BigFooty Official 2023 Bigfooty Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

PICKS AND ORDER
Round 1
Pick 1 - West Coast Eagles - Harley Reid
Pick 2 - Gold Coast Suns - Jed Walter (Matched bid) [Picks 24, 26 and 27 used to match, 203 points in the bank for next match]
Pick 3 - North Melbourne - Colby McKercher
Pick 4 - North Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
Pick 5 - Hawthorn - Zane Duursma
Pick 6 - Western Bulldogs - Nick Watson
Pick 7 - Gold Coast Suns - Ethan Read (Matched Bid) [Picks 30 and 34 used, 58 points for next match]
Pick 8 - Melbourne - Nate Caddy
Pick 9 - GWS - Ryley Sanders
Pick 10 - Geelong - Connor O'Sullivan
Pick 11 - Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched Bid) [Picks 46, 48, 50 and 51 used, 101 points for next match]
Pick 12 - Essendon - Caleb Windsor
Pick 13 - Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
Pick 14 - Melbourne - James Leake
Pick 15 - Sydney - Zane Zakostelsky
Pick 16 - St Kilda - Ollie Murphy
Pick 17 - Adelaide - Harry Demattia
Pick 18 - North Melbourne - Mitch Edwards
Pick 19 - Gold Coast Suns - Jake Rogers (Matched Bid) [Picks 36, 60 and 65 used, 45 points for next match]
Pick 20 - GWS - Luamon Lual
Pick 21 - North Melbourne - Arie Schoenmaker
Pick 22 - North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman
Pick 23 - Hawthorn - Will McCabe (Matched bid) [Picks 42 and 45 used, 124 points for next match]
Pick 24 - Collingwood - Archie Roberts
Pick 25 - Adelaide - Taylor Goad
Pick 26 - St Kilda - Lance Collard
Pick 27 - Carlton - Koltyn Tholstrup

Round 2
Pick 28 - West Coast Eagles - Charlie Edwards
Pick 29 - Geelong - Joel Freijah
Pick 30 - Carlton - Ashton Moir
Pick 31 - Richmond - Archer Reid
Pick 32 - Brisbane - Angus Hastie
Pick 33 - Essendon - George Stevens
Pick 34 - Collingwood - Will Green
Pick 35 - Gold Coast Suns - Will Graham (Matched bid) [Pick 65 gobbled up. Deficit of 190 points applied to Gold Coasts 2023 2nd round pick]
Pick 36 - Fremantle - Luke Lloyd
Pick 37 - Hawthorn - Calsher Dear (Matched Bid) [Pick 46 used]
Pick 38 - Essendon - Tew Jiath
Pick 39 - West Coast - Wil Dawson
Pick 40 - Brisbane - Phoenix Gothard
Pick 41 - St Kilda - Harvey Johnston
Pick 42 - Richmond - Koen Sanchez
Pick 43 - Melbourne - Clay Hall
Pick 44 - GWS - Lachie Charleson

Round 3
Pick 45 - Sydney - Caiden Cleary
Pick 46 - Fremantle - Shaun Mannagh
Pick 47 - Brisbane - Cooper Simpson
Pick 48 - Brisbane - Joe Fonti
Pick 49 - Sydney - Jack Delean
Pick 50 - Western Bulldogs - Kane McAuliffe
Pick 51 - North Melbourne - Logan Morris
Pick 52 - West Coast - Will Patton
Pick 53 - GWS - Vigo Visentini
Pick 54 - Fremantle - Sam Clohesy
Pick 55 - Essendon - Michael Rudd
Pick 56 - Hawthorn - Nathan Philactides

Round 4
Pick 57 - Hawthorn - PASS
Pick 58 - Fremantle - Thomas Anastasopoulos
Pick 59 - Richmond - PASS
Pick 60 - Brisbane -PASS
Pick 61 - Richmond - PASS
Pick 62 - Western Bulldogs - Kade De La Rue
Pick 63 - Carlton - Aiden O'Driscoll
Pick 64 - Western Bulldogs - PASS
Pick 65 - Port Adelaide - Jack Callinan
Pick 66 - Western Bulldogs - PASS
Pick 67 - Geelong - Billy Wilson
Pick 68 - GWS - PASS
Pick 69 - Carlton - Sam Van Rooyen
Pick 70 - GWS - PASS
Pick 71 - Collingwood - Will Lorenz

