into a role on the wing and play somewhat like Isaac Smith from the Hawks. And I don't see how any of the above could push out Dunstan, Gresham or Freeman for a spot in the guts.

Forwardline: While a lot think Billings will make a move to the mid I honestly think he will be best utilised on a forward flank, he oozes class and goal sense which I feel places him here a bit better, I feel like Steven will also evolve into this a bit more and rotate through the mid later in the game. Obviously Bruce and McCartin make up the spine although I feel like Bruce in particular will be replaced before 2020. Lonie and Membrey are the other obvious selections, Lonie is a great goal sneak and Membrey is a good 3rd tall/enforcer with a great boot.

Interchange: I essentially put all the players I think could have played in the mid or on a flank here. Sinclair is too good to not be included as is Newnes but I think other players will get a spot on the field before them. Ross will rotate with Dunstan or Freeman and O'kearney with Gresham. I know there are a lot of midfielders in this side but that's the kind of rotations that the Hawks have and if our mid turns out anything like theirs I will be stoked.

The unlucky ones: This list includes; Templeton, Mckenzie and Lee as well as Minchington, Mav Weller and Hickey. These guys to me just haven't quite shown enough in their time at the club to be a more valuable player on the field than the ones already listed there. I think they all need to really improve their game to seriously challenge for a spot with our best side available. I also ommitted Armitage, I know a lot of people will disagree here but I just have a feeling that he'll only be really good for another 1 maybe 2 years. Unfortunately he peaked a little late and I'm guessing it will not be a very extended peak either. Also at this stage he will be 32, there are some really good footballers still playing at 32 but most will have retired by then.

FB: Rice - Goddard - Roberton

HB: Webster - Carlisle - White

C: Acres - Dunstan - Savage

HF: Billings - Bruce - Steven

FF: Lonie - McCartin - Membrey

Foll: Longer - Freeman - Gresham

I/C: Sinclair - O'Kearney - Ross - Newnes

Emg: Templeton - Lee - McKenzie

Backline: I'm REALLY hoping this becomes our backline, we know Goddard and Carlisle are both fierce competitors and the other 4 are all capable of beautiful kicking, white in particular. Against the opponents that have a taller forward line I could see us swapping Webster for Lee as he has played some good footy as a tall defender recently, I'm also predicting that with the addition of Rice and White that Savage will make a move to the wing where his kicking and line breaking ability can be fully utilised.

Midfield/Followers: I think the game will really start to become exclusively a 1 ruckman setup with introduction of an interchange cap. From what I've seen I much prefer Longer to Hickey and I can see Holmes potentially overtaking both of them given a bit of luck. Hickey just doesn't do anything right when I see him, he gives away free kicks, he drops marks, fumbles handballs, and screws up kicks as well as having a terrible haircut. This was the really difficult line to select and any of Billings, Sinclair, Ross, Newnes and maybe even Lonie could push for a midfield start however I think Acres will grow into a role on the wing and play somewhat like Isaac Smith from the Hawks. And I don't see how any of the above could push out Dunstan, Gresham or Freeman for a spot in the guts.

Forwardline: While a lot think Billings will make a move to the mid I honestly think he will be best utilised on a forward flank, he oozes class and goal sense which I feel places him here a bit better, I feel like Steven will also evolve into this a bit more and rotate through the mid later in the game. Obviously Bruce and McCartin make up the spine although I feel like Bruce in particular will be replaced before 2020. Lonie and Membrey are the other obvious selections, Lonie is a great goal sneak and Membrey is a good 3rd tall/enforcer with a great boot.

Interchange: I essentially put all the players I think could have played in the mid or on a flank here. Sinclair is too good to not be included as is Newnes but I think other players will get a spot on the field before them. Ross will rotate with Dunstan or Freeman and O'kearney with Gresham. I know there are a lot of midfielders in this side but that's the kind of rotations that the Hawks have and if our mid turns out anything like theirs I will be stoked.

The unlucky ones: This list includes; Templeton, Mckenzie and Lee as well as Minchington, Mav Weller and Hickey. These guys to me just haven't quite shown enough in their time at the club to be a more valuable player on the field than the ones already listed there. I think they all need to really improve their game to seriously challenge for a spot with our best side available. I also ommitted Armitage, I know a lot of people will disagree here but I just have a feeling that he'll only be really good for another 1 maybe 2 years. Unfortunately he peaked a little late and I'm guessing it will not be a very extended peak either. Also at this stage he will be 32, there are some really good footballers still playing at 32 but most will have retired by then.
Who's O'Kearney? Have I missed something?

Pick 5 in the rookie draft =P
Apparently we ranked him really highly similar to Sinclair last year in that regard, plays a little like a poor man's Jobe Watson.
Plays nothing like Jobe Watson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back