Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh and for the record, ONE journo comes up with a phantom draft, the rest make small adjustments based on misinformation from clubs playing mind games through the media.

You dont need to read phanton drafts to make your selection, thje reason peoples opinions are similar whether they be Mike Sheehan, Caro Wilson or even the phanton drafts for that matter is people have studied the potential talent coming through and have formed a similar poistion not because the kid has a good haircut but because he can play. Francis was picked as a top 10 because he was outstanding I watched him twice this year and he was a stand out granted it was college footy, but no one could touch him. Sharenberg is being touted as top 10 next year for the draft, if you watch him you would agree. Jarman is nowhere near as good, but will go because of his name.

Adelaide have taken a huge punt, Ogilvie has all but admitted it, fine we deal with it but dont expect not to be questioned and if it fails critisized. If you have runs on the board like Hawthorn you can get away with it, but Adelaide are a mid pack club which we all want to be a top club so their bad decisions will be magnified

No, it's because a bunch of people with nothing at stake who see a fraction of the games any recruiting team see have group think by reading each other's opinions.

You should take these opinions to the Collingwood board.

You think Caro/Quayle/Twomey/Anderson/Cardona spend as much time as our recruiting team watching these players?

My guess is they would spend 5% as much time compared with the team of recruiters the crows have in place around the country.

I'm backing the crows every day of the week before any media flog.
Not even that much.

Their job is to write and report on the AFL. Most of them would watch 9 games of footy each week, watch and appear on various footy shows, attend press conferences, chase interviews and write articles. They don't have time to go and watch all the junior games on top of that.

They get their predictions by piecing together scraps of info they're fed and taking 'inspiration' from other people's predictions.

Scouts and recruiters are full time watching the juniors.

No, it's because a bunch of people with nothing at stake who see a fraction of the games any recruiting team see have group think by reading each other's opinions.

You should take these opinions to the Collingwood board.

Come of it, Ogilvie more or less says hes taking a punt.

As for our ability to recruit, Im sorry if Im pesismistic but I dont want in two years wandering if we are a chance to make the eight or not, and as for a GF 1998 is a long time ago.

Our club has effed up so many times I want them to get it right, by going for the longest shot in the draft on a HBF with a first round draft choice, are you kidding, it appears we are looking down the barrell.

Would love to see what exotic bet you could get on Doedee reaching 200 games against say Collins or Bonner. A betting agency would give you odds on that, they arent interested in playing favorites its about the coin to them.

It's being criticised already. Before the kid has even rocked up for a training session.

Im not critisizing the kid, Im critisizing the AFC for using such a high draft pick on a player that is an enormous punt against players that were far more considered than him. I wish him all the best and hope he becomes a 200 game player, but with that pick, I am looking at what we could have had. Im not going to eat up and agree with everything the AFC say, Milera was a good pick up, Menzel was a good trade, this makes zero sense.

WTF?????? Im glad he was on the crows list of stars as he was predicted by all experts as a later than Top 40 pick in a shallow draft. SEN reported yesterday a couple of clubs were targeting him towards the end of the draft. Yet we used a first rounder. Ogilvie in the Advertiser this morning all but agrees that they have taken a punt and we need to trust their instincts. Im sorry our team is going to be lucky to make the eight and hasnt been in a GF for almost twenty years and we are punting with first round draft picks on a HBF when key position players where available.

Himmelberg was far from a gamble compared to a player that not one person considered anywhere near first round draft selection. Punting on Burtons injury would have such greater upside its not funny, then you had Collins or Balic or even Bonner who was rated higher up the scheme of things than Doedee

Why do you say Doedee wasnt a punt, because you were told by the AFC?

At the risk of us having another battle like we did in the SANFL/Crows licence thread I need to pull you up again on your continued use of the term "experts" and your continual illogical posting and not backing up when questioned in this respect.

You are exhibiting the same ridiculous arguments now without providing substance to who the "experts" are.

So, can you list our, the Crows, recruiting team then can you list who you deem to be the "experts" in your mind that you continually refer to.

