1st Test Australia v West Indies Jan 17-21 1000hrs @ the Adelaide Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from Shamar I was really impressed with Greaves. Looks a handy medium fast bowler. Motie was accurate but might struggle here with the way he bowls. Didn't get to bowl much at our right handers though. They struggled with the bat but McKenzie is 23 and looks a decent prospect.

They made mention in the commentary of the possible similarity with Holder in terms of his build and the fact that he bats and it wasn’t without merit, bowls roughly the same speed, gets bounce, was reasonably accurate and does a bit with the ball.
He looked nice enough with the bat too.

McKenzie looked really capable and worth persevering with. These guys NEED some 3-test series against some middle of the road opposition at home. Some Sri Lanka, NZ and Pakistan types in the Caribbean where they can build an innings and learn to construct a hundred. Some decent batting tracks in domestic cricket wouldn’t go astray either.

I’m of course going to get bashed for wearing rose coloured glasses but I really don’t feel any worse about our prospects after the last three days than I did beforehand.

My biggest worry already is the lurking of franchise teams around Shemar Joseph.

My biggest worry already is the lurking of franchise teams around Shemar Joseph.

Its going to happen, he won't turn down millions to float around playing T20 to get peanuts playing for the Windies.

Why did we play such a strong squad against them? Even leaving the team at 50-60% would've likely lead to a big win, would've been a fine time to blood youth or even just rotate the squad slightly.

Why did we play such a strong squad against them? Even leaving the team at 50-60% would've likely lead to a big win, would've been a fine time to blood youth or even just rotate the squad slightly.

I guess the main squad don't want to rest, prime opportunity to pad there stats.

Its Test cricket. Best available, every time, regardless of opponent. Or, at least, it should be selected that way.

Its Test cricket. Best available, every time, regardless of opponent. Or, at least, it should be selected that way.

Na, the less fast bowlers play against weak opponents the healthier they'll be against strong opponents.

Plus giving our next in line test bowler some confidence at international level could help us long term

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Na, the less fast bowlers play against weak opponents the healthier they'll be against strong opponents.

Plus giving our next in line test bowler some confidence at international level could help us long term
Our fast bowlers seemed to be injured a lot more when we rested them for no reason.

Our fast bowlers seemed to be injured a lot more when we rested them for no reason.

I think the evidence from 5 test series is that the more a fast bowler bowls the more tired and injured they get.

Personally I'd rather give ONE of the 3 quicks a rest and have them fully fresh for the next series, and give the next in line a crack to reward them and get them use to test match bowling for when we need them.

I was thinking how poorly the current players play the short ball the other day, then I saw some old footage of everyone from Lara, Tendulkar, Hayden, Ponting etc. etc. getting hit & wondered whether I'm just suffering from a rose coloured perception of the past.

Some players just have bad techniques but people don't seem understand how fast some bowlers can bowl and when you are relying on split second reflexes your eyes are going to misjudged a delivery eventually not matter how good you play short pitched bowling.

Has their been a Windies player so far who has turned down money to play test? Alzarri Joseph get offers to play in SA?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s hard to define what turning down money entails. I’m sure some of the guys who have played most of their test cricket over the last few years have missed opportunities to make money: Jason Holder would had to have missed some chances before now

Safe to say we are none the wiser about the Smith experiment after this Test.

You saying that shuffling the pack just to get Cam Green into the team didnt work?
It was a safety first move . Surely there is an opener worth trying within Australian domestic cricket?

There has to be some talent coming through because I reckon this lineup has about 3 years before they go off the edge of the cliff.
Tough times are coming.

You saying that shuffling the pack just to get Cam Green into the team didnt work?
It was a safety first move . Surely there is an opener worth trying within Australian domestic cricket?

There has to be some talent coming through because I reckon this lineup has about 3 years before they go off the edge of the cliff.
Tough times are coming.
Plenty of “talent” but the higher you go everyone has about the same talent. What we’re looking for is someone with temperament and technique.

Tbh it wouldn’t change much. If you can play for Australia you will make more than 99% of afl players. And if you get an ipl contract you will make more than all of them. That doesn’t change much if the central contracts are lower.
Most players won't play for Australia let alone be a regular fixture in the team though. I can think of a few multi-sport talents that chose Cricket and gave up on it and went back to Aussie Rules in the last 6 or 7 years.

India would obviously need to provide a larger percentage but it would require us an england to also join with them in giving up a slice of what we get back from icc, look its all pie in the sky stuff anyway BCCI know they dont need to fight ICC for a bigger revenue share much longer when they will soon have total control of the year long calendar through indian owned franchise cricket and year long world wide domestic contracts.

I used to think tests would find a way to survive but along with cricket im a golf fan and the speed that liv golf came in bought out sport and destroyed all the bullshit talk about traditional and prestige protecting the games future was a real eye opener, when money men come to finish international cricket it will be a swift and silent end and everybody will go along with it so they can still get their share of the pie.

Yes, pie in the sky stuff. The BCCI would have to provide most of it, since even when you combine us and England ICC's revenue distribution together, India's share is still almost double that

Back