Round to get Port Adelaide to reach the two minimum selections
Pick 72 - Port Adelaide - Tarkyn O'Leary

MINI DRAFT (2024 First Round)
Pick 1 - West Coast Eagles - Jagga Smith
Pick 2 - North Melbourne - Josh Smillie
Pick 3 - Hawthorn - Finn O'Sullivan
Pick 4 - Gold Coast Suns - Sid Draper
Pick 5 - Fremantle - Levi Ashcroft (Brisbane F/S)
Pick 6 - Richmond - Christian Moraes
Pick 7 - Geelong - Tyler Welsh (Adelaide F/S)
Pick 8 - Essendon - Tom Gross
Pick 9 - Adelaide - Sam Lalor
Pick 10 - Gold Coast Suns (From Western Bulldogs) (Pie 4 Life to select) - Leo Lombard (GCS Academy)
Pick 11 - Sydney -
Pick 12 - St Kilda - Archer Day-Wicks
Pick 13 - Melbourne - Kade Herbert
Pick 14 - Fremantle (From Port Adelaide) - Phoenix Hargrave
Pick 15 - GWS - Murphy Reid
Pick 16 - Carlton -
Pick 17 - Brisbane -
Pick 18- Fremantle (From Collingwood) -
Pick 19 - Sydney (From North Melbourne PP) -
Pick 20 - Gold Coast Suns (From North Melbourne PP) -

Last edited:
Suspect this draft goes nothing like the real thing, because all but 1 of my top 50 were picked up - Bodie Ryan. Usually my rankings are way off what the clubs actually do. I am expecting things to vary a lot more.

Some of the others I liked as national draft chances were Matt Carroll, Reece Torrent and Xavier Walsh. As rookies, I'd look at a few more - Jed Dignan, Ashton Ferreira, William Rowlands, Oscar Hine-Baston, Alex Holt. And I should mention the three SA talls in Liam Fawcett, Patrick Weckert and Harry Francis.
Still a few I'd pick up aswell. Hugo Garcia, Kynan Brown and Christian Mardini would be three I'd be happy to have in the National. Ferronato, LaPlanche, Evans and Cantwell I'd happily take as rookies.

Hello everyone, with the National draft now done the thread is now able to be cluttered a little more, keep discussion relevant to this phantom draft please, and as previously instructed keep it constructive rather than abusive, particularly because chances are that you havent seen as much as the selectors!

We'll be commencing the mini-draft section when Monocle wants to get us started, rules for this are standard except for the fact there's NO BID MATCHING, as the objective is just to get some names out there for 2024 to watch!

Ok I will kick off the rookie draft.

Some good names mentioned above. 👍

West Coast pick 1. Cohen Livingston.

Forward / Ruck Perth Football Club.

Last edited:

We aren’t doing the rookie draft, doing a 2024 mini draft

Oh - I am in an Audit most of today so best push on with out me then .

Mini Draft Pick 1 - Jagga Smith
PMBangers - I have communicated with Monocle who is pretty much out of action today and in keeping progress, he has asked me to go with his pick. We are aligned on this so easy for me to do.

Pick 1 in the Mini for 2024, West Coast select Jagga Smith, midfielder for Oakleigh Chargers, 181 cm and 70+ kg 28/01/06

Most outstanding attributes are his ability to read the play and weaves through traffic. He is also dangerous going forward and not just scoring, but in setting up as a score assist. Look at the number of times that his involvement ends up in a score. He is very clean with hands and excellent disposal. All that meaning he is a class accumulator but without the big ego and selfish ball hogging. He is a balanced midfielder that can do it in close as well as hurt you on the outside

When considering where the aging Eagles midfield was back in 2022, the new look team could consist of Ginbey, Hewett, Reid and Smith. Four very different players that make the whole look greater than the sum of the parts. With Ginbey and Reid as the bulls in the middle, imagine the impact adding Jagga to the mix.

Last edited:
Mini Draft Pick 2 - Josh Smillie
Pick 2 - North Melbourne - Josh Smillie - Eastern Ranges - 194cm & 91kg

Already at standing an imposing 194cm Josh Smillie is an intriguing midfielder who is likely to end up as a top 3 selection at next years draft.