Once you have done that can you then detail why you think your list of "experts" are better placed than our recruiting team to make a call.

WTF?????? Im glad he was on the crows list of stars as he was predicted by all experts as a later than Top 40 pick in a shallow draft. SEN reported yesterday a couple of clubs were targeting him towards the end of the draft. Yet we used a first rounder. Ogilvie in the Advertiser this morning all but agrees that they have taken a punt and we need to trust their instincts. Im sorry our team is going to be lucky to make the eight and hasnt been in a GF for almost twenty years and we are punting with first round draft picks on a HBF when key position players where available.

Himmelberg was far from a gamble compared to a player that not one person considered anywhere near first round draft selection. Punting on Burtons injury would have such greater upside its not funny, then you had Collins or Balic or even Bonner who was rated higher up the scheme of things than Doedee

Why do you say Doedee wasnt a punt, because you were told by the AFC?
Because they're 18 year old kids who haven't played a single game of AFL footy. They're all punts.

As for our ability to recruit, Im sorry if Im pesismistic but I dont want in two years wandering if we are a chance to make the eight or not, and as for a GF 1998 is a long time ago.

Our club has effed up so many times I want them to get it right, by going for the longest shot in the draft on a HBF with a first round draft choice, are you kidding, it appears we are looking down the barrell.

Would love to see what exotic bet you could get on Doedee reaching 200 games against say Collins or Bonner. A betting agency would give you odds on that, they arent interested in playing favorites its about the coin to them.

Right so now you are saying sportsbet knows more about these kids than our recruiters?

Our club has effed it up?

God, you talk crap. We would have one of the best draft results on any side in the AFL.

Mate, your analysis in this thread (amateurs on the internet thought we should do something different than what the professional team did) is incredibly light on.

God, you talk crap. We would have one of the best draft results on any side in the AFL.

Mate, your analysis in this thread (amateurs on the internet thought we should do something different than what the professional team did) is incredibly light on.
But, but, but... we could have got Burton. Hawthorn thought he was worth the gamble, so we should have taken him, because Hawthorn never make a mistake in the draft. :rolleyes:

Dowler, Thorpe, Garlett...

I hope you are happy in another 20 years if we dont make a GF!

We have acheived nothing in since 1998, drafting is pretty much the key to having a shot at the flag! And you are saying I talk crap! If your happy with under acheiving keep defending the AFC and their poor decisions, I for one am not!

And to draft a half back flanker that has shown nothing fantastic and that his own club has said somewhere around pick #35 would be a fair result, are you suggesting it was an outstanding pick, it appears it was an enormous unt with the upside limited. If he was a CHF that may have shown a glimpse!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree but once that punt was taken they have put double or nothing on Doedee once they missed Himmelberg. Big balls I say

No, see, you're mixing up the issues again.

The "punt" was already taken by the time GWS matched our pick for Himmelberg. The "punt" was actually keeping pick 13 in the hopes it would be enough for him.

Once we got to the draft and found that it wasn't enough, the gamble had already been taken - and lost. At that stage we simply relied on the list our recruiting staff had prepared, which indicated that Doedee was the next best available talent. That's not a gamble, unless you consider trusting our recruiting staff to be a gamble in which case every pick in every draft is a gamble as well.

Look, it's as simple as this. By the time of the draft, our recruiters have already decided the order of the players. They have already decided that Doedee is a better choice than, say, Burton. So picking him over Burton is not a risk in their eyes. If you disagree with them, that's fine, although you'll have a hard time arguing that they don't have the runs on the board in terms of selecting first round talent in recent years.

Could they have gotten him with a later pick? Probably. But engineering a later pick would have meant ensuring we didn't have access to Himmelberg. And we wanted to have a go at getting him. So we chose to keep pick 13, assuming that GWS wouldn't match it. That was the gamble.

Right so now you are saying sportsbet knows more about these kids than our recruiters?

