Winter 2018 Winter Olympics - PyeongChang [9 Feb - 25 Feb]

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to hear the thoughts of others!
Do you really?

Favourite event:.

Winter Olympics is all about alpine skiing from my pov, much in the same way the summer games are about track. In particular downhill then Super G, the event for the big dogs.

Favourite Aussie medal:
Tbh, I'm not attached to either medals won.

Favourite moment:

Ice hockey gold medal game. I'm no ice hockey aficionado, but the commentators sounded like they were good.

Tina Weirather getting a bronze in Super G. This after injuries cost her participation in Vancouver and Sochi. She'd have been a good chance for success at Sochi.

Jia Zongyang missing out on gold, when it looked like he probably should've got it. You can include Lindsey Vonn flopping her last run in the combined.

There a few others, but I don't want to write a particularly long post atm.

New favourite athlete: .
Ragnhild Mowinckel. Robert Johansson's moustache. That kiwi kid who got bronze and see his reaction to his score Last but not least, the all conquering, Elizabeth Swaney.

Newly appreciated sport:
I suppose it's the slopestyle events.

Last edited:
Favourite athlete: Ester Ledecka. Amazing effort, the look of disbelief after winning the super G was brilliant. Then not taking off her goggles for the presser was gold. Follows up by bossing the slalom snowboard, just a memorable achievement.

Newly appreciated sport: alpine mixed teams event. This surprised me, had me and the missus glued to the couch, it was intense.

Favourite moment: can't go past the ice hockey. Just wish the Germans got over the line, it would have been one of those moments that went down in folklore.

Truly enjoyable games, in spite of Hamish and Basil's best attempts to ruin it. The Tongan cheering on the Mexican, that's a memorable moment, as was us all enjoying all the girl's choke in the aerials final, BigFooty commentary was on point.

The Koreans put on a show, I really need to get my arse to a Winter Games, might need to hit up Tokyo first though.

New favourite athlete: .
Ragnhild Mowinckel. Robert Johansson's moustache. That kiwi kid who got bronze and see his reaction to his score Last but not least, the all conquering, Elizabeth Swaney.

Newly appreciated sport:
I suppose it's the slopestyle events.
Great list. That young Kiwi had one of the greatest reactions of the Games, the pure joy and utter disbelief when his score came up. Can someone please find the photo??

I guess Ledecka will always be the one that stands out. And it was truly remarkable. I just wish it wasn't at the expense of Anna Veith who if she had won gold, would've been an amazing story herself. She's come back from multiple serious knee injuries and I doubt many thought she had it in her to medal let alone take gold.

Newly appreciated sport: alpine mixed teams event. This surprised me, had me and the missus glued to the couch, it was intense.

The Koreans put on a show, I really need to get my arse to a Winter Games, might need to hit up Tokyo first though.
Unfortunately I missed the alpine team event except for the heavily edited channel 7 recap. That's one regret.

South Korea did a great job in the organisation of these games. It's definitely added motivation to one day attend. Feel like attending the summer games would make me feel I'm missing too much, the winter games I feel you could stay somewhat on top of it.

It's looking increasingly likely the 2026 games will be hosted by a "traditional" European city, that's what I'm pencilling in I reckon.

Like dodgy above, the Winter Olympics is first and foremost about the speed events in alpine skiing. Both the men's and women's Downhill and Super-G delivered

Favourite Aussie medal:
Matt Graham's Silver, but more because of the interaction on here at the time than anything to do with his actual performance.

Favourite moment:

Esther Ledecka winning the Super G Gold out of nowhere. For some reason I was still watching it on the app, and loved how surprising it was - even to her. Her reaction was so endearing and then the stories that came out afterwards of her doing it on borrowed skis and then going to the press conference in her ski goggles just made it even better

All three biathlon relays were a highlight

New favourite athlete:
Anna Gasser. Loved her attitude in the slopestyle to try and pull out the big tricks in trying conditions and go for the Gold instead of playing it safe for a potential minor medal. The fact that she performed under pressure in the Big Air just added to my admiration of her.

Newly appreciated sport:
Slopestyle, the ski variant in particular, was amazing to watch

Favourite Aussie medal:
Matt Graham's Silver, but more because of the interaction on here at the time than anything to do with his actual performance.

New favourite athlete:
Anna Gasser. Loved her attitude in the slopestyle to try and pull out the big tricks in trying conditions and go for the Gold instead of playing it safe for a potential minor medal. The fact that she performed under pressure in the Big Air just added to my admiration of her,
Love this. Graham was fantastic but you're right, the interaction on here was pretty awesome and certainly made it all the more memorable. Won't forget it. Dirk made it even more special lol!

