Academy 2023 Northern Academies (Boys)

Remove this Banner Ad

Was he #27 ? You don’t happen to have a list of GC numbers do you ?

What numbers are Hay and Zanker-Close ?
Yes, I believe Jai Murray was wearing #27. If you head to our board you should find a list of numbers on the second last page of the academy thread.

Not sure about Hay but I believe Zanker-Close was wearing #29. I thought Zanker-Close played really well too.

Just a guess, both.

I don’t know what the situation is now but in the 00’s, talented 16 year olds were being paid $10k to join various NRL club academies. Kids as young as 14 were getting $5k. Plus they were getting all their medical fees covered.

Where as last week, on our unofficial club podcast, we had a letter from a parent of an ex academy kid claiming that membership to the Lions academy was just a money making exercise for the club, that the kids don’t get any extra or special coaching than what they already receive at colts level.

Now pretty much the exact same thing has been repeated on the QAFL board here on BigFooty for years, from multiple posters.
That seems to be the general consensus- both academics should play full tim in NAB league to give it some soul / purpose

That seems to be the general consensus- both academics should play full tim in NAB league to give it some soul / purpose
Agree 100%. The QAFL clubs would hate that (they really don't like their kids playing for the academy), but it would put genuine pressure on the Lions academy to set itself up with proper age group coaches, in at least 4 regions.

You have to remember the Lions academy isn't just serving half a dozen suburbs like a NAB League does. It's serving an area larger than Victoria (though most of the kids would come from within a 400km radius of Brisbane).

I reckon you would find the QAFL clubs wouldn't mind if the Academy played full time NAB league.

I think their issue is that the process and program is so adhoc, the kids are coming and going all the time, often without much notice and there is no real benefit at the end of it all.

Playing full time NAB league, and genuinely competing with the best of the best on a regular basis would make sense and have clear benefits.

The attitude from QAFL clubs (and I agree with them) is that the training the academy dish up, and the standard of footy they play - is significantly lesser than what they experience in a senior QAFL program, so in the interests of QLD footy and the development of QLD talent - they are better off in those QAFL programs.

Go back to the late 90s and early 2000s when all the best young talent played QAFL footy, and the Lions reserves played in the QAFL - QLD kids were getting drafted regularly (usually by southern clubs!)

I reckon you would find the QAFL clubs wouldn't mind if the Academy played full time NAB league.

I think their issue is that the process and program is so adhoc, the kids are coming and going all the time, often without much notice and there is no real benefit at the end of it all.

Playing full time NAB league, and genuinely competing with the best of the best on a regular basis would make sense and have clear benefits.

The attitude from QAFL clubs (and I agree with them) is that the training the academy dish up, and the standard of footy they play - is significantly lesser than what they experience in a senior QAFL program, so in the interests of QLD footy and the development of QLD talent - they are better off in those QAFL programs.

Go back to the late 90s and early 2000s when all the best young talent played QAFL footy, and the Lions reserves played in the QAFL - QLD kids were getting drafted regularly (usually by southern clubs!)

Interesting comment, does anybody know the percentage of players drafted from nsw and qld in the 90s, compared to now?

Before the academy started, I reckon Windsor Zillmere alone had more kids drafted in a decade than the Academy, and thats just one club!

Whitecross (Haw), Morrison (Rich), Pratt (Nth), Copeland (Bris), Dickfos (Bris), Reid (GWS), Charman (Bris), Thompson (Carl), Weller (Rich), Allan (Bris), Stiller (Bris), Dzufer (Bris), Hahn (WB), Drummond (Bris), Smith (GC), Backwell (Carl)

So using the Lions as an example, any idea how many kids are from outside metro south, metro north and Sunshine Coast?

I’d be all for a full time academy. But you’d probably be looking at a minimum of 3 squads per age group that wouldn’t be able to train together much.

But my first thought is, the NAB League teams have extended squads. Up to 50 kids. Where do the kids who aren’t selected weekly play?

They go back to their community club.

So using the Lions as an example, any idea how many kids are from outside metro south, metro north and Sunshine Coast?

