Delisted 12. Wylie Buzza (2016-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Draft 2015: Likely cult hero Wylie Buzza pinching himself to be drafted to Geelong
59 minutes ago
Jon RalphHerald Sun

FOUR years ago dreadlocked Queenslander Wylie Buzza wagged school to try out for an AFL schoolboy trial.

It would start a remarkable journey that will see the 197cm forward become an instant cult hero after Geelong this week drafted him at pick 69.

The magnificent Ben Brown-inspired mane, the spectacular name, the laconic Queensland manner: he is the full package.

“Just reading your name on the internet, everyone was saying they are putting me down as a cult hero already,” he told the Herald Sun.

“They are big boots to fill. I don’t want to be the cult hero that is a dud.

“We think (the surname) is Italian but if you met me I am not Italian in any sense of the word.

v1

“I have only ever met one Wylie and he works on a farm out west. I don’t think he would have ever played in the AFL. It’s quite an unusual name.”

The sports-mad rugby league player accompanied a friend on that AFL tryout — with mum’s blessing — and quickly fell in love with the game.

The 19-year-old key forward’s strong contested marking brought him into the draft equation this year, but Thursday night was a long, agonising affair.

“It was a long wait. First the whole year and then draft night and they were screwing around on TV in that first half an hour,’’ he said.

“All that stuff beforehand was making it even worse. My nerves were uncontrollable.

“And then my manager told me two clubs were my chance — North Melbourne and Geelong.

“North Melbourne passed and were out of the draft and then it came to Geelong’s third pick and they read my name out and I lost it.

“I was just crying my eyes out in pure happiness. I just had to pace around the house to understand what was happening.”

a5e3b421cec25e3da2c7e565963751ee

Wylie Buzza in action for the All Stars on the MCG on AFL Grand Final day. Picture: Colleen Petch
Stage fright hit when Geelong captain Joel Selwood called to congratulate him on his recruitment.

“I have already made a fool of myself. He asked a question and I completely mucked up the answer,” he said.

“He was probably thinking, ‘What an idiot’, but oh well. I will have to make up for it when I meet him.”

Buzza, who played footy for Mt Gravatt but hails from Gatton — 80km west of Brisbane — admits his footy journey is improbable.

“Rugby league was my main sport but when I was 15 I had a mate who had the idea of taking the day off school to try out for this schoolboy thing.

“I took the day off. Mum knew about it but it was pretty much a wag. They picked me to go to Townsville for five games and I fell in love with the sport.

“As a 16-year-old I took up the game properly. I have probably played about 80 games over four years.”

051917b65bd7b77481571b041bfff0eb

Wylie Buzza has only been playing footy for four years. Picture: Richard Walker
Buzza has always grown his hair long apart from one ill-advised decision to shave his head at five — “Everyone thought I had leukaemia”.

“Since then I have kept it long. It is long curly hair but it turns into natural dreads if I don’t brush it which is quite often.

“It is a mix of long curly hair and dreads.”

Now comes the hard part — turning a brilliant footy yarn into a sustained AFL career.

“Tom Hawkins has always been my favourite forward and I am lucky enough not only to play with Selwood and Hawkins but go to the Cats in the year Patrick Dangerfield came across,” he said.

“To think I will be their teammate is just unbelievable. (At training) I will probably kick the ball along the ground to them, I will just be so nervous.”

What I like from that package for a bloke who has been playing for 3 years he protects the area where the ball will drop in a marking contest something even forwards who have been playing all their lives sometimes don't have a clue about.

To do that at the AFL level he is going to need to be a weight room terrier but the post from Reardo suggests that he isn't afraid of doing the hard yards.

Nice package, looks very strong and athletic.

I guarantee you it will involve words selected from the following list:
- big
- bad
- boy
- bustling

The latter may miss out due to pushing Taylor's syllable limit, "wowee" being the only multi-syllabic 'word' he has really nailed down.

Big Boner Brown got a run for a while with BT in reference to Ben Brown. It's on again for sure with Buzza!

He seems to protect the area and muscle up well, i like him. Keen to see how that translates to VFL and AFL.

Wow! Didn't take you long to take the credit there Reardo! I was the one who told you to look out for him when ST played LV....remember!! :D

Finally a forward with the bit of natural aggro. Scarlett will love this kid and Moons will no doubt be mentoring him too. In a few years, I can see Wiley scaring opposition defenders!

Finally a forward with the bit of natural aggro. Scarlett will love this kid and Moons will no doubt be mentoring him too. In a few years, I can see Wiley scaring opposition defenders!

Scarlo's man for sure!......If you ever read these pages son, just cut the hair back a little, don't want it distracting your judgement in the air.

Last edited:
Wow! Didn't take you long to take the credit there Reardo! I was the one who told you to look out for him when ST played LV....remember!! :D
Hardly taking credit mate and yes, you were spot on.

I almost cannot wait to get to see some Cat VFL action in 2016.
Are you in Willo and Daz (if you get over in 2016)?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was anyone else taught to stand on your opponents foot and give him a good push in the chest as the balls coming in,best trick in your armoury for a marking forward one out.

no, but had a coach who would advise our defenders 'thumb up the bum boys, thumb up the bum!' - was glad I didn't play in the backline.

Hardly taking credit mate and yes, you were spot on.
I should have added an extra smilie to my second sentence. It sounds a bit harsh. I always said he 'was your boy'. (in the DD thread I think?)

You ensured his progress was fast tracked the day you saw him. It had to be, as he was straight out of RL! That he has gone so far, so quickly, with relatively so few games is amazing. From LV, to the Darling Downs Crows. Then MtGravatt and QLD U18s, it was continued better quality opposition all the way.

He never faltered. He met every challenge, achieved every goal. His Dad says he has always risen to the level of competition he has faced in sport. One more level... Go hard Wylie!

It's a wonder the kid wants to leave to go to Geelong. Hopefully he doesn't get homesick for the Red Elephant in a couple of years.
Yeah, isn't that a joke. All the whinging the Lions do about players leaving, and they stuff Wylies opportunity up to play with the Lions before even draft day!!! Then, with a chance of keeping a kid who was born and raised 100km from the Lions, (via the draft), they choose a Southerner. (or more?)

You are spot on. Very aggressive, and right temperament for it. No beg pardons, but will always shake hands. Has the right attitudes. Will only improve.

Consider this. Most Victorian u12s have had more Australian footy games than Wylie...

I've got a son that has a property up there he claims he has more brown snakes per acre than anyone on earth,I've seen some all around 6ft and better.The uni at Gatton traps some for milking.
Cane toads here don't seem to have made any dent at all in the Brown snake population. So much veg farming here, and all the small stuff that feeds off of it must leave a lot of food for the snakes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back