Training Jen's training updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Too many 'spies' at training would give Geoff Walsh indigestion, but there's nothing he can do apart from ensuring players are shielded from view. In this case, I would think Adams's injury is not too serious. Frustrating but not too serious.

the long delay in deciding if Langdon required surgery or not is the reason he is not out there now.
it was another decision the medical department got wrong in the hope he may be able to play finals last year.
The decision we got wrong was attempting to send Langdon back out on the ground. He came off before half time with a knee issue and aggravated that issue running out of the race after the break.

Langdon’s chances of being right for Round 1 don’t look good no doubt. But to claim both Langdon and IQ will not be ready for round 1 is just ignorant speculation. Unless you have spoken to the players, fitness staff or medicos. Many a player not training now across the competition will line up come round 1.

I presume that you're referring to someone else, unless attention to detail is not your strong point???? Did I claim that IQ won't be ready? I think there is a strong chance he will based upon the running that I have seen from him. I only think that Langdon is in doubt of the two.
I actually did speak to a senior representative of the club yesterday who told me it was Langdon's knee in question and didn't offer a timeline about his return (nor did I request one).
When I also asked about Adams, given it was a new development, he told me it was ligament-related and quickly added that he thought he'd be good to resume training in January.

I didn't even bother to ask about IQ, because he's clearly in the frame for Rd 1 and is one of a bunch of players doing running, all of whom I presume are OK. I would note that Murphy and Shaz are doing full training, including the time trial last week, and believe that they are further advanced accordingly. I suspect both may be ahead in the frame for the Rd 1 team before Quaynor, who is yet to demonstrate to me that he is a walk up start before either of them in any case. Given Maynard and Noble are also in full training, as defenders capable of playing on smaller forwards, I think Quaynor may face a battle to be in the Rd 1 team at this stage. It was Aish's role that I considered primarily up for grabs in defence given he's shifted clubs. But IQ should be available for selection.

By contrast, Levi and Dunn were running last week, but skipped Wednesday's training session this week. As we know, they've got a longer recovery program ahead of them.
Relative to last week, WHE was in attendance this week and was also doing running yesterday, albeit in lighter volumes that others like Crisp and Cal Brown. Again, I presume that he'd be right to go for Rd 1 barring any new injuries. He's further advanced than he was this time last year.

I wouldn't think Walsh could do anything about photographs being taken at training. It is not private land and he has no control apart from attempting to intimidate; which admittedly, he does pretty well.

Definitely not, but he can have a chat* to people who work for the club about chatting to Jen...

*by chat I mean “anyone who talks to her again will have to answer to me” if you catch my drift.

There was many people there. Heck, the photo of Adams up on those stairs looking down at training wasn't mine, so I wasn't the only one. If they didn't want photos on him, maybe Adams shouldn't have come outside.

Your tweet ended up in an article on the AFL website lol. Far be it from me to tell you what to do it’s simply advice on how things would have played out behind the scenes.

TBH I’ve got no idea what his issue is and I’m not overly concerned about timelines. For me he’s back when he’s back.

I’m more concerned with the thought process behind him being right to go for Rd 1. He had the surgery in July or something (?) and after 4-5 months of rehab he’s progressed to the stationary bike. Despite that the boxes he needs to tick over the coming two months are straight line running, cross training, light duties, full training and match practice. These guys require 8-12 weeks of solid training to get into it and it’s just not common sense, IMO, to think that he’s remotely likely to get to the line for Rd 1 and a more realistic timeline is AD at a minimum.

I am almost certain the posters putting him in their best 22’s currently are the ones that will be screaming at the club about “injury crises” when he doesn’t get up. My post was simply to give them another perspective to hopefully change there’s. It didn’t seem to gel with one poster, but it’s BF and nothing is ever universally popular.

