Matthew Hayden snubs Mark Taylor at Allan Border Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the capitalisation of "Small"?

Don't tell me you're trying to surreptitiously work Gladstone into your thread.

I'm wise to you.

You are not wise to anything. Thanks for proving my point. Small things amuse your small mind.

Steve Smith is a superstar.

If you genuinley think, with Smith at 27, you are correct in assessing his career as better than Hayden, who retired ~10 years ago as one of the greats of the sport, using three basic statistics, one of which is worse than Hayden's, then you know so little about the game you are not worth talking to about it.

Oh dear. A serious case of foot in mouth is diagnosed.

Probably 3 times he had a beef. When they dropped slater at the start of the 96 summer. He score 240 against the windies Eliott scored 150. They picked Elliott. Hayden had scored a mountain of runs. Not being picked for the 97 ashes. Slater was picked ahead of him. Slater getting picked ahead of him for the 98 tour of India

Last edited:
As for something interesting - for the medal the players award 3-2-1 votes for each match and the media award 3-2-1 for each match. Smith ending up 'losing' because he didn't poll as well with the players as he did with the media.

But one that stands out in a few of the examples shown is that a lot of the times the media went with the batsmen to give them the 3 or 2 votes (so normally Smith) while the players generally tended to award bowling performances.

Which I guess makes perfect sense because imo the media massively talks up batsmen all the time but unless you are fast or turn the ball a mile the media tends to underrate you if you are a bowler.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Hayden was on Robert Craddock's show on Foxtel he hinted that he and Taylor never really got on. Taylor was/is chummy with NSW mate, wanted a right handed partner and pushed for Slater to play ahead of Hayden. Hayden got frustrated, Slater more than earned his spot so basically Hayden was frozen out until Taylor retired. Having said that, Slater and Taylor were a great pair and if Hayden still holds a grudge this far on then he needs to get over it.

Probably 3 times he had a beef. When they dropped slater at the start of the 96 summer. He score 240 against the windies Eliott scored 150. They picked Elliott. Hayden had scored a mountain of runs. Not being picked for the 97 ashes. Slater was ahead of him. Slater getting picked ahead of him for the 98 tour of India

Slater getting picked ahead of him after he became the first Australian to tour England and make a thousand runs and NOT make the test team, primarily because he failed in a three match one day series still riles me. The Australia A v Windies game in Tasmania where he made a double century and they picked Elliot on his 150 was just as bad.

Let's be fair to selectors here. I saw Hayden's first Test 100 at Adelaide Oval. It was far from impressive and nothing to suggest a long and successful Test career ahead. In many cases, second chances are harder to gain than first ones. If Hayden thinks he was hard done by having to wait around for 2 years while he made 1000 runs each season, then he needs to look at Darren Lehmann who did it for a decade before getting his chance.

Nor am I.

I'm just struggling to understand why something so personal and private that effects absolutely no one bar Hayden himself would be the catalyst for someone to dislike him.

Well it's neither personal or private (because he makes it neither) and people have an aversion to other people who profess to believe in something and then act in complete opposition to it. It's nothing to do with his skill as a cricketer.

FWIW people are happy to laud Warne as the greatest spinner ever and also consider him a massive tool. But Warne doesn't pretend to be something he isn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back