FTA-TV The Footy Show - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Garry Lyon has relinquished his role as co-host of The Footy Show as he undergoes treatment for a mental health condition.

In a statement on Saturday, Channel Nine said Lyon, who is also the co-host of Footy Classified, a Triple M commentator and is an Age columnist, had been "suffering from a serious mental health condition".

Nine said there was no time frame as to when he would return to television.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-mental-health-condition-20160213-gmta5h.html

qs08rq.jpg
Those wouldn't go for Gary

Surely!

Last edited:
Life must be tough being a well liked, well payed TV personality..

Speculating, gossiping or whatever you'd like to call it about famous people and their lives is hardly a new exercise. It's been happening for centuries and I think you'll find that when there is some sort of issue, that the people involved, and their families etc focus on the issue itself rather than on what the public are saying. After all, they'd know the details, not us.

I also find it amusing that all year long the media can speculate on the lives of players and other football identities, yet the minute a couple of media personalities appear to be caught up in a scandal and the public start putting their two bobs worth in, you're crying foul play. :rolleyes:

As stated in the post above mine, Robbo and the Herald Sun are to blame for publishing that Woman's Day like article. Once an article like that comes about with all speculation and very little fact, of course people are going to draw up likely scenarios. It's human nature.

I'd make a few responses to this:

- being on tv doesn't mean you're any less of a person, or that the rest of your family are any more "hardened" to deal with controversy.

- you would hope that the people involved would be focusing on the issue it hand. But it can't possibly argued that speculating or spreading rumours is good for either of their kids when these rumours are being spread online for the kids or the kids' friends to read.

- the fact that we have a grubby media speculating on other footballers doesn't make it ok. The personal suggestion that I'm crying foul play? Well, I've never bought into personal s**t that has no relevance to my life, or to what they do in their jobs (on the footy field or in the media.) In any case, the aforementioned issues around their kids or kids' friends reading this bullshit makes it worse, in my opinion, that cases like Franklin or Cousins who at the time didn't have kids.

- if it's human nature to gossip, do it in the pub or in your back yard. Don't do it online where their kids, families and friends can read it and be affected by it.

I'd make a few responses to this:

- being on tv doesn't mean you're any less of a person, or that the rest of your family are any more "hardened" to deal with controversy.

- you would hope that the people involved would be focusing on the issue it hand. But it can't possibly argued that speculating or spreading rumours is good for either of their kids when these rumours are being spread online for the kids or the kids' friends to read.

- the fact that we have a grubby media speculating on other footballers doesn't make it ok. The personal suggestion that I'm crying foul play? Well, I've never bought into personal s**t that has no relevance to my life, or to what they do in their jobs (on the footy field or in the media.) In any case, the aforementioned issues around their kids or kids' friends reading this bullshit makes it worse, in my opinion, that cases like Franklin or Cousins who at the time didn't have kids.

- if it's human nature to gossip, do it in the pub or in your back yard. Don't do it online where their kids, families and friends can read it and be affected by it.

This is all good and well but this is the same media that is happy to dish it out, they are happy to twist stories to suit their agenda, they often show no real concern or interest in the subject matter or the people impacted and are more interested in getting an audience reaction.

The way some people in media land push a certain moral code which they often don't follow themselves should be seen for what it is and furthermore this story is big because it impacts on a show that despite being long in the tooth and being well past its peak, still remains an important part of the weekly footy line up, it is a bit like if Robbo & Whateley fell out, we would want to know why.

Sure Robbo has again shown a lack of care with how the story was presented but that is standard Robbo, we only need to look at how he was happy to name the 34 Essendon players then went on 360 claiming that the players needed support and care, the bloke like so many in the media are hypocrites, of course in saying that, I don't expect people to be saints and never do anything wrong, I am usually suspicious of anyone who has never stuffed up.

This is all good and well but this is the same media that is happy to dish it out, they are happy to twist stories to suit their agenda, they often show no real concern or interest in the subject matter or the people impacted and are more interested in getting an audience reaction.

The way some people in media land push a certain moral code which they often don't follow themselves should be seen for what it is and furthermore this story is big because it impacts on a show that despite being long in the tooth and being well past its peak, still remains an important part of the weekly footy line up, it is a bit like if Robbo & Whateley fell out, we would want to know why.

Sure Robbo has again shown a lack of care with how the story was presented but that is standard Robbo, we only need to look at how he was happy to name the 34 Essendon players then went on 360 claiming that the players needed support and care, the bloke like so many in the media are hypocrites, of course in saying that, I don't expect people to be saints and never do anything wrong, I am usually suspicious of anyone who has never stuffed up.

That's a good post, and it's all fair enough - but (and I could be wrong) I'm not familiar with any examples of Lyon or Brownless buying into this gutter journalism. You could probably make an argument that they're complicit in it through the Footy Show (and in Lyon's case through FC), but I don't know that either of them are known for being judgmental or opinionated when it comes to private lives. On the contrary, I think Lyon is pretty highly regarded for not doing that (and pushing for Carey to be welcomed back to the media on 2 different occasions), and Brownless doesn't have the credibility to do it even if he wanted to.

Haven't read the previous posts, but best mates don't fall out if one has a mental health issue... how stupid do the media think we are? It's either wife or daughter related!

If I were to buy into these baseless rumours (ie. guesses) for a moment, I would say that they don't have to be mutually exclusive. It's possibly that GL has done something wrong, and that he has a mental illness - or that he's done something wrong because he has a mental illness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't read the previous posts, but best mates don't fall out if one has a mental health issue... how stupid do the media think we are? It's either wife or daughter related!
Well whatever happened probably contributed to that mental illness. Losing a best mate would be quite devastating.

where did this rumor come from?

Which part?
Coke...on going rumour from a channel 9 producer girl i know well

Daughter part from music industry people who know both billy and lyon

No idea if any of it is true. .just passing on what ive been told in the last 24hrs

If I were to buy into these baseless rumours (ie. guesses) for a moment, I would say that they don't have to be mutually exclusive. It's possibly that GL has done something wrong, and that he has a mental illness - or that he's done something wrong because he has a mental illness.

Usually a non-de-script mental illness means drugs... In the interest of adding to the rumour mill I've heard cocaine.

Either Lyon stuffed up with a Brownless family member or Brownless is a dog for abandoning his mate when he needed him most.. that 9 statement didn't paint Brownless in a good way based on the Mark Robinson article..

Either Lyon stuffed up with a Brownless family member or Brownless is a dog for abandoning his mate when he needed him most.. that 9 statement didn't paint Brownless in a good way based on the Mark Robinson article..

#standbybilly

That's just Channel 9 trying to stage manage the fall out, Lyon is in the wrong here.

Which part?
Coke...on going rumour from a channel 9 producer girl i know well

Daughter part from music industry people who know both billy and lyon

No idea if any of it is true. .just passing on what ive been told in the last 24hrs
Yeah coke I've heard for years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back