Edit: the messaging re Adams’ issue sounds like a hot spot. The dismissal from Walsh doesn’t sit well. Some free advice Jen2310 re publicly sharing information like this moving forward, tread warily. I would be certain that your name came up yesterday in private.
Tom Browne tweeted aaaaages ago that he thinks Langdon had a bone on bone issue. I'm honestly shocked no one has actually asked anyone at the club about it specifically. I wanted to at the member's forum but totally forgot.

I presume that you're referring to someone else, unless attention to detail is not your strong point???? Did I claim that IQ won't be ready? I think there is a strong chance he will based upon the running that I have seen from him. I only think that Langdon is in doubt of the two.
I actually did speak to a senior representative of the club yesterday who told me it was Langdon's knee in question and didn't offer a timeline about his return (nor did I request one).
When I also asked about Adams, given it was a new development, he told me it was ligament-related and quickly added that he thought he'd be good to resume training in January.

I didn't even bother to ask about IQ, because he's clearly in the frame for Rd 1 and is one of a bunch of players doing running, all of whom I presume are OK. I would note that Murphy and Shaz are doing full training, including the time trial last week, and believe that they are further advanced accordingly. I suspect both may be ahead in the frame for the Rd 1 team before Quaynor, who is yet to demonstrate to me that he is a walk up start before either of them in any case. Given Maynard and Noble are also in full training, as defenders capable of playing on smaller forwards, I think Quaynor may face a battle to be in the Rd 1 team at this stage. It was Aish's role that I considered primarily up for grabs in defence given he's shifted clubs. But IQ should be available for selection.

By contrast, Levi and Dunn were running last week, but skipped Wednesday's training session this week. As we know, they've got a longer recovery program ahead of them.
Relative to last week, WHE was in attendance this week and was also doing running yesterday, albeit in lighter volumes that others like Crisp and Cal Brown. Again, I presume that he'd be right to go for Rd 1 barring any new injuries. He's further advanced than he was this time last year.

More likely directed at me and my summation that Langdon is no chance for Rd 1 on the basis of where he’s at in his recovery and him taking my statement that IQ won’t be in the frame as him being unavailable for selection. I’d suggest it was a miscommunication on Clayton’s behalf on the basis of a small misinterpretation.

Your two cents fit with mine hand in glove, but with a less emphatic tone.

Last edited:
the long delay in deciding if Langdon required surgery or not is the reason he is not out there now.
it was another decision the medical department got wrong in the hope he may be able to play finals last year.
There are no surgeons in amy AFL football department. If any AFL medical department employee is in the habit of giving surgical advice, they should be sacked and deregisitered from their profession.

Blaming surgical decisions on our physios and gp is just downright ridiculous.

Definitely not, but he can have a chat* to people who work for the club about chatting to Jen...

*by chat I mean “anyone who talks to her again will have to answer to me” if you catch my drift.

Your tweet ended up in an article on the AFL website lol. Far be it from me to tell you what to do it’s simply advice on how things would have played out behind the scenes.

You make a very valid point that is worth keeping in mind. It’s one thing to post an overview summation of training here in BF and a different thing to be posting blow by blow accounts and videos and pictures on Twitter of every training session 3 times a week. I will admit to raising an eyebrow at the story on the AFL website this morning. It was quite a pointed remark by Walsh that the club will not be commenting on every injury unless it’s serious. Have things gone too far when journalists cultivate track watchers for info and seagull their Twitter accounts? It’s bad enough that they trawl BF for info.

It is both a blessing (for supporters and dare I say it, journalists) and a curse (from the club’s perspective) that every session is open. You can’t help but wonder what the impact of such constant scrutiny will have on training strategy in the future and if the club will reduce access in some way. No other club aside from Melbourne train in the open with unrestricted access and they don’t attract anywhere near the same level of scrutiny. We all know Collingwood sells but ... ?? I don’t know what the answer is but it’s worth thinking about.

More likely directed at me and my summation that Langdon is no chance for Rd 1 on the basis of where he’s at in his recovery and him taking my statement that IQ won’t be in the frame as him being unavailable for selection. I’d suggest it was a miscommunication on Clayton’s behalf on the basis of a small misinterpretation.