I’d be all for a full time academy. But you’d probably be looking at a minimum of 3 squads per age group that wouldn’t be able to train together much.

But my first thought is, the NAB League teams have extended squads. Up to 50 kids. Where do the kids who aren’t selected weekly play?

They go back to their community club.

If you're committed you make it work.

Remember not all the TAC Cup teams are metro.

Kids that play Murray Bushrangers drive as much 2-3 hours each way for training. Same with Gippsland Power kids, Tassie kids, Bendigo Pioneers, Geelong Falcons etc. All of them draw from pretty big regions where familes are driving upwards of 2 hours+ each way for training.

Bushies train either in Albury or Wangaratta and draw kids from all over the Riverina area.

Gippsland train in Morwell, and kids are coming from all parts of the Gippsland region

Falcons have kids coming from Warnambool and beyond all the way to Geelong.

Imagine being a good young footballer from Swan Hill or Mildura, you are absolutely in no mans land.

Geopgraphy issues are not unique to the Suns or Lions.

However, the Suns are far better at moving the more talented kids from NQ down to the GC, getting them in schools and accommodation etc than the Lions are at relocating their best talent.

The Lions need to partner with a good strong boarding school in Brisbane (maybe St Peters?) and relocate the kids there to get them living and training in Brisbane. Obviuosly a challenge, given the big boarding schools are mostly Rugby focused, but the tide is certainly turning outside the GPS system, with the AIC having a thriving AFL competition now. St Peters and Ashgrove are the only AIC schools I can think of that have boarding facilities though, not sure on the others.

Another solid win today for the highly rated Suns academy by 23 points against the Swans academy, which extends their undefeated streak in 2023. Not sure who the goalkickers were but I think the Suns kicked 15.3 so obviously they were well and truly on in front of the sticks today. I'm led to believe ruckman Ethan Read played well for the red and gold.

Good test of their ability coming up next Sunday against the Calder Cannons.

Read looked good , field kicking elite for a ruck

4x 16 yo played for suns and they’re all very good , can’t remember so many 16 yo being capable under 18 level all in same year

Future is bright for suns academy re producing players for the suns ( and other clubs )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

25/26MAR23: Round 1 Coates Talent League
Suns had a bad loss today beaten by Calder who they should have beat

Were poor by foot all day which cost them

Walter quiet , delivery in was poor

Some of those 16 yo are guns , Jai Murray didn’t play however … uwland was one of best

Hay on wing was prob best with his hard running and link up , not sure he has skill set for afl though

Swans were the only northern academy that won , didn’t see that game

Some of those 16 yo are guns , Jai Murray didn’t play however … uwland was one of best

Hay on wing was prob best with his hard running and link up , not sure he has skill set for afl though

How did Caleb Nancarrow go?

He’s the bottom ager ?

Loads of natural talent but very raw struggled a bit but did a few things that turned the eye

By memory he was good in U16s last year ?
Yes. Named the AA CHF last year at the U16 national championships.

He'll learn plenty this year playing for the Suns U18s, Oakleigh and Scotch in the APS. If he's lucky, he might even get selected to play for the Allies as a bottom ager. People have said he's like a young Paddy Ryder - do you see that comparison?

Was a strange one, thought we were gone then we kick 7 goals in the last quarter.

Yes. Named the AA CHF last year at the U16 national championships.

He'll learn plenty this year playing for the Suns U18s, Oakleigh and Scotch in the APS. If he's lucky, he might even get selected to play for the Allies as a bottom ager. People have said he's like a young Paddy Ryder - do you see that comparison?
I saw him dominate a U16s game last year

Just seems bit raw for the level of today so will be interested to see if he can improve

Off today I’d say no re Allies but he could improve alot fast so I’ll keep watching

Didn’t get any ruck minutes and I reckon he ends up more a forward or even back so hard to se me paddy Ryder thing at this stage

Round 1 Coates Team of the Week
Last edited:
Three Northern Academy players named in Team of the Week:

Harvey Thomas (GWS), Will Graham (Gold Coast), and Player of the Week Indhi Kirk (Sydney) all featuring after turning in best afield efforts for their respective sides.

There’s a fourth on the bench.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back