Draft Profile Father/Sons & Academy Selections 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to know where Jon Jok fits in, is he to old to be part of an academy, or is he Irish?
If you’re referring to Tom Jok, he’s too old to be on an academy list. There’s interest from a few clubs around him though. Good chance of being drafted this year imo.

Brisbane Lions:
Connor McFadyen (Lions Academy) - pick 30/35+.
Keiden Coleman (Lions Academy) - late late draft to rookie.
James Rendell (FS - Sandringham Dragons) - Rookie to undrafted.
Casey Voss (FS - SANFL) - Rookie to undrafted.

Rendell's second half of the year was better. Good finals series too. I hope they rookie him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dogs also have Lochie Dawson and Josh Chatfield who apparently we will rookie.
Also be surprised if Buku gets a bid that early but I guess outside of the first round it's all a bit up in the air.

Im already emotionally invested in seeing Mason Fletcher run around in the bombers no.31.

By the looks of it he is a good chance to be a rookie pickup for us unless a late bid comes at 60+ in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw him dominate a game in the championships, would be shocked if gets to the rookie draft on that performance.

Consistency in the Colts is worth more than one performance in the Champs. At the moment Jarrod is all potential, has the skill and athletic attributes. Hasn't yet translated.

Consistency in the Colts is worth more than one performance in the Champs. At the moment Jarrod is all potential, has the skill and athletic attributes. Hasn't yet translated.

Not really....Performing at the champs, under pressure & against the best, speaks volumes more than meaningless round-robin metropolitan & suburban games.

Not really....Performing at the champs, under pressure & against the best, speaks volumes more than meaningless round-robin metropolitan & suburban games.

He said “consistency”.

Any player can play well in a single game and dominate but being able to produce week in week out is more important. Coaches like to know what they will get week in week out.

Also, not sure about the pressure u r talking about. Champs are representative meaningless games (just my uninformed opinion). Pressure to win wouldn’t be as great as colts in my opinion. Champs seem to be a bit like all star games where players are just looking to get some touches so they can pump their stats as it’s on tv. Pressure to perform as a team wouldn’t b as great.

If you’re referring to Tom Jok, he’s too old to be on an academy list. There’s interest from a few clubs around him though. Good chance of being drafted this year imo.
Tom Jok = The Wild One?

I suppose this is the right thread?

I just worked out that Sydney got a 58% reduction on the points value for Blakey, assuming a bid at pick 7, once the ability to trade down for more points is considered...

The swans basically turned 1211 points into 1835. An increase of 624 points. This is only made possible by the points system which over-values lower picks.

So while the discount for pick 7 is 20% (329 points, or 1644 down to 1315), the ability to get 624 points leads to the other 38% of the discount.

The Swans basically turned pick 13 into:
  • the 7th best player in the draft, and
  • pick 40.
I think they need to recalibrate the points system so that we can get back to discounts in the range that were intended, rather than clubs getting players for less than half price.

I suppose this is the right thread?

I just worked out that Sydney got a 58% reduction on the points value for Blakey, assuming a bid at pick 7, once the ability to trade down for more points is considered...

The swans basically turned 1211 points into 1835. An increase of 624 points. This is only made possible by the points system which over-values lower picks.

So while the discount for pick 7 is 20% (329 points, or 1644 down to 1315), the ability to get 624 points leads to the other 38% of the discount.

The Swans basically turned pick 13 into:
  • the 7th best player in the draft, and
  • pick 40.
I think they need to recalibrate the points system so that we can get back to discounts in the range that were intended, rather than clubs getting players for less than half price.
I suppose you’ll make the same argument next time the eagles have a top prospect available to them via FS or academy too? You wouldn’t want to be a hypocrite, after all.

I suppose you’ll make the same argument next time the eagles have a top prospect available to them via FS or academy too? You wouldn’t want to be a hypocrite, after all.

I certainly would. I think the sooner the better that it's fixed.

In the meantime, you can't blame the clubs for making the most of the system. It's certainly not Sydney's fault.

I certainly would. I think the sooner the better that it's fixed.

In the meantime, you can't blame the clubs for making the most of the system. It's certainly not Sydney's fault.
I’m not sure why you’d have a problem with it tbh. Yeah, clubs can trade away picks and potentially get kids cheaper, but they also run the risk that the player slides beyond the pick they traded out, and they miss out on a second top prospect. It’s much better than the old system which saw Sydney grab Heeney with pick 18 when a bid came at 2. That was some major bs.

I’m not sure why you’d have a problem with it tbh. Yeah, clubs can trade away picks and potentially get kids cheaper, but they also run the risk that the player slides beyond the pick they traded out, and they miss out on a second top prospect. It’s much better than the old system which saw Sydney grab Heeney with pick 18 when a bid came at 2. That was some major bs.

It's definitely a huge improvement on the last system.

I guess my issue is that the points system was supposed to accurately value the points. e.g. picks traded for other picks would generally result in similar points values on each side of the ledger. But so far high picks have been traded for low picks of much larger points values.

With the values being out of whack, teams with high academy and f/s picks get the opportunity to get a huge advantage that was never intended.

This issue is really easily fixed, just decrease the value of lower picks. Then instead of discounts of up to 58% on players, it will be closer to the 20% that was intended.

Last edited:
Also, not sure about the pressure u r talking about. Champs are representative meaningless games (just my uninformed opinion). Pressure to win wouldn’t be as great as colts in my opinion. Champs seem to be a bit like all star games where players are just looking to get some touches so they can pump their stats as it’s on tv. Pressure to perform as a team wouldn’t b as great.

Um....it's the elite up against the elite, with every AFL clubs recruiting team present & watching on.

It's definitely a huge improvement on the last system.

I guess my issue is that the points system was supposed to accurately value the points. e.g. picks traded for other picks would generally result in similar points values on each side of the ledger. But so far high picks have been traded for low picks of much larger points values.

With the values being out of whack, teams with high academy and f/s picks get the opportunity to get a huge advantage that was never intended.

This issue is really easily fixed, just decrease the value of lower picks. Then instead of discounts of up to 58% on players, it will be closer to the 20% that was intended.
You have to remember that these ‘huge discounts’ are subsidised by other clubs trading up the draft order though. Given that these trades are as a general rule, mutually beneficial, I doubt any clubs would see this the way you do. As it stands, it’s provided many other clubs the opportunity to draft kids they otherwise would have missed out on. Pretty much any club can use this system to their advantage, even if they have no academy or FS prospects for the draft, as long as they play their cards right. It’s a good system imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back