Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sweeter would be upgrading our 3rd this year to a 2nd (it's only 5 spots, but its something).

We then take their future 1st in a strong draft (giving us 2 x 1sts next year, plus a decent F/S) and pick up Rocky for free for a few years to cover for Gibbs, and allow us time to play the kids.
Understand that but we're still losing a pick. Just saying I'd rather have one in each round or thereabouts. Not too deep a draft and all that.

The sweeter would be upgrading our 3rd this year to a 2nd (it's only 5 spots, but its something).

You're potentially talking about a 3 pick upgrade in the late 30s.

That's not a sweetener. That's a basically irrelevant shuffle of picks.

Yeah. To go with a first round draft pick in a draft that is being talked about as being pretty special.

A (late) future first and a late 2nd this year. Why the hell would we include our third? A late first and a late 2nd would be the absolute minimum that SOS would consider, and I still doubt that would get it done.

Yeah. To go with a first round draft pick in a draft that is being talked about as being pretty special.

It's not inconceivable that their 2018 1st could drift beyond 20 if there are strong academy and F/S prospects coming through.

I'm open to trading Gibbs for the right price but a pick near 20 + a largely irrelevant mid-range pick swap in our favor by the slightest of margins just doesn't cut it.

So cats after smith,Ablett,stringer and now Crameri.Even with lonergan and Mackie retiring they'd have to trade Menzel and Motlop to secure all 4 surely.

So cats after smith,Ablett,stringer and now Crameri.Even with lonergan and Mackie retiring they'd have to trade Menzel and Motlop to secure all 4 surely.
More.

Don't think they'd want all three and may hang onto Menzel unless Stringer is attainable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they've apparently only offered Menzel one year at around 200k (reportedly a pretty big cut)

Interesting the situation Menzel is in.
Does he sign on for the apparent 1 year @ 200k, to pay back the club that showed faith in him to come back from, was it 4 knee reco's?
Or chase a better offer elsewhere.
Interesting if loyalty will come into his decision.

Last edited:
Well it looks like two of the preliminary finalist this year are two very average sides who have topped up. The other is a side who has never really "gone to the draft".
There are plenty of ways to skin a cat

Well it looks like two of the preliminary finalist this year are two very average sides who have topped up. The other is a side who has never really "gone to the draft".

Yeah, but it's not as if those clubs were faced with the choices the likes of Carlton have had in recent years. The reverse argument to all of that is North Melbourne, who have never really bottomed out but have never looked close.

Last edited:
Yeah, but it's not as if those clubs were faced with the choices the likes of Carlton have had in recent years. After all, we all know you become crap by losing too much and not the other way around. :huh::rolleyes:
What we can learn though is that there is not a right way to do a rebuild so we don't need to be so headstrong with our beliefs

I was really against trading Gibbs. Midfield depth is what we desperately need, so why trade a midfielder? But if we were to pick up rockcliff, trade Gibbs for pick 10 and say swap our second next year for adelaides 1st next year. Trade in Matt Kennedy. Go into next years draft with 3 first round picks in a supposedly good draft and also added some midfield depth this year.

Also I think Kelly resigning triggered the Cunningham new deal

You keep making this statement, but both sides spent time outside the 8 then hit the draft. Base it, around recruiters are the most important people at a club, get the best, the rest will take care of itself

NEWS FLASH!

Teams who don't win games don't attract good sponsorships or players...!!!!

They also struggle to attract new members and retain the players they have, there are so many reasons why we need to win more games next year.

I can't see us not being able to improve incrementally in this area over the next couple of years. 8 - 10 wins should be achievable next year.

We were in a lot of games into the last quarters this year which we went on to lose. Turn that around in half those games and we are doing ok.

I was really against trading Gibbs. Midfield depth is what we desperately need, so why trade a midfielder? But if we were to pick up rockcliff, trade Gibbs for pick 10 and say swap our second next year for adelaides 1st next year. Trade in Matt Kennedy. Go into next years draft with 3 first round picks in a supposedly good draft and also added some midfield depth this year.

Also I think Kelly resigning triggered the Cunningham new deal

We might also do well to keep Gibbs if we don't get the right offer and also add Rockcliff.

You keep making this statement, but both sides spent time outside the 8 then hit the draft. Base it, around recruiters are the most important people at a club, get the best, the rest will take care of itself
Every team hits the draft to some extent but both teams didn't just sit around and wait for those kids to come on and improve the side. That's what Melbourne done in the past. I think there comes a point where you have to stop sitting down the bottom and start trying to move up the ladder.
My worry is we have some bad luck (pick 3 ends up being an injury prone Trengove type) Trade Gibbs for pick 17 which is a 50/50 pick at best and he doesn't work out and Murphy, Kruezer start dropping off, Doc starts getting attention, injuries ect. We could easily be a bottom two side again with no real improvement. All of a sudden like North and St Kilda it doesn't matter how much cap space we have because no one will want to come and if they do it's only because we are over paying them. Four years in a row of not actually improving as a team (I know we are looking much better and are moving in the right direction) then all sudden we are back close to being a basket case.
I guess it just really shits me when people suggest something on here which isn't "load up on the kids" and gets smashed with "that's the old Carlton" or "you can't rush a rebuild" as if there is a set formula to success or how to build a list. Whatever path we take comes with risks and I'm just pointing out that ATM no successful team has gone down the exact path that most of the people on here are suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back