Club Mgmt. Essendon NBL Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Stupid.

NBL struggled in the mid 90s when every kid wanted basketball everything.

It's just s**t.

That's because Basketball Australia made some really questionable choices;

1 - They moved it to a summer league
2 - They took Foxtels money instead of having it on FTA

It was seen as a more prestigious event to go to over AFL, but after those two things happened it started going downhill.
Still the most played sport in the country and 2nd in the world, it would be a wise choice to get involved especially since Saturdays announcement and how it's making a big comeback.

It was seen as a more prestigious event to go to over AFL, but after those two things happened it started going downhill.
Still the most played sport in the country and 2nd in the world, it would be a wise choice to get involved especially since Saturdays announcement and how it's making a big comeback.

I didn't know a lot of that.

Is it really the most played sport in the country? jeebus.

Yesterday's announcement could be massive for the sport in Australia. With an expected strong showing at next year's World Cup, as well as having an Aussie looking like the Next Big Thing in the NBA, the timing of this team might not be so bad after all.

Real Madrid and Man City sold out the G a couple of years ago and would again tomorrow.

Meanwhile ALeague crowds are falling.

Since they moved it to summer (and was taken over by the guy from dodo) the league has moved from strength to strength, with a focus on being a thing for young kids to do while they are on the summer break (similar to what the bbl is). From what i hear they don’t want it on Foxtel but at the time it was the only person who would even consider broadcasting it (I believe the league paid for the coverage), and it has also been put on sbs and the abc (which is better than nothing)

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawthorne instead of us taking this monumentally idiotic step would be an unimaginably awesome outcome.

I will be cheering very hard for this.

I’m 100% behind our push here - fantastic idea IMO.

With the Air Jordan on the other foot perhaps it becomes a bit clearer.

With Hawthorne in the NBL, how likely are you and 9/10ths of the people you know to support them if you were to get into basketball?

I wouldn’t, it’s Hawthorne.

I actually think it’s a mistake for them - their notoriously flaky fans won’t support them when the on court team fails.

I wouldn’t, it’s Hawthorne.

I actually think it’s a mistake for them - their notoriously flaky fans won’t support them when the on court team fails.

As opposed to Essendon fans who only follow the Essendon Football club with no thought to any other endeavour?

Whilst these moves into alternate streams are for hitting new/future markets, I don't feel the want really is there from current fans to branch out into this. That is entirely anecdotal from reading comments on here, other forums, social media and what some mates have to say about it.

* I say this as a current Essendon fan who likes the idea behind these moves

As opposed to Essendon fans who only follow the Essendon Football club with no thought to any other endeavour?

Whilst these moves into alternate streams are for hitting new/future markets, I don't feel the want really is there from current fans to branch out into this. That is entirely anecdotal from reading comments on here, other forums, social media and what some mates have to say about it.

* I say this as a current Essendon fan who likes the idea behind these moves

As a bloke that has a passing interest in basketball - I'd follow an Essendon NBL side, insofar as attending games etc.

As a bloke that has a passing interest in basketball - I'd follow an Essendon NBL side, insofar as attending games etc.

Whilst i think you and I would im just pointing out that even with Hawks supporters sterotypically known for their flakiness we can see just by the various mediums we are on the general Essendon supporter struggles to give two fifths of a s**t about anything that isnt the football club.
Now of course online forums and social media not indicative of a greater population but i would have thought there might be a greater appetite for it all the same, im not seeing that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Half time entertainment?

1336405435_fat_guy_trampoline_dunk_fail.gif

Replace mat with paddle pool filled with broken glass, scorpions and snakes and I'd go to see that and I HATE basketball.

Since they moved it to summer (and was taken over by the guy from dodo) the league has moved from strength to strength, with a focus on being a thing for young kids to do while they are on the summer break (similar to what the bbl is). From what i hear they don’t want it on Foxtel but at the time it was the only person who would even consider broadcasting it (I believe the league paid for the coverage), and it has also been put on sbs and the abc (which is better than nothing)

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The move happened years and years and years ago and it didn't pan out at all, same with the Foxtel move (talking mid to late 90's here) then basket ball took a massive nose dive and AFL really took over.

I still remember going to games in 2012-2015 at the State Netball Centre (which holds 2,500) and they couldn't fill it.... It was just an embarrassment. It's great that it's on SBS now and the ABC but they originally had it on primetime TV back in the early 90's. Think they will eventually get back to a primetime channel but it's going to take more teams and eventually having a team at Rod Laver Arena and packing it out.

About 80-90% of AFL footballers are nuts over it too, they are always at the games so it will be good to build up the NBL brand again and will be a sensational money maker for whichever clubs jump onboard.

I've always wondered why second tier sports in Australia (eg soccer, basketball) don't piggy back off the popular sports such as AFL and NRL. Having an 'Essendon' and 'Collingwood' as an NBL or A-league team would bring in far greater numbers of support then any start up team ever will.

I've always wondered why second tier sports in Australia (eg soccer, basketball) don't piggy back off the popular sports such as AFL and NRL. Having an 'Essendon' and 'Collingwood' as an NBL or A-league team would bring in far greater numbers of support then any start up team ever will.

Collingwood and Carlton did it with soccer teams. It failed miserably. The problem is not the startup, it’s the cap you place on support due to people who don’t support the footy team not getting on board.

I’d definitely support an Essendon side in the NBL. As a long time 36ers member I’ll be looking for a new club once the Crows buy into us

Oh, no wonder it failed, was in the 90s where soccer didnt exist in the mainstream.

I dare say it would be different these days.
How do you think it would be different?

How do you think it would be different?
Soccer has more exposure these days. Literally no one took an interest in the 90s where you wouldnt dare say you followed the sport in any way.

No one cares about the A-league, where as a huge amount of people follow overseas leagues. If they could tap into creating clubs on the back of AFL/NRL teams (same name, logos, kit) then it could be the conduit in getting more fans to the games as they have a brand/identity to support, as well as converting some AFL die hard fans into the sport.

I have zero interest in Melbourne Victory/city. However if there was an Essendon team I'd take a stronger interest.

Soccer has more exposure these days. Literally no one took an interest in the 90s where you wouldnt dare say you followed the sport in any way.

No one cares about the A-league, where as a huge amount of people follow overseas leagues. If they could tap into creating clubs on the back of AFL/NRL teams (same name, logos, kit) then it could be the conduit in getting more fans to the games as they have a brand/identity to support, as well as converting some AFL die hard fans into the sport.

I have zero interest in Melbourne Victory/city. However if there was an Essendon team I'd take a stronger interest.

So you are of the same opinion as the Carlton Soccer club then. It appears to have only been followed by CFC fans, thus failing. If the same rationale took place with NBL or A-league wouldn't there be an over reliance on Essendon AFL supporters to fill the stands. As I dont see many of the supporters from Victorian based AFL clubs to want to give us any help/support.

So I would see it as yes we would support them in the beginning because it's new and its Essendon, but long term how many Bombers fans will commit to going to basketball in the off season.

And if your not a Bombers supporter and you like basketball. If you aren't supporting Melb United and you live in Victoria, why would you suddenly jump on the Bombers bandwagon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back