Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

He was hoping to get an American College basket ball scholarship, doesn't sound like a Mummy's boy to me!

It's amazing how opportunity, demand and the ablity to receive the same sort of income can change someone mind. Let's not count those chickens before they hatch.

I'm saying they are far from perfect at recruitment and are probably no better than us. Hawthorn's success is due to more luck than brilliant recruitment. Luck that they didn't lose players to the expansion club, luck that the expansion clubs caused a talent vacuum that stopped other clubs improving past them, luck that guys like Burgoyne, Hale, Gunston, Lake and Frawley chose them.

They are a team that drafted Josh Kennedy as a father son and traded him.

Imagine if there were no expansion clubs, we would have kept, Davis, Bock and probably Tippet since it was the GC offer that tipped the first domino. In 2012 instead of losing pick 24 in a weakened draft, we would have had pick 12 in a draft with 5-10 extra high-end talent in it, we could have picked up a Jeremy Cameron or maybe Wingard slipped to our pick due to port taking someone from GWS. All the Tallent of the two clubs would be sprinkled across the 16 clubs, Geelong would still have Ablett and may have won a few more premierships. Put a couple extra guns in our 2012 side and we beat Hawthorn in the prelim, put a few extra in the Port side and they beat them in the prelim.

I don't believe Hawthorn would have won 3 premierships if it wasn't for the expansion clubs, but they would have had the same recruiters.

Hawthorn overall have been nothing short of brilliant they have the opportunity to win 4 in a row. You make your own luck. If things don't go your way you move on, we lost players but nothing like buddy. They have drafted and recruited well so if I was any other team in the comp why wouldn't you be watching exactly what they are doing. Can't see too many other teams wanting our results can you?

Would you be asking the same question if I was suggesting he would bound to become a 300 game player with a Brownlow and Norm Smith?
Yes.

If you suggested that you know about someone whom I had never heard about until we drafted him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if we wanted Himmelberg (we obviously did), it was utterly negligent IMO to not bid on Matt Kennedy with our first pick, regardless of whether we rated Milera higher than him or not. It was universally known that GWS would match any bids from 3 onwards on both Hopper and Kennedy and we had an opportunity to make them match pick 11 for Kennedy, which was already a better result for GWS than many predicted.

Allowing Kennedy to slip through to Pick 13 meant GWS gave up less for him, meaning they had more available with which to match our subsequent Himmelberg bid than they otherwise would have. It was widely thought that GWS would not match a bid of around pick 16 for Himmelberg (if you watched the telecast you'll already know that Don Pyke certainly didn't think they were going to match), but they were able to do so because Kennedy unexpectedly fell to 13 (and Hopper also went lower than expected), so matching 16 was only on par with what a bid in the 20s would have cost them if the other two went higher.

Would bidding on Kennedy at 11 have made enough of a difference to price GWS out of matching for Himmelberg? We don't know and we never will. We were definitely also hurt by both of Melbourne and Essendon inexplicably not bidding on Hopper despite him CLEARLY being a top 5 talent in this draft, so maybe the difference between Kennedy going at 11 vs 13 wouldn't have been enough to price them out of matching Himmelberg. I just think it was ridiculous to not maximise our chances of Himmelberg, because it was pretty bloody blatant that Carlton and Richmond were going to take Curnow and Rioli in between our picks once we selected Milera, so Himmelberg was obviously next cab off the rank for us.

Oh well, what's done is done. Will be very interesting to follow the careers of Milera, Kennedy, Himmelberg, Doedee, Burton and a few others that we were known to be in heavy discussions with such as Tucker, Balic, Dunkley, Collins and even Curnow who we could have snapped up at 11 if we desired (would Milera have slipped past Carlton and Richmond to our second if we did go with Curnow? 50/50 at best but possible). Perhaps our choices will prove to be inspired. Perhaps they won't. Strap me in a time machine and I'll let you know.

We showed no interest in burton. We wanted himmelberg

My sense is that after Milera we wanted Burton however the late medical info ruled him out, the next option was to bid for the GWS player which seemed to be line ball however went against us, finally we went with Doedee who in our assessment was the best of the rest

Yes.

If you suggested that you know about someone whom I had never heard about until we drafted him.