Your two cents fit with mine hand in glove, but with a less emphatic tone.
Perhaps, yet said in a direct reply to my post and not yours. Makes less sense to me.

I gave permission to Ben Collins in regards to that. He asked me in advance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tom Browne tweeted aaaaages ago that he thinks Langdon had a bone on bone issue. I'm honestly shocked no one has actually asked anyone at the club about it specifically. I wanted to at the member's forum but totally forgot.

He said the same thing to me yesterday

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You make a very valid point that is worth keeping in mind. It’s one thing to post an overview summation of training here in BF and a different thing to be posting blow by blow accounts and videos and pictures on Twitter of every training session 3 times a week. I will admit to raising an eyebrow at the story on the AFL website this morning. It was quite a pointed remark by Walsh that the club will not be commenting on every injury unless it’s serious. Have things gone too far when journalists cultivate track watchers for info and seagull their Twitter accounts? It’s bad enough that they trawl BF for info.

It is both a blessing (for supporters and dare I say it, journalists) and a curse (from the club’s perspective) that every session is open. You can’t help but wonder what the impact of such constant scrutiny will have on training strategy in the future and if the club will reduce access in some way. No other club aside from Melbourne train in the open with unrestricted access and they don’t attract anywhere near the same level of scrutiny. We all know Collingwood sells but ... ?? I don’t know what the answer is but it’s worth thinking about.

I agree with the sentiment of this post wholeheartedly. I share some stuff I glean from conversations on this forum because I know that people are interested with a bit more colour.

But I don't go sharing anything on here that I think the club would really not consider in its best interests to know. My interest is in what is best for Collingwood, as the team I am a member of, and not the press, who may be subject to sensationalism and worse. I won't chat to the journalists in attendance, they're regularly there though. I'd urge others to consider doing likewise.

In fairness to Jen, Adams was walking on the ground in a moon boot as well as looking on from a high vantage point. It was apparent enough to anyone in the vicinity. That is a reality of our facilities. I have shared that I had been told he'd be back in January in order to prevent the muckrakers and doomsayers from turning Adams plight into something far more serious.

I'd suggest that the Punt Rd oval is also pretty exposed to the public and Essendon's training facilities are also accessible, but journalists are less likely to wander to Tullamarine for a random glimpse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an avid consumer of Jen's updates and the commentary thereon, I'm saddened to see a suggestion that there might be a crackdown on her activities. That the club might be a little oversensitive to unauthorized injury reports is understandable given the hysteria that often accompanies our injuries, but reports are just that. They neither extend nor shorten injury layoffs. As an entertainer, Collingwood just has to use the publicity that this kind of thing generates rather than seek to hide from it. They don't need to give a running commentary of players' health, but given that they don't, they need to roll with the speculation that results, not look for someone to punish.
Keep up the good work Jen

I don't mind that call, if that was the rationale, if he was a chance to add value in September or start 2020 late I would back the call to play finals rather than the opening rounds. I am also a fan of the non intrusive method of rehab where possible and where the result is similar or better, in hindsight you are correct but he may have made a 5 point difference if had been able to get on the field for the finals. (he may have also made if worse by breaking down or not effective enough)

Good teams play a consistent predictable brand of footy. The other teams generally know what is going to be thrown at them. It might be a slight issue in terms of prepping a strategy tweak for an individual team, but otherwise there's nothing to see here. The club should be worried about prepping players to play a consistent style that will be obvious to opposition clubs anyway. They shouldn't be worried about keeping secrets.

As an avid consumer of Jen's updates and the commentary thereon, I'm saddened to see a suggestion that there might be a crackdown on her activities. That the club might be a little oversensitive to unauthorized injury reports is understandable given the hysteria that often accompanies our injuries, but reports are just that. They neither extend nor shorten injury layoffs. As an entertainer, Collingwood just has to use the publicity that this kind of thing generates rather than seek to hide from it. They don't need to give a running commentary of players' health, but given that they don't, they need to roll with the speculation that results, not look for someone to punish.
He has either hurt himself or he hasn't, the media can say what they want it wont effect his rehab and it wont delay his return. If people are keen enough to go and watch training then the Club needs to accept the support they bring and also share in the times when things don't go 100% and know it will get out to a wider group. I don't understand the issue and would hate that Collingwood as a supporter based organisation would do anything to shield us from the bad news and hence remove many from their passion of watching and commenting on what is going on. I love my footy and keen to hear all the news going on around the Club, good, bad or indifferent.