And Gasser was amazing. I was watching in the staff room at work and was totally blown away by how clutch that last jump was. Last athlete, all in front of her, and she nailed it. Brilliant moment.

Hungary winning their first gold medal. Bloody hell! They've competed in every WO, and it's taken til now to jag one.

From that win, I also found out they've won about 20 more gold medals than Australia. When I think of how rich Australia's history is in the SO, it puts in perspective how much history there is in the Olympics overall.

You know who else deserves an applause?

Dirk Diggler Nannes!
Yep

I hope he knows that he was the best thing about the Channel 7 broadcast (besides the actual sports themselves). Managed to get the balance of technical information right, didn't say a lot of (maybe any) stupid s**t plus was able to convey excitement well.

It's looking increasingly likely the 2026 games will be hosted by a "traditional" European city, that's what I'm pencilling in I reckon.

Who is the front runner out of Europe?

If Norway ever host a Winter Olympics again, I'm there, 100%. Somewhere I've always wanted to visit, Lillehammer was my all time favourite WO, the fanaticism and knowledge of the locals would be something to behold.

My next goal is to start my collection of Olympic torches. Expensive as they are, I need one in my life.

Favourite athlete: Has to be Fourcade. 3 gold in the biathlon, which is an awesome event. Disappointed that he cocked two other races up.

Newly appreciated sport: Figure Skating. I really enjoyed it, to the point of making sure I follow it a bit more in the future. Might watch the worlds next month.

Favourite moment: Ledecka winning her gold in the Skiing and Zagitova, Hanyu and Medvedeva performing in the figure skating.

Favourite Aussie Medal: Graham in the moguls, Hughes getting sliver was sick though. Fortunate to have seen all 3 live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like dodgy above, the Winter Olympics is first and foremost about the speed events in alpine skiing. Both the men's and women's Downhill and Super-G delivered

Favourite Aussie medal:

Favourite moment:

Esther Ledecka winning the Super G Gold out of nowhere. For some reason I was still watching it on the app, and loved how surprising it was - even to her. Her reaction was so endearing and then the stories that came out afterwards of her doing it on borrowed skis and then going to the press conference in her ski goggles just made it even better

All three biathlon relays were a highlight

New favourite athlete:
Anna Gasser. Loved her attitude in the slopestyle to try and pull out the big tricks in trying conditions and go for the Gold instead of playing it safe for a potential minor medal. The fact that she performed under pressure in the Big Air just added to my admiration of her.

Newly appreciated sport:
Slopestyle, the ski variant in particular, was amazing to watch

Favourite Event: Tough one, I'll go with the mens halfpipe final, but also loved the downhill and the biathlon.

Favourite Aussie Medal: Agree on Matt Graham, seems just a nice bloke too which helps.

Favourite Moment: Lindsay Vonn's bronze medal. Having followed her whole career, for her to finish (well I still have some hopes she will go to Beijing) with another medal is amazing. Wish it was gold but any medal is a great result.

New Favourite Athlete: Mikaela Shiffrin personally can't wait to see her over the next few years.

Newly Appreciated sport- The big air. tThought they wouldn't work at olympic level, I was wrong there. Very enjoyable event.

Also enjoyed the chats in here, everyone seemed to have a good time

Favourite event:
I like the Hockey but didn't see enough of it, the Big air was good but needed more depth. Prob the snowboard halfpipe was my favourite the quality of competition was amazing and the ski/board cross for the unadulterated carnage.

Favourite Aussie medal: Scotty James, gave it his everything and lost to a rising star of the sport and the goat. Copped some grief from a swimmer for 'underperforming' but you genuinely can't ask for any more than he gave.

Favourite moment: The gold medal hockey say what you want about the lack of NHL players but it gave a chance for someone like Germany who hadn't won an olympic hockey match at all since 2002 a chance to make the gold medal game and push 'Russia' to within 2 minutes of losing. Was brilliant from start to finish.

Newly appreciated sport: Always been a big winter olympics fan, more than the summer games so really I have the same amount of appreciation for the sports as I did before the games.

Favourite event: I enjoyed most sports. Think Short Track is probably my fav, though I loved most speed skating. The alpine events would be a close 2nd. Luge relay was great as well. Love live the luge.

Favourite Aussie medal: Graham. Loved that he did all he could and was beaten by someone great. It was our first as well.

Favourite moment: Oh boy. A lot.

Germany semi and final in the ice hockey. Semi was the most enjoyable ice hockey match I have ever watched(i have watched 8 or so, so not a great achievement). the final was 2nd. And the yanks losing without scoring in the shootout.

Koreans crashing into each other at the short track. They take it so seriously with all the death threats so to see them underperform in a way on the track was nice. Plus they deserved the karma after how soft the judges were to them. Elise Christie was also another highlight. The troll in me loved this.

