Matthew Hayden snubs Mark Taylor at Allan Border Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

BlueSherrin

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Watching the Allan Border Medal on TV and I noticed during Matthew Hayden's thank you speech he named and praised all of the Australian captains from Allan Border to Ricky Ponting for making Australia a dominant force in test cricket again but didn't mention Mark Taylor. What is the history between these two?

Last edited:
Watching the Allan Border Medal on TV and I noticed during Matthew Hayden's thank you speech he named and thanked all of the Australian captains that he played under except Mark Taylor. What is the history between these two?

Did he play under Mark Taylor did he?

I'd almost say he replaced Mark Taylor...

• Banned

I am pretty sure he played a few games under him. I will edit my original post to say he thanked every captain from Border to Ponting but Mark Taylor didn't get a mention.

Looks like he played 6 test matches under Taylor:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/5616.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting

Watching the Allan Border Medal on TV and I noticed during Matthew Hayden's thank you speech he named and thanked all of the Australian captains from Allan Border to Ricky Ponting but didn't mention Mark Taylor. What is the history between these two?

Regarding the original question - maybe the simplest explanation is that Hayden simply forgot to mention Taylor, especially given that he only played a few matches under his leadership.

He played most of his tests under Ponting (49 tests) and S Waugh (41 tests), but did he also specifically name Adam Gilchrist, who was captain in 6 test matches (same number in which Taylor was his captain) that he played?

Or Mike Hussey, who was his captain
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/5616.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting
for 4 ODIs in 2006 and 2007?

I am pretty sure he played a few games under him. I will edit my original post to say he thanked every captain from Border to Ponting but Mark Taylor didn't get a mention.

Yep you're right. Around 4 Tests in 96/97

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/5616.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting

Regarding the original question - maybe the simplest explanation is that Hayden simply forgot to mention Taylor, especially given that he only played a few matches under his leadership.

He played most of his tests under Ponting (49 tests) and S Waugh (41 tests), but did he also specifically name Adam Gilchrist, who was captain in 6 test matches that he played? Or Allan Border, who was his captain on debut?

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/5616.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting

He named Gilly and AB. Obviously played a lot of cricket with Gilly, and AB would also be a Queensland thing.

Nothing in it

• Banned

He played most of his tests under Ponting (49 tests) and S Waugh (41 tests), but did he also specifically name Adam Gilchrist, who was captain in 6 test matches (same number in which Taylor was his captain) that he played?

Yes he did specifically name Gilchrist. That caught my attention until I realised he had captained a few tests. I would have thought the first captain to pick you for Australia would get a mention.
He didn't mention Hussey but he was paying tribute to what those captains had done for Australian TEST cricket not so much what they had done for him personally. Hence him starting at Border.

He named Gilly and AB. Obviously played a lot of cricket with Gilly, and AB would also be a Queensland thing.

Nothing in it

He was saying how they revived Australian test cricket. Snub. Not what they had done for him personally. Taylor as captain was instrumental in Australia dominating test cricket during the era.

He specifically mentioned test cricket but Hussey captained one day cricket. lol

I'm havn a larf, cobba

It's nothing, nada, a non-issue

Like Jana's Italian Grandmother, it's a Nona Vendt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hilton Cartwright was Bradman YC of the year. Cameron White demotic player of the year. Shane Watson T20 player of the year. Meg Lanning Belinda Clarke award.

Yes he did specifically name Gilchrist. That caught my attention until I realised he had captained a few tests. I would have thought the first captain to pick you for Australia would get a mention.
He didn't mention Hussey but he was paying tribute to what those captains had done for Australian TEST cricket not so much what they had done for him personally. Hence him starting at Border.

gilly was essentially the captain for the '04 Indian series, i doubt Haydos would forget that.

Lets be honest they're just piggy backing off of the brownlow medal. Of course it's going to be a bad imitation.

They are and they aren't - having a gala event is something they're doing to replicate the Brownlow but it is a convention of literally every sporting organisation in the world to recognise its best player.

What helps the legitimacy of the Brownlow is that you are up against 22 opponents a week rather than just your teammates. Which means you can't cop a thrashing but get 3 points because you had 15 touches and no one else got past 12, whereas in the ABM you can top score with 50 in a side that gets arse r@ped and get 3 points because none of your teammates did a thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back