Play Nice Who finishes highest out of Melbourne, Carlton and Gold Coast in 2020?

Who finishes highest

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like an odd decision now but will be quickly forgotten if they can return back to 2018 form. That's the risk you take I guess.

They've had a fairly big overhaul off field ala Richmond after 2016 and addressed a big on field weakness, 100 x better placed in regards to pre seaosn injuries compared to last year and a easier fixture so there isn't much wiggle room in regards to excuses this year. Will be interesting.

There is zero excuses, a poor year will be disastrous for the club.

Melbourne should finish highest 7-15 with the biggest range due to queries regarding continued availability of so many important players
May. Lever. Viney. Melksham. Tom McDonald

Gawn and Oliver A graders
5 or 6 with the potential to get there.
Very strong best 22 but thin beyond 26
Injuries and confidence, critical early in the season

Carlton range 8-15
The planets may be just about to align for the Blues!
Strongest best 22 for years and young developing talent (and plenty of depth) on every line.
Expect more consistent performance from their 3-6 year players.
like the recent addition of Kennedy and Setterfield as big bodied mids to compliment PC.
Patrick Cripps is their only A grader but they have potential stars in McKay, Curnow, Weitering and Walsh

Docherty May be the measure of how much Carlton improve -In form, playing quarterback to fast mids into a strong forward line, or he may be 20 games away from his best and Carlton 2021 is more realistic

Gold Coast 13-18
Should see improvement with their additions and another season into their young star talent.
Solid down to about 28 but not enough leadership
Potentially could have another bright start to the season and possibly even lead both Melbourne and Carlton after Rd 8 but expect 18th again this year

Melbourne with all guns blazing are top 4. Expect them to finish 8

If Carlton beat Richmond and the Bulldogs to start the season anything could happen!
Conversely, lose heavily more than once early in the season and the wheels could fall off pretty quickly

Melbourne 8th
Carlton 10th
Gold Coast 18th

Last edited:

Carlton has 1 elite player

How many do Melbourne and Gold Coast have (as a matter of interest)
Elite is such an subjective term really, personally I rate Docherty as elite, but he has been out for two years.

Also West Coast won the flag 2 years with arguably only 3 or 4 (tops) elite players.

Now I'm confussed, one comment is 'Carlton are full of A grade players' then the next comment is 'there are no A grade players in 2020 yet'

Walsh is an elite midfielder as he has great endurance and has bulked up in pre season? And we are using cheap supercoach options as proof of a players star ability too? ******* lol

Now you are arguing with yourself. Is champion data a good reliable source of information or not? or just when it suits your argument
Atleast I’m backing my opinion up. You just have opinions.
In 2019 Liam Jones was ranked amongst key position defenders:

2nd - intercept marks
5th - 1 percenters

both characteristics of elite key defenders - despite only playing 13 games.

Be more gracious and pay attention to the obvious, Baggers are on the rise place 9th to 12th finish this year.
How many do Melbourne and Gold Coast have (as a matter of interest)
Elite is such an subjective term really, personally I rate Docherty as elite, but he has been out for two years.

Also West Coast won the flag 2 years with arguably only 3 or 4 (tops) elite players.
If you two saw my message at the beginning of the thread, you would know that I said Carlton would finish highest out of the three stated.

At least with Walsh you know it’s not a matter if, it’s a matter of when.

He played to a very high standard last year for a first year player and matched the output of some seasoned B-graders, so it would not surprise me in the least to see him jump up into the the A-grade bracket.

Tempering expectations though it’s more likely he gets that that level in 2021-2022.

And you don’t even have an opinion. You’re just one of those. Add to the discussion. Tell me why you think melb or GC finish higher than Carlton. Have you even been to a live training session. Or are you just a troll that’s sole aim is to cut didnt anyone that tries to add to discussion with an opinion they attempt to back up with something other than a GIF.
Now I'm confussed, one comment is 'Carlton are full of A grade players' then the next comment is 'there are no A grade players in 2020 yet'

Walsh is an elite midfielder as he has great endurance and has bulked up in pre season? And we are using cheap supercoach options as proof of a players star ability too? ******* lol

Now you are arguing with yourself. Is champion data a good reliable source of information or not? or just when it suits your argument
No one can be called an elite a player in 2020. Because no bloody game has been played. 2019 trends add to opinion on growth that is all. Imo Weitering Jones Murphy Walsh Cripps Docherty SPS Kreuzer - CAN be elite in 2020 based on previous performances. 4 already have been once or twice in their careers so far. All are tracking according to my eyes and the reports of others that watch training in a direction that places them in an elite category in 2020. Now if you d got nothing further to add don’t reply.

And you don’t even have an opinion. You’re just one of those. Add to the discussion. Tell me why you think melb or GC finish higher than Carlton. Have you even been to a live training session. Or are you just a troll that’s sole aim is to cut didnt anyone that tries to add to discussion with an opinion they attempt to back up with something other than a GIF.

No one can be called an elite a player in 2020. Because no bloody game has been played. 2019 trends add to opinion on growth that is all. Imo Weitering Jones Murphy Walsh Cripps Docherty SPS Kreuzer - CAN be elite in 2020 based on previous performances. 4 already have been once or twice in their careers so far. All are tracking according to my eyes and the reports of others that watch training in a direction that places them in an elite category in 2020. Now if you d got nothing further to add don’t reply.

To be fair most teams can claim ‘potential A-graders’, but those guys are some obvious candidates from our end.

Our biggest improvement will come from the growth in the 7-15th picked players each week IMO. We will improve as our depth does, and the players start playing with more consistency. Getting some more high-end output from SPS, Weitering, McKay, Fisher etc will be another huge factor.

