Border Gavaskar Trophy, India v Australia, 2nd Test 17-21 Feb, 1430hrs at Delhi

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Go on name the other players you have advocated for, as 95% of your suggestions are purely from WA and you wonder why it’s accused of being home biased.

For instance Sutherland has been the form AR in the shield yet haven’t heard that as an option, and that’s just one. Agar is laughable too blind Freddy knows he can’t bowl. There’s wanting some players from your state, and some do deserve some consideration but there is no way all of them do.
I see Sutherland as more of a bowling all rounder tbh and I want our batting strengthened, Hardie is better for this, we are gonna bowl a tonne of spin anyway

As said before I've only really argued for Hardie, most of the other names were brought up by other people and I just added a reasoning for them

Inglis was there too but I've already said before that once we picked Carey we were with him for a while

Did you just ignore the multiple posts on agar? It's been misinterpreted

Not completely against it but I doubt the selectors will. If they consider it I’d want variety through Kuhermann though
Murphy and Gaz were clearly better than Kuhn and by a long way, does variety realllly matter? If it did he probably would have taken more than 2 wickets. He’s far and away our 3rd option and I quite like him but we just have to go two spinners and it has to be Murph & Gaz IMO

I see Sutherland as more of a bowling all rounder tbh and I want our batting strengthened, Hardie is better for this, we are gonna bowl a tonne of spin anyway

As said before I've only really argued for Hardie, most of the other names were brought up by other people and I just added a reasoning for them

Inglis was there too but I've already said before that once we picked Carey we were with him for a while

Did you just ignore the multiple posts on agar? It's been misinterpreted

So again you’ve named every WA bloke. Go on try for one second to name a few that aren’t from WA. I don’t even go for Victoria and have never rated Sutherland before this year but he’s miles ahead on form. It’s not even close yet apparently it’s Hardie this and that.

Agar can’t bowl with a red ball he’s borderline in a t20 rubbish squad selection

Murphy and Gaz were clearly better than Kuhn and by a long way, does variety realllly matter? If it did he probably would have taken more than 2 wickets. He’s far and away our 3rd option and I quite like him but we just have to go two spinners and it has to be Murph & Gaz IMO

3 off spinners seems a bit of overkill but I’m not particularly fussed either way which one they go with.

One of the things that has become apparent this series is how important Green is - not just for the future but for now - in terms of selection.

With Green, we have two bowling configurations:

Normal wicket three seamers + spinner + Green

Subcontinental wicket two seamers + two spinners + Green

One seamer + Green and three spinners should be really be an emergency situation for us, our pace bowlers are so much better than our spinners.

And Shami and Siraj have seemed to bowl OK on these wickets, they just haven't had to bowl much because our batting has been so inept.

Last edited:

Well he is not 100% fit....should he play ?

Yeah I'd play him, need someone to lead the bowling attack. Should only need to bowl 10-12 overs a day (and bowl flat out).

However, if as expected we get flogged again I would like to see them give Morris a run in the last. Let's have a look at him bowling to Test batters.

One of the things that has become apparent this series is how important Green is - not just for the future but for now - in terms of selection.

With Green, we have two bowling configurations:

Normal wicket three seamers + spinner + Green

Subcontinental wicket two seamers + two spinners + Green

One seamer + Green and three spinners should be really be an emergency situation for us, our pace bowlers are so much better than our spinners.

And Shami and Siraj have seem to bowl OK on these wickets, they just haven't had to bowl much because our batting has been so inept.
Yeah 100% agree he’s so crucial. I’m shattered he didn’t play the first couple of tests because not saying we would have won but who knows what could have happened, may have been able to get a breakthrough with the ball when we were still in the game in the first and he’s someone who I can guarantee is not going to throw his wicket away sweeping, may have just been able to stick around and build a partnership with Handscomb for example. Honestly I think he’s that important he very well could have been made a significant difference (again the end results probably still would have been the same)

He’s perfect for these conditions really, great defence and temperament, long strides to get to the pitch of the ball and smother it and can hit a long ball when needed to put their spinners on the back foot. I’m positive he will finish this series as one of our better bats despite missing two games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So again you’ve named every WA bloke. Go on try for one second to name a few that aren’t from WA. I don’t even go for Victoria and have never rated Sutherland before this year but he’s miles ahead on form. It’s not even close yet apparently it’s Hardie this and that.

Agar can’t bowl with a red ball he’s borderline in a t20 rubbish squad selection
I'm saying Hardie and inglis were the only two I was bringing up

All the others were brought up by other people including yourself

I keep telling you I wasn't asking for agar and didn't care that kuhneman jumped him, agar was brought up for the fact that neser wasn't going be picked for his batting over boland otherwise agar would have been picked for his batting over Murphy, it was getting in the selectors mindset, simple as that

Anyway this has dragged on, I'm going to keep fighting for Hardie because he's a gun and the future, the others the rest of you can all fight about

He’s perfect for these conditions really, great defence and temperament, long strides to get to the pitch of the ball and smother it and can hit a long ball when needed to put their spinners on the back foot. I’m positive he will finish this series as one of our better bats despite missing two games.
The best thing about Green is that he plays with a straight bat and a high elbow (with relatively late contact). I agree he'll get amongst the runs, wouldn't be at all surprised if he scores his maiden test ton actually

The best thing about Green is that he plays with a straight bat and a high elbow (with relatively late contact). I agree he'll get amongst the runs, wouldn't be at all surprised if he scores his maiden test ton actually
I said the same to a mate before the series, we’ll be on the brink of another collapse when Green scores a breakthrough maiden ton in India! Although I didn’t realise he wasn’t going to be fit for game 1 or definitely 2 at that point

Problem with going up against Bazball is that if it comes off it can almost put you out of a Test in one session.
I'm not terribly concerned. If they try Bazball, it will suit Labuschagne, Head and Smith in that the decks required for Bazball to work will bounce regularly, not be the traditionally two paced English decks we've struggled on for years.

However...

It's a little interesting though to think of why their method might work for them. Initially, I thought the way you beat it is the way 2011 England won in Australia (bat Australia into a no win scenario on days 2-3, forcing Australia to either try to chase 450+ or bat 2 days to draw) but England are much, much better than we were and are at doing that. Give them that time, they're going to have the belief and ability to actually go for it, and we're notoriously haphazard on days 4-5 with the ball.

If we were perhaps a little better at rotating our bowlers through the test squad I might have more confidence.

Everyone has been pushing Starc and Green, they're being set up to fail, especially Starc with his poor record in India

But whatever, not like we're going to win a game so lets see how they go

Tour is basically a write-off at this stage

Will be great experience for Green
Far be it for me to halt your catastrophising, but Starc has played 4 tests in India.

4 tests is not an adequate sample size to say he 'struggles'.

Back