Where did I say that? I believe I made a simple prediction. Same as someone who posts on trhe positive side of the ledger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without any reference to the Tom debate or degenerating him in any way, I believe we were exactly at that cut off level between A grade talent and b grade talent. We got the best of the B's in our opinion considering our needs, but missed by about 1 pick the elite talent.
Umm..no. Trying to rewrite history to suit your vie
I've said it before and I'll say it again - if we wanted Himmelberg (we obviously did), it was utterly negligent IMO to not bid on Matt Kennedy with our first pick, regardless of whether we rated Milera higher than him or not. It was universally known that GWS would match any bids from 3 onwards on both Hopper and Kennedy and we had an opportunity to make them match pick 11 for Kennedy, which was already a better result for GWS than many predicted.

Allowing Kennedy to slip through to Pick 13 meant GWS gave up less for him, meaning they had more available with which to match our subsequent Himmelberg bid than they otherwise would have. It was widely thought that GWS would not match a bid of around pick 16 for Himmelberg (if you watched the telecast you'll already know that Don Pyke certainly didn't think they were going to match), but they were able to do so because Kennedy unexpectedly fell to 13 (and Hopper also went lower than expected), so matching 16 was only on par with what a bid in the 20s would have cost them if the other two went higher.

Would bidding on Kennedy at 11 have made enough of a difference to price GWS out of matching for Himmelberg? We don't know and we never will. We were definitely also hurt by both of Melbourne and Essendon inexplicably not bidding on Hopper despite him CLEARLY being a top 5 talent in this draft, so maybe the difference between Kennedy going at 11 vs 13 wouldn't have been enough to price them out of matching Himmelberg. I just think it was ridiculous to not maximise our chances of Himmelberg, because it was pretty bloody blatant that Carlton and Richmond were going to take Curnow and Rioli in between our picks once we selected Milera, so Himmelberg was obviously next cab off the rank for us.

Oh well, what's done is done. Will be very interesting to follow the careers of Milera, Kennedy, Himmelberg, Doedee, Burton and a few others that we were known to be in heavy discussions with such as Tucker, Balic, Dunkley, Collins and even Curnow who we could have snapped up at 11 if we desired (would Milera have slipped past Carlton and Richmond to our second if we did go with Curnow? 50/50 at best but possible). Perhaps our choices will prove to be inspired. Perhaps they won't. Strap me in a time machine and I'll let you know.
It was totally inept and shows a lack of professionalism within our list management. Its also undefendable.

Yeah, the bidding all round was odd

If Doedee plays 25 games in the next 2 years of as good quality as Brad Crouch has, then no one will worry. You are patient for quality - esp when it's an injury, which is a completely different thing to waiting for a draftee to "come good".

How patient were people for Sellar (pick 14)?

As good as Crouch? That would far exceed even my wildest expectations for him.

And it about knowing you drink too much koolaid.

Drinking the koolaid, would be believing he was our first choice, believing we were shocked that he was available at our pick. Trusting that our recruiters know what they are doing when they have a good track record is not "drinking the koolaid"

Thinking that the club would knowingly draft a spud, or that some journalist, or anonymous blogger knows better than our full time recruiters with a proven track record is plain stupid.

Then if you don't agree with the decision say so. It's your opinion, you don't need to agree with everything the club does. This off season has been good the danger trade was fair the menzel trade was great, picking Milera was good, but this one has me scratching my head along with most football followers, are we in our rights to ask their logic, considering most non crows people are
I wouldn't have chosen Tom doedee at pick 13 (17) but does that mean I'm right ??

If Ogilvie was Shane rogers from Carlton with a history of misses then I'd be upset but I have a little more faith than you. Is that right ? No one knows yet

What's clear is we wanted a key forward , probably H McKay ( hence Carlton taking him early ) and definitely himmelberg as fall back

We missed them both and Doed's was our next bet

I'm definitely more upset about missing H McKay than burton but that's the beauty of this no one is right or wrong yet

Without any reference to the Tom debate or degenerating him in any way, I believe we were exactly at that cut off level between A grade talent and b grade talent. We got the best of the B's in our opinion considering our needs, but missed by about 1 pick the elite talent.

denigrating? ;):)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back