Smillie is at home in and around the contest, winning contested possessions and clearances with ease. He has fantastic body positioning and reading of the play that allows him to get first use of the ball around the contest. Unlike most tall players his age, he is already blessed with elite coordination, vision and skill which makes him a truly unique prospect given his height and physicality in the contest. Most big inside midfielders have a tendency to be handball happy, but Smillie is happy to break tackles and utilise his booming kick to get the ball inside 50. Not only is he a contested beast he is equally at home using his skill on the outside to penetrates zones and open up the play. He also has some versatility in his game with his ability to be stationed across half back and provide an intercept marking option. At this early stage he is easily my favourite prospect and in my opinion he shapes as a player with Marcus Bontempelli like upside in his game.

TDS7 Hawks are up next.

Mini Draft Pick 3 - Finn O'Sullivan
Pick 3 - Hawthorn - Finn O'Sullivan - 181cm 70kg

If the Hawks keep this pick the FOS would be the best case scenario. It was between him and Draper, but while Sid was outstanding for South Australia, O'Sullivan could be the final piece of the best young midfield in the competition. Finn plays with the ferocity of a player twice his size, timing his runs in stoppages to find a way to get his hands on the footy with brilliant vision to release the handball out to runners. On the outside O'Sullivan is both lightning fast and diligent on the follow through, following up his efforts and getting involved all the way up the ground. Where FOS is at his best is with ball in hand going inside 50, where his thunderous boot and eagle-eye vision can tear teams apart, kicking goals from all angles and weighting his chip kicks perfectly. He does need to tidy up his disposal under pressure, often settling for a rushed hack forward when he could settle himself a bit more but I'd imagine this will develop as he starts to build up his frame. His athletic profile lends O'Sullivan both to tenacious defensive pressure and a knack for getting out in space for an outlet mark. Both a complete player and one with tremendous upside, the skills and athleticism to have an immediate impact yet the build and scope to improve into one of the best players in the league.

Bastyy for Gold Coast

Last edited:
Mini Draft Pick 4 - Sid Draper
Pick 4 (Gold Coast) - Sid Draper (Midfielder/South Australia)

The exact player I'd take with Pick 1 in this draft. Draper's speed sets him apart from any other player in the 2024 crop, and he's already got an incredible resume. No one else around this range I'd be taking over him

If I had a later pick in this mini draft, I'd be taking a guy like Malakai Champion. The pool of Tassie/WA players is pretty small next year when it comes to first round talents, but I think there's still some hope for a couple of gems hiding beneath the surface

Chris25 is next with Freo

Pick 3 - Hawthorn - Finn O'Sullivan - 181cm 70kg

If the Hawks keep this pick the FOS would be the best case scenario. It was between him and Draper, but while Sid was outstanding for South Australia, O'Sullivan could be the final piece of the best young midfield in the competition. Finn plays with the ferocity of a player twice his size, timing his runs in stoppages to find a way to get his hands on the footy with brilliant vision to release the handball out to runners. On the outside O'Sullivan is both lightning fast and diligent on the follow through, following up his efforts and getting involved all the way up the ground. Where FOS is at his best is with ball in hand going inside 50, where his thunderous boot and eagle-eye vision can tear teams apart, kicking goals from all angles and weighting his chip kicks perfectly. He does need to tidy up his disposal under pressure, often settling for a rushed hack forward when he could settle himself a bit more but I'd imagine this will develop as he starts to build up his frame. His athletic profile lends O'Sullivan both to tenacious defensive pressure and a knack for getting out in space for an outlet mark. Both a complete player and one with tremendous upside, the skills and athleticism to have an immediate impact yet the build and scope to improve into one of the best players in the league.

Bastyy for Gold Coast
Would you see him starting wing and in time pushing Worpel or Nash out? Or maybe we move out one Finn for another if we move beyond tagging.

Would you see him starting wing and in time pushing Worpel or Nash out? Or maybe we move out one Finn for another if we move beyond tagging.
He's good enough to play as a small forward or back as well, but wing does feel like a natural starting position for him. Dare I say he might be well suited to come into Impey's role off half-back, he's good in the air and has a booming kick so it might be good to give him a role with a little less responsability and let him run amok, backing in his work ethic and speed to cover his defender. He's not Harley Reid, but he could play in any third of the field and make an impact. The combination of defensive tenacity, skill in the air, endurance, and brutally damaging disposal means he'll fit in on any flank or wing you throw him on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mini Draft Pick 5 - Levi Ashcroft
I hope Fremantle fans aren't hoping for any local WA talent next year...