Some of the crashes in the cross events. They looked spectacular and very scary. Glad they are all right but shows the danger of the sport. Not a fav memory, but probably something which will stick with me.

The NK cheerleaders.

New favourite athlete: Fourcade. Loved the mass starts in the biathlon. Loved watching a champ go around and win.

Ester Ledecka: champ. Was a fav moment when she won in the super-g.

the hopeless athletes. Elizabeth Swaney, the South Korean aerialist skier, and the Mexican cross-country skier. I was genuinely worried about last twos health and safety or if they would complete the course.

Anna Gasser is interesting. You could tell she was the big air fav. Even when every girl was crashing in the slopestyle, she tried to do a massive trick instead of playing it safe. clutch.

Germans sliding down an ice track, the Dutch at LT skating. Norway in CC. Gold gold gold, every time.

Newly appreciated sport: Biathlon was great and underappreciated by Australia. men's slopestyle has improved a lot and is probably my fav X-Games sport.

Last edited:
Favourite event: I enjoyed most sports. Think Short Track is probably my fav, though I loved most speed skating. The alpine events would be a close 2nd. Luge relay was great as well. Love live the luge.

Favourite Aussie medal: Graham. Loved that he did all he could and was beaten by someone great. It was our first as well.

Favourite moment: Oh boy. A lot.

Germany semi and final in the ice hockey. Semi was the most enjoyable ice hockey match I have ever watched(i have watched 8 or so, so not a great achievement). the final was 2nd. And the yanks losing without scoring in the shootout.

Koreans crashing into each other at the short track. They take it so seriously with all the death threats so to see them underperform in a way on the track was nice. Plus they deserved the karma after how soft the judges were to them. Elise Christie was also another highlight. The troll in me loved this.

Some of the crashes in the cross events. They looked spectacular and very scary. Glad they are all right but shows the danger of the sport. Not a fav memory, but probably something which will stick with me.

The NK cheerleaders.

New favourite athlete: Fourcade. Loved the mass starts in the biathlon. Loved watching a champ go around and win.

Ester Ledecka: champ. Was a fav moment when she won in the super-g.

the hopeless athletes. Elizabeth Swaney, the South Korean aerialist skier, and the Mexican cross-country skier. I was genuinely worried about last twos health and safety or if they would complete the course.

Anna Gasser is interesting. You could tell she was the big air fav. Even when every girl was crashing in the slopestyle, she tried to do a massive trick instead of playing it safe. clutch.

Germans are sliding down an ice track, the Dutch at LT skating. Norway in CC. Gold gold gold, every time.

Newly appreciated sport: Biathlon was great and underappreciated by Australia. men's slopestyle has improved a lot and is probably my fav X-Games sport.

Speaking of favourite troll moment

Lindsey Jacobellis missing a medal in the slopestyle again, karma still biting her for showboating in 2006

Love the troll part! I'll put my hand up for that too, seeing Christie fail again was rather amusing. From being trodden on, to then coming second in the restart (after her oh so dramatic start to the race), to getting penalised, it was a great 5 minutes of entertainment!!

And I'm so glad to see so many mentions of the biathlon. For those with Foxtel, and Eurosport, there's a WC event not too far away, mid next week I believe. Get on it!!

With the Olympics finished, but still haven't been weened off it yet. I was having a look at the previous downhill competitions. Even going as far back as Kerrin Lee Gartner's winning run at Albertville. Because I'm not exposed to it all the time, I sort of don't recognise the differences between one mountain and another. However, I do vaguely recall think Whistler Creekside in Vancouver being different.

Having had a look at it again, it definitely affirmed my opinion. That's a heck of a mountain. In comparison to Formula 1 tracks, I reckon it's closer to a Spa Francorchamps equivalent, than your regular downhill run. If there's anybody here than can further affirm, or dismiss, my initial thoughts, I'd be interested to know.

With the Olympics finished, but still haven't been weened off it yet. I was having a look at the previous downhill competitions. Even going as far back as Kerrin Lee Gartner's winning run at Albertville. Because I'm not exposed to it all the time, I sort of don't recognise the differences between one mountain and another. However, I do vaguely recall think Whistler Creekside in Vancouver being different.

Having had a look at it again, it definitely affirmed my opinion. That's a heck of a mountain. In comparison to Formula 1 tracks, I reckon it's closer to a Spa Francorchamps equivalent, than your regular downhill run. If there's anybody here than can further affirm, or dismiss, my initial thoughts, I'd be interested to know.

I Lived in whistler for a bit over a year and the dave murray downhill is unreal, goes all the way from the peak down to creekside and almost vertical at points.

Has some really fun smaller runs off the side as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back