If it was coming into finals and there is some new tactics they are looking to employ, I get it but the general running of the Club should be open and transparent.

Shaz for Langdon, Murphy for Aish & IQ or Noble for Greenwood

I agree with some of this sentiment too but it is a balancing act/judgement call as to what I disclose.

As it pertains to game style, structures and strategy observable at training, Collingwood can't hope to hide this stuff in any case given our training venue. Someone from another club can turn up, stand on the fence and observe if they are so interested. They then have to combat it successfully in any case. Is it interesting to many that Will Kelly is training up forward (and was again yesterday in match sim)? Yep, and provides members some comfort that we are developing tall options beyond Cox and Mihocek.

And yes, reporting on an injury doesn't doesn't change its existence or help/hinder recovery, particularly in the pre-season. In season, having a lack of clarity about a players availability may add to an opposition team needing to prepare multiple line ups and contingencies and incrementally help us. To know for sure that a player, say Darcy Moore, is definitely out that week is a small advantage to the opposition who can then subsequently name a tall forward line to stretch us. Alternately, I don't think it is helpful/necessary when the club would appear to deliberately mislead on the medium-to-longer term availability of a player.

Where mental health-related or personal stuff is related, then less commentary on a forum like this is probably best in my opinion. Some stuff is best kept in house or private? Hypothetically, if you become aware that a player is missing training because of a death of a close relative or a bust up with his partner has occurred, is it best shared on a forum like this? Possibly most sensitively handled by noting simply that they were missing training, which could be a function of a minor injury or usual load management. It might be of interest to the members to know, but not be in the best interests of the player and therefore the team.

Similar re player contracts. If a member of the public finds out that a player is about to sign, then it is probably best that they keep it to themselves and let the club announce that when its done, rather than potentially have the media or another club know about it and up their offer to secure the players services? At an extreme, hypothetically, if you were a friend of Brodie Grundy's third cousin and found out that Grundy was about to sign for 10 years at say $1.5m with certain clauses, would it really serve the club or its members to share that detail on this forum?

There is only so much that that club can control in terms of information flow. The club realises that but may elect to shut down as much as it feels it can nonetheless. There is a realistic risk that the more that gets shared on a forum like BF and the more that is shared subsequently in the open media, the less likely that the club's insiders can/do share anything with the public at all. The media, in general, is prone to exaggeration on occasion in order to get traffic and therefore revenue. Sharing insights with members of the press at training probably accelerates the prospects of a more protective approach being taken by the club and its officers from occurring. That's reality I suspect. All of us interested outsiders would be poorer for that occurring.

I'm assuming that Langdon had knee cartlidge surgery?

I just did some Dr. googling. Now there is a fair chance that I've got the completely wrong condition, but according to this recovery takes a bloody long time.

Probably just seems a longer rehab than you'd expect because they tried the 6-8 week rest approach before he went under the knife.

There was many people there. Heck, the photo of Adams up on those stairs looking down at training wasn't mine, so I wasn't the only one. If they didn't want photos on him, maybe Adams shouldn't have come outside.

Nothing short of an underground carpark and private access into the Holden Centre would have kept it secret if he's going into the club.

Nothing short of an underground carpark and private access into the Holden Centre would have kept it secret if he's going into the club.
It wasn't that. He wasn't even coming into the club. He just casually just walked out the club's doors (where they go inside), walked to the fence, onto the ground where the boys where with the huddle/coaches. Then went to overlook the boys up the stairs on the other side of the glasshouse. He was making it obvious or didn't care if people saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back