2024 Pick 5 Fremantle - Levi Ashcroft

Since bids aren't being matched, I guess I'll just take the F/S option here. I'd say he's the most well rounded player in this draft at the moment. Shares a lot of similarities with his brother, so I don't have to do too much of a write up. Wait and see to if he gets up to his brothers level in his draft year, but he probably has a slight edge in the forward half, so that's probably where he slots in.

Smythe

Stevens and Hall will be interesting to follow post draft. They're very similar players and the longer I've watched junior football, the harder I've found to rate bull inside midfielders. Unless they stand out like Tom Green, then you have a heap of so/so players often. Hately, Brodie....

I'm slightly concerned that Stevens and Hall will struggle at AFL level unless they can add another string to their bow, plenty of teams only have room for 2 players in their starting 22.

I know with Carlton it was Cripps/Hewett/Kennedy/Dow they were all fighting for the two spots and you struggle to have more than 2 playing.
Ditto on both. Charlie Constable vibes with both.

Mini Draft Pick 6 - Christian Moraes

Christian Moraes​

Height: 185cm
Weight: 76kg
D.O.B: 08-11-2006

A very clean, one touch player. Excellent ball user and high football IQ. Is perfectly placed in the midfield and his game smarts help him as he can play up forward as well and find the goals. I expect his stocks to rise next year and he can tear apart a game with his ball winning and his ability to read the tap well off the rucks. Great hands and feet and also a very efficient and effective user. Averaged 27 disp, 4 marks and 4 tackles per game across his 16 outings for the Ranges this year as well as kicking 10 goals. He was also one of the stars on grand final day in the futures game.

considerations, Jonty Faull, Tyler Welsh and Sam Lalor

goodcop badcop for Geelong

Mini Draft Pick 8 - Tom Gross
Pick 8 - Tom Gross
182cm - Midfielder/Forward

A powerful midfielder who can hit the scoreboard Gross shares some similarities too a young Toby Greene with the ability to be a ball magnet midfielder but perhaps his best trait is his ability to hit the scoreboard in multiple ways as a forward, strong
overhead for his size with a good leap he is a very difficult match up and is a player certainly not afraid to stir up a he opposition and make his presence felt. I expect him to certainly be in the top 5 mix next year especially if he can grow a few more cms.

Thunderstruck

Christian Moraes​

Height: 185cm
Weight: 76kg
D.O.B: 08-11-2006

A very clean, one touch player. Excellent ball user and high football IQ. Is perfectly placed in the midfield and his game smarts help him as he can play up forward as well and find the goals. I expect his stocks to rise next year and he can tear apart a game with his ball winning and his ability to read the tap well off the rucks. Great hands and feet and also a very efficient and effective user. Averaged 27 disp, 4 marks and 4 tackles per game across his 16 outings for the Ranges this year as well as kicking 10 goals. He was also one of the stars on grand final day in the futures game.

considerations, Jonty Faull, Tyler Welsh and Sam Lalor

goodcop badcop for Geelong
Boo!

Mini Draft Pick 9 - Sam Lalor
Sorry lads, was about to pick then work struck.

Pick 9 Adelaide - Sam Lalor GMV Rebels 187cm 88kg

Big and strong powerful mid, something the crows seem to miss drafting year after year. Wouldn't want to miss this bloke.

Last edited:
Mini Draft Pick 10 - Leonardo Lombard
Pick 10 - Gold Coast - Leo Lombard (Gold Coast Suns Academy)
Midfielder | 178cm

I'll go the obvious/boring pick in taking the Suns Academy kid since there's no bid matching as we know he's going to be a top talent when he gets going. Only got the one Under 18s Championships game and didn't have his best performance but still held his own. Then at U17 Futures against Vic Country, he tore it up at Werribee and looked a class above. He's just got a bit of everything, hard runner can play wing or inside, catches the eye, hard to stop. He'll be the Suns' Jake Rogers for next year. At 178cm he's a bit taller, but he's got all the tricks of a great player.

For the Richmond fans out there on page 3 and 5 you can see who I selected and why. On page 9 is a future name to keep an eye out for that I selected in our little future draft.
I know not everyone will agree but I do believe that the tigers need a developable KPP, after that I went with who I saw as the best available fit at the tigers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back