Mate sportsbet play the percentages, Adelaide V Hawks in the final. Why where the odds banked in the hawks favor, probability says they would win. Betting on a youngster to make 200 games the odds will reflect the probability, so Collins V Burton V Doedee what would the odds be given.

Is it that hard to understand FFS

I hope you are happy in another 20 years if we dont make a GF!

We have acheived nothing in since 1998, drafting is pretty much the key to having a shot at the flag! And you are saying I talk crap! If your happy with under acheiving keep defending the AFC and their poor decisions, I for one am not!

The problem with this argument is that it is completely circular.

Your argument boils down to "we haven't been successful in the past, ergo our recruiting is crap, ergo whatever decision we make now is also probably crap."

That's fine, there's a logical flow to the argument, but it does mean that you will continue to assume everything we do is crap until we are finally successful, which will only come after years of making good decisions - which will mean years that you were wrong by assuming we were making crap decisions.

Oh, and this entire points system is completely stuffed - the AFL pays lip service to 'equalization' via finances, then completely rigs the comp with the fixture and this bullshit.

Get rid of academies and points and all of the other crap.

I'm all for pissing off the academies and points bullshit.

Strange selection only because of our expectations built on nothing but pseudo-recruiters who watch 90% less football than our recruiters. I'm backing them in, whatever they look for in players, it seems to work. I'm not 100% confident, and it has a Nick Joyce feel about it but the recruiters deserve a chance. Some numb nut on BigFooty doesn't need to 100% confident; they do.

Not even that much.

Their job is to write and report on the AFL. Most of them would watch 9 games of footy each week, watch and appear on various footy shows, attend press conferences, chase interviews and write articles. They don't have time to go and watch all the junior games on top of that.

They get their predictions by piecing together scraps of info they're fed and taking 'inspiration' from other people's predictions.

Scouts and recruiters are full time watching the juniors.
Speaking to a recruiter the other day he said that Quayle, Twomey & Anderson go to the majority of underage games in Victoria plus the championships. Cardona goes to a few, Caro/Landsberger etc go to none. Interesting info I thought. I'll back our recruiters in though.

No, see, you're mixing up the issues again.

The "punt" was already taken by the time GWS matched our pick for Himmelberg. The "punt" was actually keeping pick 13 in the hopes it would be enough for him.

Once we got to the draft and found that it wasn't enough, the gamble had already been taken - and lost. At that stage we simply relied on the list our recruiting staff had prepared, which indicated that Doedee was the next best available talent. That's not a gamble, unless you consider trusting our recruiting staff to be a gamble in which case every pick in every draft is a gamble as well.

Look, it's as simple as this. By the time of the draft, our recruiters have already decided the order of the players. They have already decided that Doedee is a better choice than, say, Burton. So picking him over Burton is not a risk in their eyes. If you disagree with them, that's fine, although you'll have a hard time arguing that they don't have the runs on the board in terms of selecting first round talent in recent years.

Could they have gotten him with a later pick? Probably. But engineering a later pick would have meant ensuring we didn't have access to Himmelberg. And we wanted to have a go at getting him. So we chose to keep pick 13, assuming that GWS wouldn't match it. That was the gamble.

Youre right our recruiters in their eyes saw Doedee as a better option than Burton, Collins, Balic, Bonner. If the consideration was a close call I could understand their logic but this kid was predicted to go around pick 50, with SEN saying a couple of clubs were hoping to grab him towards the end of the draft only yesterday.

To say this wasnt the most enormous punt of the draft is ridiculous. Collingwoods punt at 32 wasnt as great as this one, considering it was suggested this was a shallow draft and pick 13 was an important pick as talent was available, and was thin after pick 20.

As for trusting our recruiters, get the runs on the board first, be a consistent finals contender to earn that trust, its not given because they are the AFC.

It has probably already been mentioned on here somewhere, but thought i would help you out with the pronunciation of the name.

Doedee is pronounced Do-day.
This is not a troll, i know the family reasonably well and play cricket with his dad and brother
Do as in doe? Or hairdo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back