:rolleyes:

I already have earlier. I said Dees above Carlton then GC.

Plenty of players may be elite based on previous performances. Very few become it. Shall we add Townsend to bombers elite players due to the 6 goals he kicked V Freo 3 years ago?

Carlton has 1 in Cripps. Can't see any of those guys joining him in that status this year bar Weitering possibly. I rate Jones. I think the general public are quick to write him off or mock him because how bad of a key forward he was but he is a very good defender now. However he's not at the Harris Andrews, Grimes, McGovern etc etc level.

:rolleyes:

I already have earlier. I said Dees above Carlton then GC.

Plenty of players may be elite based on previous performances. Very few become it. Shall we add Townsend to bombers elite players due to the 6 goals he kicked V Freo 3 years ago?

Carlton has 1 in Cripps. Can't see any of those guys joining him in that status this year bar Weitering possibly. I rate Jones. I think the general public are quick to write him off or mock him because how bad of a key forward he was but he is a very good defender now. However he's not at the Harris Andrews, Grimes, McGovern etc etc level.
I understand Carlton has 1 from 2019 (although I debate that Walsh is and Murphy’s final 10 games were) But i think carlton can have the players mentioned above in 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One down season doesn't ruin everything that came before. I think the premise of this thread is pretty rough on Melbourne who should be right up there next year

Shall we add Townsend to bombers elite players due to the 6 goals he kicked V Freo 3 years ago?

No, Townsend has never played an AA-standard season in his life, and never even got close. Did Mark McGough become an A-grader after his Anzac medal as a 17-year old? Does any player who gets 3 votes in AFL game automatically ascend to being an A-grader?

Kreuzer, Murphy, Simpson have had multiple A-grade seasons in the past and were generally acknowledged as some of the best in their position during those periods of time, which is why they are held in high esteem and a suggestion is being made they could play at an A-grade level next season, which isn't unreasonable.

I doubt Simpson still has the capacity due to age, Kreuzer struggles to get through a full season, but Murphy is still a high quality player and he could easily get to that level IMO

One terrible season doesn't write off the past consistent growth. If that was the case then Richmond would have never bounced back in 2017 after a disastrous 2016. We have gone from 2 wins, 4 wins, 10 wins, prelim final & dropped to 5 wins last year in a year where everything went wrong. I am confident that we can bounce back hard in 2020

Not having 17 of our best 22 missing the pre season for large parts should already help boost the team going in to 2020

Having one of the two clear best ruckmen in the game is a good start. Having Oliver not miss all pre season with 2 shoulder reconstructions like last year will boost the team (even though he did tie in the b&f last year). The addition of Langdon and Tomlinson who are far from superstars but address our lack of any wingmen should help shore the ball movement up. This will also allow Brayshaw to move from a wing back into the midfield where he starred and finished third in the brownlow in 2018. Viney having a proper preseason for the first time in a few years as well as the increase in fitness and conditioning in Petracca allowing him to move into the midfield more regularly should only strengthen the midfield back to 2018 proportions.

Having May fit and Lever a year off a knee reco makes our two KPD's look very good on paper and having Jetta back from missing half of last year as a lock down defender makes me extremely confident in our backline. Add in Salem, Hore, Hibberd & Jones to rotate down back and I feel that is defiantly a top 8 backline.

Now the forward line is the interesting one. Hopefully a fit McDonald can get back to his 2018 form when he kick 55 odd goals which will straighten us up. Weideman is an interesting case as we saw in the 2018 finals that the kid can really play and form a dangerous partnership with McDonald, fingers crossed they can. I like Hunt as a pacey forward and getting Hannan and Fritsch back playing as permanent forwards will change the dimensions of the forward line. Hopefull Pickett & Jackson can play a bit of senior footy too and show some glimpses in 2020.

Melbourne is about getting the team fit again (why they got Burgess the best in the business) and getting them back to the 2019 form when they were the best attacking team in the comp

See a balanced summary without referring to players who are/have been AA and no need to claim we have A graders all over the park!!!!

I understand Carlton has 1 from 2019 (although I debate that Walsh is and Murphy’s final 10 games were) But i think carlton can have the players mentioned above in 2020.
Walsh is an A grader already? Get your hand off it. We'll see how he goes if he's not allowed as much time and space as he pleases. Still, he won't be an A grader Cripps level next year. Looks odds on to get there at some stage though.

Murphy will be 33 this year. Can't see it.
Kreuzer has had 1 borderline elite season 3 years ago. He's more likely to miss half a season than do that again.
Jones is good but won't be getting any better.
SPS. Maybe.
Weitering has the potential.

Come to this thread for the first time in a few days and Walsh is being touted as an A Grader?!?!

Sure he’s very likely a future A grader but calm it right down.

Do you have any doubt he will be an A-grader and in the top 10 mids at some point in his career?

This stuff has been talked about since he was drafted, and has only grown more significant since his debut year.

Pending no major injuries he must be one of the most obvious candidates to transition into an A-grader of all the young players in the league.

Do you have any doubt he will be an A-grader and in the top 10 mids at some point in his career?

This stuff has been talked about since he was drafted, and has only grown more significant since his debut year.

Pending no major injuries he must be one of the most obvious candidates to transition into an A-grader of all the young players in the league.
I think he will get to A grade. But he ain’t now. They was what was said.

how so?

Highest scoring team of 2018 was Melbourne.

While Burgess has worked at the highest caliber of soccer clubs in the world (Liverpool and Arsenal). Who do you think is better in the AFL than him atm?
I'm not sure I'd call Arsenal high caliber :(

Back